Star Trek Delta Communicator Build

Captain Dunsel

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
For my last project of 2022, I decided to build up a replica of the Paul Allen / Delta Communicator. This has always been my favorite of the 10 communicators built for the series; must likely because it can be so easily identified in key episodes like This Side of Paradise, The Doomsday Machine, Bread and Circuses, etc.

The build is intended to capture the prop right before it was last auctioned off (and had not yet lost the center jewel indicator and the antenna lid hinge rod became dislodged from the upper shell), with over 50 years of age, set use, and rough handling. I used vintage parts (such as vintage T-Jet hubs for the control and jewel bases) and the currently identified (and noxious) vintage adhesives.

Here is the original…

A2FE04CB-1C1A-4EBC-B8CA-45B7D6C7DFF4.jpeg

B6351332-1F1B-46A7-A02B-449675118815.jpeg
8DF74965-53F8-44BC-AC0E-E95CC0A50387.png

And here’s my build…

BAFFD5EF-87B5-4E48-846F-7AD8ECC4EF3E.png
9850D68C-9B56-4219-A6E4-D619FC99B5C2.jpeg
8E36014D-B403-46CD-AD04-FC414477F332.jpeg
0264AA4D-4206-45E5-AFB9-B820E1663FAF.jpeg
0B27F78A-2460-4895-A442-5D3A57991FED.jpeg

E991BCD8-C7E4-465F-B0D6-82A55CD3827A.jpeg

12B7CCC4-7BF4-4483-A401-6DA1515CAFEC.jpeg

BF52801C-CEB5-4CCB-A6EE-436B8AA91400.jpeg

Last edited:
That looks great. I'm torn about having a communicator or phaser as they look now or how they looked new. As much as I would love to have GJ's hero phaser I hate the way it looks now.

I have a mix of both types of props in my collection…as first built / as they are now.

Probably the most frequently seen “as it is today” vs. “as it was during production” build, on this board, is the V2 Lightsaber…complete with greater paint loss than it had during the filming of ROTJ, loose gaffer’s tape on the neck, etc.

Last edited:
I was recently ruminating on how abstract certain aspects of this hobby can be, and this thread just brings it all up, again.

Are we replicating the fictional objects? The on-set props, warts and all? How idealized do you go? You really could go nuts if you dive too deeply into these questions.

That all said, this is a gorgeous build. I’ve been thinking recently about finally getting around to building my DStines Alpha kit, and this is more motivation.

I was recently ruminating on how abstract certain aspects of this hobby can be, and this thread just brings it all up, again.

Are we replicating the fictional objects? The on-set props, warts and all? How idealized do you go? You really could go nuts if you dive too deeply into these questions.

That all said, this is a gorgeous build. I’ve been thinking recently about finally getting around to building my DStines Alpha kit, and this is more motivation.

I’m pretty firmly in the “as built for production” school of the hobby vs. replicating props as “idealized fictional items”. I’m pretty dogmatic about not giving replicas finishes or functions that the originals did not have….thus no sounds or lights or high gloss finishes on replicas in which the originals didn’t have them.

I’m pretty firmly in the “as built for production” school of the hobby vs. replicating props as “idealized fictional items”. I’m pretty dogmatic about not giving replicas finishes or functions that the originals did not have….thus no sounds or lights or high gloss finishes on replicas in which the originals didn’t have them.

Yeah, I tend to skew the same way, but not always. It can be a fine line, that’s for sure. How far is TOO far? Props are only made to look good on camera, and often look pretty junky in person.

I try to find a balance between wonkiness and cleanliness.

I have about a half dozen comm's made from the JLong kits and for the most part they don't look new but don't also don't look like they are 60 years old. That being said I really like the just issued look of the TWC comm's and phasers. So, I guess it could be said I go both ways. ;)

I have about a half dozen comm's made from the JLong kits and for the most part they don't look new but don't also don't look like they are 60 years old. That being said I really like the just issued look of the TWC comm's and phasers. So, I guess it could be said I go both ways. ;)

Of course, the Wand is a gorgeous, idealized piece with amazing features. But..it somehow doesn't feel as satisfying to hold as an accurate replica made from the correct materials, with stopwatch ticking away.

Also, I find the Stines kit to be more accurate than the Long, particularly in regards to the antenna grid. Both are great kits, though.

And I believe that Mr. Long continues to deny Alpha's authenticity, well over a decade later. His era of relevancy has long since faded, and so he remains inclined to take potshots at folks like the dearly departed HeroComm. Shame.

Of course, the Wand is a gorgeous, idealized piece with amazing features. But..it somehow doesn't feel as satisfying to hold as an accurate replica made from the correct materials, with stopwatch ticking away.

Agreed…there’s something very satisfying about holding something that is as close as possible to the original prop, warts and all, that an idealized replica just doesn’t come close to.

Agreed…there’s something very satisfying about holding something that is as close as possible to the original prop, warts and all, that an idealized replica just doesn’t come close to.

Yep. To say nothing of one you personally built up with your own hands.

Again, the Wand is great, but it's a different experience.

I think part of it is that we prop fans go beyond just wanting mere replicas of cool, in-universe sci-fi objects. We respect the construction methods and the people and the lore behind these objects, and want to honor all of that.

I'm far more attached to my ANH Luke Graflex replica (which I built myself, and added things like the mystery rivets to) than I am to my clean, idealized, pristine Master Replicas version.

The TOS communicator is a Holy Grail for many.

Also, I find the Stines kit to be more accurate than the Long, particularly in regards to the antenna grid. Both are great kits, though.

And I believe that Mr. Long continues to deny Alpha's authenticity, well over a decade later. His era of relevancy has long since faded, and so he remains inclined to take potshots at folks like the dearly departed HeroComm. Shame.
I wish I had gotten a couple of Dennis's Comm kits, I have a few of his other pieces, but at the time I was on the outs with the TPZ and didn't know about the run., Plus without knowing about the history between the 2, I made the mistake of asking him if he would do a buildup of the JLlong P1 for me, you can imagine how well that was received.

I wish I had gotten a couple of Dennis's Comm kits, I have a few of his other pieces, but at the time I was on the outs with the TPZ and didn't know about the run., Plus without knowing about the history between the 2, I made the mistake of asking him if he would do a buildup of the JLlong P1 for me, you can imagine how well that was received.

I’m not intimately versed in all the rivalries and whatnot of that era, but this doesn’t surprise me.

As last year’s phaser auction proved, “experts” trying to lord it over each other (and, y’know, selling forgeries for a quarter-million dollars) are a big part of the dark underbelly of this hobby. Sigh.

06717D85-CDD0-49AF-AEB9-B161628D35AB.jpeg

Is it true the communicator started out a pencil box? (Images snagged from google). I had one of these and didn’t even know!

Attachments

• 26CDB911-149B-4E08-A257-23DCC07E33BB.jpeg
    26CDB911-149B-4E08-A257-23DCC07E33BB.jpeg
    27.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 80B6408D-073F-4832-A6A8-69C494A8B8D6.jpeg
    80B6408D-073F-4832-A6A8-69C494A8B8D6.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 43

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back