RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Attachments

• IMG_0516.JPG
    IMG_0516.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 249
Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Star Lord Map Gun - WIP

You've beaten me to it.
I've been taking photos of my build up and was going to start a thread.

Good luck with your build, Joe did a great job modeling up the Map scanner.

joe did indeed do a great job. Start your thread. It will be fun to see your build as well.

Time to make some internal support for the high power Blue Leds and the lasers.

The Blue transparency makes a good template after cleaning the flash.

IMG_0517.JPGIMG_0518.JPG

I cut out a support from styrene.

IMG_0519.JPG

Its slides back nicely. Test fit 1 LED....Good to go.

IMG_0522.JPG

Quick update. I decided to located the power switch in the square area. I cut out the space for the switch. Since this area is two layers I puttied the inside to avoid the switch sticking.

IMG_0540.JPG

Quick update. I decided to located the power switch in the square area. I cut out the space for the switch. Since this area is two layers I puttied the inside to avoid the switch sticking.

View attachment 478617

Any particular reason for moving the switch?
Seems like an awkward stretch around the prop to turn the LEDs on.

It looks like the power button was in the rectangular recesses in the narrower end of the map scanner judging by Starlord's thumb angle in the screencaps.

Looking good so far.

Is that filler-primer or regular primer? You'll have a much faster result with the former. Also, any reason why you put the power switch that far forward? The rearward rectangle was made specifically to house a circuit-breaker, either by adding a pin to hinge it (in that little indentation) or just by using the flex of the plastic to click a panel switch.

This is kinda how I see it working:
MGDIAGRAM.jpg
Note that this diagram shows BOTH possible variants. You either hinge the plate and add a spring OR you glue the back part of the plate and use the natural flex of the plastic to depress the circuit. If you do the latter, you will need a panel switch with VERY little travel, such as this:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/6mm-right-angle-round-button-panel_60072565144.html

You should also position the switch so that it just barely touches the underside of the plate is "off" position. I did this with my Dredd lawgiver, hiding two switches underneath the serial number plate on the side. This allows me to control ammo and firing modes on the gun while not having any visible switches.

I may reconsider placement. I couldn't find a small enough push on push off for the lower area. Are you thinking of using a momentary?

I may use the square to power up the LEDs and the rocker with a momentary to activate the Lasers.

Last edited:

Lasers arrived!!! What do you call a group of lasers? A Brace, herd? I call it an AWESOME of lasers!

IMG_0544.JPG

Test fit.
IMG_0545.JPG

I'm going to cut some holes in the lens. The red laser can't get through the blue plastic .

Quick update. A few more black areas to paint up and then ready for weathering.

IMG_0979.JPG

Some experimenting with some lasers and filters.
IMG_0978.JPG

Quick update. A few more black areas to paint up and then ready for weathering.

Some experimenting with some lasers and filters.

Looks good. The only thing I'd mention is that you could have used some more spray filler on the buttons if you want them glass-smooth. Contrary to the advice you usually get about spray painting, it's OK to use a nice thick coating of spray filler-primer. I try to model prints in a way so that detail's don't get filled in by it.

LEDs up and running and 3 lasers installed.

REALLY cool! Oh, when will I ever ave time to get started on my own build, haha. (I'm struggling like crazy with another 3d model that I can't talk about yet. It's one of those situations where getting it to be more accurate than similar builds is a real challenge.)

Switch istalled and front finished.

Beautiful work! Especially the cleanup of the print.

Note though (just in case you missed it), that the clear blue front goes BEHIND the bezel. You might need to file or trim the inside of the bezel just a tad for it to go in.

I've at least gotten so far as to cover mine in spray filler, along with a bunch of other parts.

Note though (just in case you missed it), that the clear blue front goes BEHIND the bezel. You might need to file or trim the inside of the bezel just a tad for it to go in.

Thanks Joe! For this build I will keep the blue bezel double sided taped to the front. The lasers can't get through the blue and I don't want to ruin the blue plastic so it will be on for static display and removed for lighted demo.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back