Star Destroyer detail help

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by Weaselhammer, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Weaselhammer

Weaselhammer Sr Member

This is my first post in the modeling part of the forum, I don't do many models with the exception of my Gundam models . I put together this Star destroyer a few years ago and painted it flat white, and I would like to do something to make it look better. Detail painting is definately NOT a strong skill of mine. This model has lots of raised detail all over along with the side channels and engine area that needs something more than what I've done. I would appreciate any thoughts and ideas on ways to make it look better . Thanks !
    View attachment 87631

2. Robiwon

Robiwon Master Member Gone but not forgotten.

Spray paint the entire ship flat black or dark grey. Get into all the nooks and crannies with the black. Let it dry. Then spray the whole ship with a light grey. Hold the spray can about 1.5 to 2 feet away and just give the model a burst of paint here and there until the ship is covered. Try and keep the can high and do not try to get complete coverage in the nooks and crannies. What you want to do is to leave these areas "shaded" with the darker paint. You can then mask off random panels and paint them a slightly darker grey than your hull color. After that try dry brushing white over the raised surface details to highllight them.

3. Weaselhammer

Weaselhammer Sr Member

That sounds like a great and easy plan, and it makes sense, Thanks so much for the tips !!