Bandai Star Destroyer with fiber optic windows and laser

modelerdave

Sr Member
I started this build two years ago when I decided to forgo the Bandai lighting kit (horrible) and use fiber optics for all of the windows. Yes, that was crazy and after getting about halfway through I put it aside because I just couldn't stand threading anymore fiber optics. For you guys who drilled all of the holes and then threaded fibers in your Zevezda Star Destroyers, my hat is off to you.

One of the benefits of not using the Bandai lighting kit is a complete lack of the "smile" bend in the trench. This thing is totally straight.

I'm not a purist so I did my own paint thing and painted the panels by hand and then added a gloss coat to some panels to create specular highlighting between the gloss and matte finishes. I know that's more of a Star Trek thing but I think it came out okay.

I wanted to mount a functioning green laser that would use a machine gun effect to hit the Blockage Runner. To may everlasting surprise, it worked! I spent a few weeks trying to get an Adafruit sound board to match the laser fire with a Star Destroyer laser sound effect but it was my first attempt at sound and I could not make it work so I finally gave up.

Some build and final pics below and in the next few posts. It's not perfect but I'm pretty pleased with it.

IMG_7912.jpeg IMG_7915.jpeg IMG_7898.jpeg IMG_7966.jpg IMG_7969.jpg IMG_7975.jpg shrinkwrap.jpeg

Last edited:
The laser shots are all screen grabs from two videos since there's no real way to capture them with a single photo.

Attachments

• IMG_8079.jpeg
    IMG_8079.jpeg
    261.3 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_8077.jpeg
    IMG_8077.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_8056.jpg
    IMG_8056.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_8082.PNG
    IMG_8082.PNG
    12.9 MB · Views: 282
  • IMG_8081.PNG
    IMG_8081.PNG
    12.8 MB · Views: 290
Ahhhh, that's what I should have done with mine - but alas - already invested years in the Zvezda and really wanted an out-of-the-box build that I wrongly assumed would be cake from A Bandai kit.

The hull smile from hell haunts to this day.

Invar, I think it was your thread that convinced me not to go with the Bandai lighting kit! Not just the smile but the really terrible way you have to turn it on and off. I was able to really light block this and have zero leaks anywhere.

Last edited:
This is seriously cool. That laser effect is sweet! I also ditched the lighting kit/diffusers on mine and did my own thing, but my hanger bay didn't end up lighting up near as bright as I'd have hoped. Oh well! Yours looks great!

SB

This is seriously cool. That laser effect is sweet! I also ditched the lighting kit/diffusers on mine and did my own thing, but my hanger bay didn't end up lighting up near as bright as I'd have hoped. Oh well! Yours looks great!

SB
I used two LED strips on either side of the hangar on the bottom half of the ship, and a very small strip on the upper half positioned over the front of the bay to light that little forward open area. They were white LEDs but there's already a lot of white on the ship so I colored them with some Tamiya clear blue.

When I was testing it I thought it seemed a little dim so I added two pieces of sheet styrene to make a sort of reflective canopy over the strip LEDs to bounce more light back to the hangar bay. It really helped out.

I was honestly worried about closing up the hull because I had so many LEDs lighting the fiber optics. But it all worked out.

IMG_7969.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Dave, very nice build, as others have said.

What diameter fiber did you use?
I think it was .25 mm but I'm not positive. I bought a bunch two years ago before I moved across the country (twice!) and when I thought I needed to order more I couldn't remember where I bought it originally. Fortunately I had enough to finish. The spools weren't labeled but I'm pretty sure it was .25.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back