Star Trek "Best of Both Worlds" in theaters April 25th

I thought the Cpt got "borged" in 1st contact? I'm watching the last episode of of season 2 tonight, loved seeing "Q who" again and my daughter began building a borg arm from a crackerbox and silver paint as soon as we finished it! ;). Is this the "movie" I'm thinking of? (assimilate this!) I haven't seen TNG since it originaly aired.

Nope. Wait until you get to the awesomeness that is the season finale of Season 3...

Nope. Wait until you get to the awesomeness that is the season finale of Season 3...
Your worse than a crack dealer Sir! ;) :lol :lol

I checked the movie site and the closest theater is 60 miles from me, so I'll have to be satisfied with a 40" screen (at least I can have cocktails at my theater ;)) Have fun at the show everybody!!

I thought the Cpt got "borged" in 1st contact?... Is this the "movie" I'm thinking of? (assimilate this!) I haven't seen TNG since it originaly aired.

As Michael said, no it isn't; however the opening of First Contact is supposed to be a reimagining of what happened to Capt Picard in Best of Both Worlds.

And yeah... easily TNG at its finest hour! :D

Kevin

As Michael said, no it isn't; however the opening of First Contact is supposed to be a reimagining of what happened to Capt Picard in Best of Both Worlds.

And yeah... easily TNG at its finest hour! :D

Kevin
Thanks Kevin, I've never seen 1st contact, I just remember the trailer for it.
Love that signature BTW! :thumbsup :lol

Picture quality was very good. Colors were bright and blacks were nice and dark. I was disappointed in the sound, nothing spectacular there. They could have done a better job splicing at the commercial breaks. The interviews and out takes were great. It was a lot of fun seeing TNG on the big screen. We didn't have a sell out but it was a good crowd that really got into the show.

Good crowd and a great show. :) I too noticed the one shot of SD but I think that was it.

Anyone else annoyed that they showed the featurette prior to the show? It really bored my son. Would have been nice to have it at the end instead. Also, WTH was Seth McFarlane doing in it? In 1989 he was in the same spot I was, on the couch watching. He didn't have anything to add other than the fan perspective which I already have. My buddies and I can say "wow it was cool", for behind the scenes I want to hear from people who were there.

Totally agreed about the sound. I wanted the theater to shake and rumble.
I'm one of the many fans of Greg Jein. Great to see him talking about the ships he built.
I was waiting to see 40+ destroyed starships floating in the sea of Wolf 359. I think it was the only part I was a little disappointed at as they could have filled up the screen. But seeing the clarity of the ships they did film and the shots in the documentary was great.
Presentation was great. Blooper reel at the end was hilarious. I never thought of Picard as ever joking around and seeing Patrick Stewart making rolling eyes and giggling was funny and changed the character a little for me. Totally worth it.
Audience was nearly full, totally engaged, and a big round of applause at the end. Couple of guys were whistling when Marina was talking in her interview.
Took one of my sons. He asked during the featurette at the beginning if it was the movie. I said no. Then he asked if it was a commercial. I said yes.

The issue with showing the documentary in front of the film was that it showed all of the important moments from the*entire whole episode, including the ending! If it had to be in front of the film, I would have cut the documentary down to a third, or even a quarter of it's running length and slap on the "See the full documentary on the BluRay set!" at the end. Although I am thankful that Jonathan Frakes openly admitted that they should have used Shelby more often in the series since she was a very well done character who could have had tremendous staying power. When the Star Trek TNG novel writers were doing their own spin off series that would feature Shelby, they actually asked Ron Moore if they had any plans on bringing her back in any way, to which he responded:

Ronald D. Moore said:
"No way – do what you want with her."

Sigh.

As for Seth McFarlane? Yeah, he probably heard that Robert Meyer Burnett was doing the bonus material and begged him to be a part of it. While I don't mind a fan's perspective on the event that this two-parter had, it would have been nice if they got someone who actually had something informative to say about the episode. Don't forget that this is the same guy who says that there's not enough material in Star Trek to do a multi-part dedicated series unlike Star Wars.... which at this point only has seven movies.

Couple of things I noted.
- The long pan out of the Borg Interior from "Q Who" was used. You will note that there are indeed some Borg moving in the back ground and, for reasons that don't make sense, seeing Borg drones using "First Contact" style regeneration alcoves.
- Thanks to the remastering work of the HD team, the phaser effects now more clearly showcase that they're on a multi-frequency firing rate, as evidence by the blue/orange coloring of the beam itself. Looking back there's certainly evidence that it was there so I'm glad it's made more clear.
- In the briefing room, whenever the crew are doing something that involves the wall display, you can now see the reflection of whatever is on the screen on the table's very reflective surface.
- When Riker orders Data to take the shuttle in unpowered, the next shot of the shuttle model now has a "powering down" effect before it cuts back to Data and Worf on the inside.
- The new Borg Cube explosion was a lot better than I thought it was going to be. Looking back at the original, it really does look like a very small model being blown up with no sense of scale. Not a bad change.

