Prop Store

ST:VI TUC Operation Retrieve (In More Ways Than One)

Discussion in 'Production Made Costumes and Props' started by bobatrek, Sep 4, 2015.

1. bobatrek

bobatrek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Can you guess what my latest prop acquisition is? And no, it's not Rene's laser pointer...

My long term plan is to recreate these in all their natural beauty, and offer limited sets of them.

Why the need to recreate? Because after ST:VI TUC wrapped, these were thrown in the trash heap. GASP!!! Yup, we all know that's what they did back then. But we can all thank Penny Juday for rescuing them.

"We've prepared Operation retrieve based on the rising danger of terrorism between the Klingon Empire and the Federation.

"Sir, we can go in, rescue the hostages, and get out in 24 hours with an acceptable rate of loss in manpower, and equipment.

"We have the technology to..."

"Yes, yes, but suppose you precipitate a full-scale war?"

"Then quite frankly Mr. President, we can clean their Kronometers."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TheMadGasser

TheMadGasser Member

AWESOME!!! I hope that the Klingon Map didn't get tossed. I've been trying to recreate it in my spare time.

3. renaissance_man

renaissance_man Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sean, that is really cool.

I found it interesting that in the film they opted for a paper prop, but when you consider it carefully it makes sense, if those invasion plans were digital it would be easy for an enemy to hack into the Starfleet database and steal them and prepare a counter attack.

Nice prop, wishing you the best of luck with it.

4. Quinn

Quinn Active Member

What a cool prop to have. I look forward to see what you do with it.

5. bobatrek

What's funny, is later in the movie there is a scene with the Klingon ambassador in the Federation President's office and the "CLASSIFIED" plans are seen in the background open to one of the pages. So much for Operational Security.

6. bobatrek

I'm thinking somewhere between half and quarter size, to include the plexiglass backing and metal bar/holder.

7. bikemancs

bikemancs Well-Known Member

What the heck is Odo doing on earth?!

Nice score man!

8. bobatrek

Founder recon, and thanks!

9. Inquisitor Peregrinus

Inquisitor Peregrinus Master Member

Definitely will be following your progress with this. That's one prop that we dissected to the best of our ability with VHS and DVD back in the day (gods, fifteen years ago now :facepalm) over on an older forum I used to frequent before Star Trek faded out. I don't think I realized the Lantree was part of the mission stable. Sweet TNG callback, there.

If my opinion has any weight, I and the friend I told about this would prefer something at the larger end of what you propose. Smaller than half-scale starts to get squinched.

--Jonah

10. JoeRalat

JoeRalat Well-Known Member

This sucker is on my list to recreate. I would like to add a few pages on my own design to it as well. :D

11. kertratz

kertratz Well-Known Member

Hey Sean, cant wait for my set! Loved the other graphics you sent too. Thanks you, that was very generous of you.

12. bobatrek

I can't wait also! LOL I've finished the first page and about a third of the second. I'm doing this in my spare time, so, not that often. But I'm still working on it.

13. tim

tim Sr Member

Fantastic prop! Glad to see that it was rescued from the trash heap and is now in good hands. :)

Inquisitor Peregrinus likes this.
  14. newworld

newworld Well-Known Member

Hey that looks familiar!! :thumbsup

Don

15. bobatrek

Pages one and two are done. I told you this would take a while...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And yes, these are vectored for full size printing. :)

16. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Sweet! Goofy scene from the film, but very cool project!

17. bobatrek

I know it's been a while, but four pages out of the five are complete, with the fifth about 85% done.

[​IMG]

Treadwell, Mike J. and Quinn like this.
  18. VDOVault

VDOVault New Member

Those look great! I too kind of wondered why flip charts but then again renaissance_man above pretty much nailed how they'd be preferable to the usual digital sci-fi affair (though of late I'm gaining an appreciation for practical over digital in general).

19. bobatrek

And the final page, just not in order...

[​IMG]

SpaceMind likes this.
  20. Elderscrollsfan

Elderscrollsfan Jr Member

Been a while since I saw the movie, but is that scene filmed in an altered "ten forward"?

21. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yesssir!

Elderscrollsfan likes this.
  22. lucamauri

lucamauri New Member

Dear BobaTrek, pardon me for the vary basic question, but… where are this cards available?

And can you tell the same for the files you prepared to print them from?
    Would it be possible to embed some version of them in a Star Trek-related wiki we maintain?

Thanks