SS TIE Fighter: Buildup of Nice-N Models Hero Kit

Thanks. Pretty much what I had planned to do, lol - just didn't know if you guys had found something out-of-the-box. I just got my Panavise rig in the mail, and now that I'm satisfied with how sturdy these things are, I'll order the rest I need - awesome.

Almost...

front.jpg

aft.jpg

aft2.jpg

portwing.jpg

Still have the trim pieces around the wing frames, t-rod bits on the pylons and a little paint here and there. Lighting is bad. :unsure

Last edited:
Alert the authorities. Someone better check Skywalker Ranch for a TIE Fighter cause it looks like one has gone missing.

You have done a great job, thanks for your hard work.

Seriously seeing your almost finished TIE... its like a father seeing his kid all grown up. You know whats a shame?

After all the TIE's Ive made I dont have one of my own. You have created a true piece of Film history there, it IS without a doubt the BEST TIE Fighter I have ever seen made. Congrats.

Steve

Wow. That looks amazing, you did a super nice job on that one. Very nice, contratulations. It really does look like a studio model.

Steve,

Thank-you very much for your kind words. You're a gentleman to offer such praise to a one-time critic. That said, Jason's is going to make mine look like a pyro-reject. I encourage people to detour over to his "Maschinen Krieger Falke recreation" thread in General Modeling.

Richard, thank-you. I should say, though, that there are a number of flaws - of my own making (not Nice-N's) - on the build. If I had it to do again, it would be better.

I'll post some final pics, with better lighting, when the rest of the finishing is sorted out. Hope to see some others start posting their TIE builds, too. There's more talent on this board than many of us know.

Allan

That looks fantastic. :thumbsup
I have been following your progress for a while. All the work you've put into it has really paid off, as you've got a really beautifull studio replica now.

GL, thanks.

Jamie and Swede: that means a lot coming from you guys. :D

I spent some time this evening applying the u-channel to the edges of the wings. I have some minor painting and a couple bits of t-rod to add here and there, and then it's done.

Allan

Thanks, REL!

Some people have been PMing me about the wing construction. Here are some pics that illustrate the use of the rare earth magnets. Basically, I've aligned them from the pylon to the wing. Mags in the wings are countersunk in a small cup that was built up using laminated styrene. Unfortunately, I fogot to take a pic of that before I sealed up the wingstar centers... oops. The magnets are rated at just over 8 lbs. They are about 20 mm in diameter and 3 mm thick. Each finished wing, including all the trim, weighs 1.97 lbs. So, the magnets are plenty strong. The wings do not "wobble" when handling the model.

const.jpg

const2.jpg

wingcon.jpg

pylonmag.jpg

wingmag.jpg

Last edited:
I have to say... seriously that is one fine Hero TIE. I still cant get over the detail on that thing.

Congrats.

Steve

Beautiful....just beautiful :love Congrats to your new display piece. Are you planning a death star base for this baby? Guess I would leave it like that.....it looks so pretty even with just the panavise as the stand. It has this......"Exhibition feeling". Just a nice acrylic case.....nicely lit...and "bang"...you got it. :thumbsup

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back