Overall, it was worth the hour and a half drive to the theater to see it.

Before I go, there is one minor gripe I have about this episode that just bugs me.

CRUSHER: With our recent experience in nanotechnology, we might be able to introduce a destructive breed of nanites into the Borg.
SHELBY: Nanites?
DATA: Robots small enough to enter living cells.
RIKER: How long would it take to execute that?
CRUSHER: That's the problem. Two to three weeks.
TROI: In two or three weeks, nanites may be all that's left of the Federation.

I cannot believe our heroes decided not to go with this plan simply because the Federation 'might' not survive during that length of time. For one thing, there are hundreds of other worlds with other forms of alien life that are both technologically advanced and sophisticated who are not a part of the Federation. And as many episodes of Star Trek, including TNG and movies have shown, it takes a long time to get from planet to planet. So unless this was JJ Abrams' universe where you can go anywhere in the galaxy pretty much in minutes, there really is no reason why the crew shouldn't be working on this as a last resort rather than simply brushing it aside like "If Earth gets destroyed, what's the point in saving anyone else?".

To give you a better example of a fan analyzing the Borg with much greater depth and respect than what Seth McFarlane had to say, I'm going to leave this quote by SFDebris when he reviewed both parts.

This episode is where it all comes together. Writing, directing, acting, music. All of it creates a perfect atmosphere. And it's part of what helps give the Borg their mystique. They are simultaneously both communism and capitalism taken to their extremes. The subservience of the individual to the state so takes president that all are mere cogs in the system and anything that exists is merely a raw material to be consumed without consideration of consequence. In their wake, worlds are quite literally strip mined. The Borg continue to live up to the remark Q made about them, that they are a threat unlike any the Federation has ever faced. They are coming not to conquer, but to consume. They can not be negotiated with and they cannot be stopped. It doesn't matter who you are, it doesn't matter where you are and it doesn't matter what you are. YOU are a target and there's not a damn thing you can do about it. They not only enslave, they take your very soul and they turn you against any and all that you held dear. But perhaps the most infuriating part of all of this

....is that they actually think they're doing you a favor.

I went to the Rave StonyBrook 20 IMAX in Louisville, KY
and Loved it!
Theater turn out was quite nice and full.
Even a few Trekkie's in Uniform.

I was the last to leave the Theater so asked about the "Best of Both Worlds" Promo Display Poster in the lobby,
The Theater Manager opened up the lighted case and gave it to me. Oh Yeah!!!!

Did anyone else notice that they used the Star Trek Motion Picture Vigr cloud for the Dust cloud the Enterprise used to hide from the Borg?

I too think they could have left out the Previews for the Best of Both Worlds Episode before we saw it.
And what was with all the borgified people & babies & Animals on the screen before the movie? It just kept going and going.

All in all a Great time And Everyone Loved it & enjoyed the Bloopers.
Did I Mention I got the Promo Poster!!!!

....Jeremiah

Did anyone else notice that they used the Star Trek Motion Picture Vigr cloud for the Dust cloud the Enterprise used to hide from the Borg?

That was actually a reuse of the Mutara Nebula from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. The difference between the two is that V'Ger's cloud is dark blue, while the Mutara Nebula is purple and pink.

I attended the BoBW screening in Burbank Thursday night.

The retrospective special feature was terrific! I especially enjoyed Elizabeth Dennehy's anecdotes about playing Lt. Cmdr. Shelby. :cool
Part I still ranks among the top five hours of TNG. Part II didn't bother me as much as it used to.

The HD restoration helps keep the story as relevant now as it was 23 years ago. :thumbsup
Thom

The retrospective special feature was terrific! I especially enjoyed Elizabeth Dennehy's anecdotes about playing Lt. Cmdr. Shelby. :cool

I especially like that bit wheres she talks about Frakes trying to persuade her into giving Shelby some romantic feelings towards Riker during the two-parter. Her "What? Why?" reaction was just refreshing. It's REALLY a rare thing in a lot of stories, let alone Star Trek where you have a female character like Shelby who has such a large role to play in the episode who doesn't become a typical one-shot romance that will inevitably go no where. It's also a rare thing for Star Trek to have an officer playing the role of the rival who is actually in the right. Most of the time we get officers who are just insufferable d-bags who like like to twirl their mustaches in how right they are when our main heroes know they are wrong.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back