Star Destroyer and Blockade Runner Customer builds

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveNeill

Sr Member
I have the RC BR and the Anigrand SD to build for two different clients. I figured I'd do a first for me. Build both models at the same time.

And so far, so good. Got those warped pesky hull parts together on the SD. Second I got the engine section of the BR started. Holes are all drilled to fit the wiring. They are actually square and true to one another. I’ve been over the instructions and pictures from Randy many times. The DS is a joke when it comes to the instructions but I can wing it.

The SD is clamped together over the engine bulkhead for truing the shape and to get a look.

More tomorrow,

Steve

IMG_6714.jpg

IMG_6715.jpg

IMG_6716.jpg

Wow, building both at the same time is insane. Looking forward to seeing your BR finished.

How long is the Sar Destroyer? seems way easier to build than the RC I had to build which had 4 main hull sections, I like the way this one is casted with fewer hull parts.

GFollano

It still has 4 sections like the RC. Actually I'm finding the RC BR a bit easier to build. Not to mention the 1500 holes I have to drill in the SD. ;)

Steve

Lol, I'm looking forward to this, Steve.

What about the Big E? I thought we were waiting on the NX to get back to her.

So that's five Anigrand ISDs that we know of.

Just hope you don't get confused and end up building a Star Runner and Blockade Destroyer :lol

This should be a great thread to watch.

How big is the BR compared to the SD?

Lol, I'm looking forward to this, Steve.

What about the Big E? I thought we were waiting on the NX to get back to her.

So that's five Anigrand ISDs that we know of.

She only gets worked on weekends. and some evenings when time allows. However the masters are all done and I only have a bit of clean up before I start making molds.

Steve

I want to see how you deal with the trenches. They were the bane of my existence for a while.

I'm sure they'll be mine too. They are very warped and nasty. But nothin a heat gun won't fix.

So a lot of clean up on both models today. Then I gor the engine section all assembled for the Blockade Runner.

Since I'm waiting on lighting parts to show up it will be a few days before I get it. I didn’t want to stop building to wait on the lights so I used an old RC airplane trick of running string through the engine section that I can later use to pull the wiring through.

IMG_6718.jpg

I also drilled out the LEDs 5 mm holes in the engines themselves. The end caps aren’t glued on yet so I still have access to the engine tubes.

IMG_6727.jpg

Randy Cooper said in the instructions that I’d curse his name. Well I didn’t. But I did have to use his technique of Bondo Pressing to get the parts to fit as there were large gaps from shrinkage. There was no templates to align the 11 nacelles that I could fine despite what it said in the instructions so I eye balled it using a level and a square. They look straight to me.

IMG_6723.jpg

IMG_6728.jpg

All this took about 6 hours. Not so bad as he warned you but he was right about getting this part out of the way first.

When you do the Bondo Press use a finishing glaze and as soon as it gels take a knife and cut off the excess. For mold release on the nacelles I used good old water soluble PVA.

IMG_6719.jpg

Two coats worked well and the nacelles broke away cleanly.

IMG_6722.jpg

Then I did the clean up and glued the nacelles back one at a time with CA.

Tomorrow I’m going to glue on more parts to the SD and start drilling fiber optic holes. Lots of them!

Steve

Last edited:
Wow - expertise really paying off here. I considered actually building this myself but I've heard a lot of horror stories about getting those engines lined up. Who am I fooling, I would have never finished it anyway!

Steve - you made this look too frakin easy. You're crazy good brother!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back