Stand aside for the glory that is DOOM!

GBrittelleJr

So 2012 is my year. I've tried and failed to get my Doctor Doom costume completed, and through the petty, annoying meddling of Richards, I have failed. But this year, I will be successful.

I'm not basing the build on any one specific version of Doom, but rather taking parts of each that I like, plus a little artistic license here and there.

So here we go. The armor will be made from the 1/2" EVA anti-fatigue mats. I've been reading as many threads about the wonder foam as I can, learning as much as I can about cutting, shaping, sealing and painting. I know foam builds are usually regarded as a cost effective and rather temporary solution to armor as opposed to cast resin or fiberglass pieces, but I chose foam for several reasons- the obvious ones like not having to sculpt and cast, the cost of said procedures, and the speed to which I can make the armor. But the biggest reason is because I hate the sound of plastic armor clanking together. So the foam will be able to rectify that problem for me.

Anyways, here's what I have so far- the sculpt of my helmet based off of Marko Djurdjevic's art. It's still very rough, and I'm planning on making a throwaway mold where I can make a resin pull and sand the hell out of it, drill and glue all the rivets in place, then remold it. I'll then take the dremel to it and cut the back off, and drill and mount a few rare earth magnets to allow me to get my head in there.
3b8696ba.jpg

dfb1acaf.jpg

7e082ede.jpg

And here are my cape clasps. They're made from 3.75" parabolic mirrors for RVs. I primered one set, cut the shapes out of them, then glued them to the other set. The design is based upon the symbol on the Latverian flag, in case you didn't know. I'm going to give these bad boys a special paint treatment to make them look hand made: paint them with Rustoleum's metallic gold (which happens to be the most durable gold in a rattle can I have found, and also is the best looking), then spray them with gold hammered metal once the gold base coat has cured, and with a soft rag wipe away the freshly sprayed hammered paint on all the raised areas. Finally hit the smooth areas with a bit of Rub N Buff's gold leaf, then a wash of a burnished brass paint. Might be overkill, but I really think they'll look amazing. And if I'm wrong, I can always mold them and send the resin copies off to get plated like the Indy idols!
7d4023db.jpg

Whew, that's all for now. I'll update as I go. ALL HAIL DOOM!!!

Greg

Very cool. Now, I'm not "up" on the character, but just an FYI, Krylon makes an 18K Gold Plate spray, that is sold at Michel's for $7 a can. There are other gold leaf products there to confuse you a tad bit more, as well, lol. Just a suggestion in case you missed it.

Loving your roughing out of the mask. It is good to read that you have thought it through and chosen to go with a trash mold. You're going to end up with an awesome product, having done so. Looking forward to your updates!

Thanks everyone. I appreciate it. Yeah, Doom is one of my all time favorite characters, and while I have seen some awesome Dooms out there, I still felt it was necessary to attempt because there are so many things that could be done with this costume.

I'm still going to get my helmet as smooth as I can using various tools and chemicals, but after this sculpt I think I'm going to keep this clay as a backup and order some proper Chavant NSP medium. This is an oil clay called Roma made by sculpture house, I believe. Decent, but not great.

Where I feel a lot of Doom costumes falter is the both the armor and the fabric. Since I talked about it in my OP I won't touch on the armor again, but I will discuss fabric choices.

4bec83e1.jpg

Here's my color scheme. I'm trying to use very regal looking fabrics. Stuff with a heavy weave and texture. No $3/yard broadcloth. I mean, the guy is a dictator for an Eastern Eurpoean country- it would be safe to assume he dresses nice. For the cloak, I was thinking about using the same waffle weave fabric Emperor Palpatine's sith robes are made from. What are your thoughts on that, for anyone who has seen or used it in person? Or maybe a Chenille upholstery fabric. Something that has a noticeable weave to it.

For the tunic, I'd like to obviously use a lighter weighing fabric than the cape, a different fabric altogether actually. Different shade, different weave. I'm going to do something slightly different with the tunic, but stay tuned for that.

I'll also be in need for a brass buckle for a 3" belt. I'd prefer it to be a functional belt, made of real leather. And I need an attached holster for a Broomhandle Mauser. So if there's any leather workers out there that can make these two pieces for me, I'd really appreciate a PM.

Very excited for your project. It looks damn great. A doom mask is pretty high on my list of props I want to make.

The cape clasps look great

Here's where I am at now. There are still quite a few imperfections that I don't know how I'm going to fix, if I can. But I'm pretty sure this is as good as I can get it before making my throw away mold. Hopefully I can even things out a bit more on a rigid copy with bondo and swearing.

Anyways, here's a 180 turnaround (no need for 360, as you can see the back is quite boring)
65bc8de6.jpg

a66a8170.jpg

9d1a79ee.jpg

97bc7c4e.jpg

f79a2681.jpg

I don't know how you real sculptors make everything so perfect and symmetrical. But I guess that's why you're the real sculptors, huh? Hahaha

Here's my (maybe) completed cape clasps. I changed my plan up a little bit, having the texture over the entire medallion and didn't end up using the Rub N Buff. What do you guys think- do I need to do a few washes with browns and dark golds to tarnish these a bit??
db7b447b.jpg

And finally, I decided to play dress up with my sculpt. I draped the fabric I have now (which is far too wrong, it doesn't drape well at all. Plus I don't like the color. I'll possibly use it for the tunic, though, as I like the weave it has) and wrapped my gold cord across the chest and placed the medallions on point to get an idea where this is going. I'd say it's starting to look like the Good Doctor, if I do say so myself! :)
8754f08a.jpg

65cb076a.jpg

92b2ac21.jpg

Thanks for critiquing!!

Greg

Freakin awesome man! The sculpt is perfect from all angles (nice and menacing) and the fabric seems to be spot on, so whatever you are replacing it with should be even better. Can't wait to see this completed.

Fantastic looking sculpt sir. I only recommend that you apply the rivets after the helmet is finished and painted, that way the rivets actually look functional instead of sculpted in place. A friend of mine did this on a Doom mask that he and a friend of his sculpted and as the whole sculpt looked really good aside from things I would have changed, the rivets looked fantastic as they actually looked like they were holding the mask together. The best of luck to you Victor.

Looking really good!

I think you are on the right track with the heavy fabrics and multiple layers. It is where most Dooms fall apart. The braid looks good but you might want to also try a chain for an even heavier look.

You might also want to consider ripping and weathering the cloth quite a bit. Doom is the leader of a country but is is getting his butt handed to him on a monthly basis. That can take quite a toll on your wardrobe.

Look forward to following this!!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back