Star Trek Beyond

They renamed escape pods Kelvin pods? Oh, JJ. I know you want to cement your mark on whatever series you work on, but this is contrived. They're escape pods. They don't need to be renamed. Real world Airlines didn't rename their reinforced cockpit doors "United 93 doors".

And it's not just the indulgence factor either. The best way Star Trek honors a ship is by naming future ships after it. If the Kelvin represents such a monumental piece of Starfleet history that they name libraries and generic escape pods after it, why not just rename the Enterprise the Kelvin (NCC-0514-A)? It would make more figurative sense for the ship that Kirk commands to be named after the ship his father was briefly the Captain of. There's no reason for the Enterprise name anymore.

That's not why he used "Kelvin"

JJ uses that in lots of his projects because that was the name of someone very close to him (His Father, I think)

That's why in Star Wars Ep. 7 he named a formation near where Rey lived "Kelvin Ridge" and so on. It's not because of the U.S.S. Kelvin precisely... that ship was named that by JJ for this specific reason. As a film maker he does this alot... same as why he puts Greg Grunberg in almost every film somewhere.

New trailer, MORE ACTION! Kirk has personal issues with motivation, Spock still has a girlfriend, and the Enterprise takes a beating. We've already seen this movie twice. Kill this timeline already.

To me, I can't stand the idea that Kirk is still finding himself and his role.

Remember that TOS episode where he can't help but fall in love with that caucasian babe thanks to pheromones, but at the end Bones points out no cure was required because the ship/command was really what he loved the most? Kirk lived for the captains chair and space exploration. As did almost everyone on board every Enterprise.

There have even been hints of relationship fatigue in Beyond due to their time spent on the mission. This really goes against the spirit of the TV franchise where almost every crew character spent their entire lives preparing/working just for the opportunity to be out there exploring space and the unknown.

Instead, we get a motorcycle.

So they're going BACK to the Archer type NS-01 space craft?

Looks like they found an old one and are making their escape with it.

What I'd like to see is their making it back, and being given NCC-1701-2, which will either be the real TOS Enterprise or the refit. The current Enterprise design still bothers me, and if I do see the film, it'll be difficult for me not to cheer when it gets shredded.

I heard that they were doing away with the JJverse at some point but I thought they meant the TV show and not having it effect the movie end of things.

Hopefully once this one is excreted out to the masses that's the end of this timeline.

doubt it. they no longer need to cater to the nerd crowd who kept the flame alive anymore.

all they have to do is make a reboot that's popular to the nostalgia mass, and when that fails, try again.

I don't know if Rihanna hurt herself when "she hit a wall" but I think she might have hurt herself going for some of those high notes. They hurt me.

You are talking about one of the most accomplished artists of all time. You may want to get your ears checked.

wiki said:
With sales exceeding 200 million records worldwide, Rihanna is one of the best-selling artists of all time. Rihanna is the youngest and fastest solo artist to earn fourteen number-one singles on the Billboard Hot 100, and was named the Digital Songs Artist of the 2000s decade and the top Hot 100 artist of the 2010s decade by Billboard.[3][4][5] Among numerous awards and accolades, Rihanna has won eight Grammy Awards, eightAmerican Music Awards, 23 Billboard Music Awards, two BRIT Awards, and the inaugural Icon Award at the American Music Awards of 2013. Widely recognized for frequently reinventing her style and image, she received the Fashion Icon lifetime achievement award from the Council of Fashion Designers of America in 2014. Forbes ranked Rihanna the fourth most powerful celebrity of 2012, and was named one of Time's "100 Most Influential People in the World" later that year.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not why he used "Kelvin"

JJ uses that in lots of his projects because that was the name of someone very close to him (His Father, I think)

That's why in Star Wars Ep. 7 he named a formation near where Rey lived "Kelvin Ridge" and so on. It's not because of the U.S.S. Kelvin precisely... that ship was named that by JJ for this specific reason. As a film maker he does this alot... same as why he puts Greg Grunberg in almost every film somewhere.

And it is also the name of the effects company (Kelvin Optical) under the Bad Robot umbrella and housed in the same building in Santa Monica. You will see it in the end credits of Star Trek, as you will in the end credits of The Force Awakens. Again, named after his grandfather.

Do we know how different this story is then the original Orci script?

Given that Roberto Orci is not listed among the writers, I think Paramount took a look at his original script, threw it out the window, than threw him out the window. Granted, that's my interpretation, but it sure must have felt like it to him. For Paramount to disregard his script and hire two completely different writers who never once mention Bob's original script is all anyone needs to know about how much of Bob's script is going to be in the finished product. None at all.

I'm sure Orci will no doubt brag to everyone about how he's still a producer on the film... just not the producer who gets their name put onto the trailer as a selling point. Hehe.

FROM PRODUCER ROBERTO "F&%# OFF!" ORCI

And McDonald's sells an estimated 6.5 million hamburgers worldwide every day. That doesn't mean they're good. :D

oh, it doesn't matter if it's good for the franchise, or good in general. if some untalented ceo thinks it's a perfect fit to get more casual fans into the seats...then so be it, it be good ;o).

this entire choice screams to me 'some ceo wanted to meet rhianna, and this was his excuse ' ;o)

oh, it doesn't matter if it's good for the franchise, or good in general. if some untalented ceo thinks it's a perfect fit to get more casual fans into the seats...then so be it, it be good ;o).

this entire choice screams to me 'some ceo wanted to meet rhianna, and this was his excuse ' ;o)

I have to agree...why, oh why do they include current trendiness in a film set in the future....it makes no sense. It becomes dated before it's even released practically.

Does eveything have to cowtow to corporate greed? Sheesh!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back