Limited Run SPRING Prop Run!

JOATRASH FX

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
***MARCH 25 2024 UPDATE***
I just popped a fresh cartridge of resin into the printer because I had some parts to run for a project. That means I'll have leftover materials to run some parts for others as needed. Check the chart below, or my signature picture link (goes to my Facebook page) and drop me PM if you need any of my models!

Hey gang,

As many of you know, I'm currently on hiatus (semi-retired) from doing props and things, focusing on other parts of life. However, I might need to print up some parts this spring for a project and since the startup cost of materials is so high for the machine I use, I will open up to doing some 'kits' if there is any demand for a short time. (Once it's over, I can't say when I would be able to do any of these again. To compare, I haven't printed anything since last summer.)

Here is a list- kits I can do in resin are marked GREEN (the others are usually done in PLA):

Costs and materials:

Inflation is pretty high at the moment, but so is the dollar value, so I can do things for more or less the same cost as usual. I usually print blaster-sized props in professional-grade resin (really expensive stuff, more durable that what most 'home printers use') on professional equipment.

Count on a typical RESIN blaster (Oblivion, K Blaster, Batman Speargun) or something around that size costing between $300-450. (in comparison, a PLA Star Lord helmet or blaster pair, around $450-500. Something HUGE like Vera, which takes MONTHS to print, would be 1500-ish.) Something small/simple like a Dredd grenade of 1911 conversion kit might be 100-200. Those are general guidelines, so if you need an EXACT cost please ask below and I'll reply. (Just please use the guidelines first to see if it's in your ballpark, because for some of these kits, especially the older ones, I have to do a lot of checking and calculations to get an exact number.

If you want a kit, please send me a PM. (And if you've seen me do something I forgot to list... just ask about it.)

If you have something you need printed, I might be able to help with that.

For some photos, either search my name on the forum, check my signature link (look in the photo galleries and timeline) or ask. (In some rare cases I might not have photos of a final prop or kit... depends on how old/rare they are!)

NOTE: To cover supplies, I'll need at least 3-4 kits in the pipeline. (If the prop has clear parts, I'll need around the same number of more.)

1677942978191.png

Here are a few assembled/painted examples to get started (note: I supply these in kit form):

1650746469191-png.png
1650746489448-png.png
1650746530185-png.png
1650746542143-png.png
1650746553607-png.png
1650746587003-png.png
1650746594556-png.png

1650746604652-png.png

1650746625589-png.png

1650746641438-png.png

1650746655713-png.png

1650746909954-png.png

1650746920270-png.png

Last edited:
Agreed, if you haven't had one of these prints in your hand you are missing out. The attention to detail, material quality, and eye for electronics integration is second to none.

Bumping this. I just ordered a cartridge of resin, so will have (limited) capacity to print some things in the coming couple of weeks.

Do you have any pics of the Aliens (& Prometheus) props/kits, please?
Ah... wow... I haven't printed any of those in MANY years. Come to think of it, I've never printed the Prometheus cube on my machine. (It would print very well on it, but I'm not a fan of that film at all.) The locator tube I think I printed once, in PLA... turned out fine. Would also work well in resin.

Since I sort of 'abandoned' them ages ago, I don't have any recent photos, but here's what I have:

Prometheus cube:
1679674192887.png

This was printed through a commercial company in an awful (and expensive) brittle semi-clear resin. If I printed this on my machine in clear resin it would probably be pretty great. As I recall, I printed the middle button separate so that it could be used as an on/off switch.

Here's a render of the model parts. Dont' think I ever printed the flat squares, but modeled them in case it was to be displayed "in action".

1679674330541.png

Locator render:
1679674491035.png

The display window would be open if printed in resin. The one in the render is just support for printing on FDM machines are is supposed to be 'broken off'.

As for the smartgun... I was working on my own metal replica with some printed parts, but it's been on the shelf for a few years. The only parts I really 'finished' was the muzzle addon that goes over the airsoft MG42. A bunch of the other parts were started on, but still WIP.
1679674793822.png

I also recently did the 'hero' front block for the Pulse Rifle:
1679674908831.png

The Alien parts aren't really that sexy, haha.

I currently have a full cartridge of resin. Some of it will be used by me to print addons for a few Expanse pistols I'm working on.

which addons for The Expanse pistols? I need parts for the Star Helix pistol, (the scope/ light part and the strap/mounting pieces on top) I have the correct airsoft gun but I still need the top parts.

which addons for The Expanse pistols? I need parts for the Star Helix pistol, (the scope/ light part and the strap/mounting pieces on top) I have the correct airsoft gun but I still need the top parts.
I haven't started modeling yet but I'll be doing addons for the Star Helix, the Mars pistol, Amos' shotgun, short grips for Miller's Rhino and maaaaybe Ashford's pistol. I've got most of the correct airsofts- just trying to decide if I really want to pay an extra $300 for the exact/correct SCAR (newer, cheaper ones all have a modified stock attachment that bugs me).

The TipX paintball pistol is also pretty spendy for the screen time it gets, but damn I liked Ashford!

It's funny... first time around I only thought the show was "OK"... but too much Game of Thrones in space with unsympathetic characters. Binge-watching the show from the start again, paying closer attention, I fell in love with it... so even though I was "taking a break" from props I got the hunger to do some.

My first Expanse prop is already 'almost' done... a close replica of Miller's hat, since you can't get the correct Goorin Bros one any longer. (I even made a hat buck to re-shape a generic trilby... and I'm currently waiting on a bronze printed/cast Goorin emblem to arrive. I'll do a thread eventually!)

But yeah... once I start modeling, I'll be able to print up extras of the Star Helix addons. The Mars pistol will be a little more involved... I'm going to try the old "redneck lathe" method with a power drill to make the top barrel. Should be doable with enough protective gear on!

This site has TipX parts, you can by the frame with the grips and receiver shells for $36

Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately, they will only ship internationally with UPS at a minimum $187 cost! Add to that the taxes and stuff that gets added here, and it's almost as expansive as getting a complete marker. I've had some local feelers out... they seem to be fairly common used, so I might go that route. It's more of a "would be nice to have" as I always thought it looked kinda toy-ish.

Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately, they will only ship internationally with UPS at a minimum $187 cost! Add to that the taxes and stuff that gets added here, and it's almost as expansive as getting a complete marker. I've had some local feelers out... they seem to be fairly common used, so I might go that route. It's more of a "would be nice to have" as I always thought it looked kinda toy-ish.
yes I forgot about that so i'm not sure if this will help you either, but here is a knock off copy of a working Mars Pistol light attachment on Amazon for $29 Amazon.com

this is the bast I could come up with so far.

Attachments

• h.jpg
    h.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
yes I forgot about that so i'm not sure if this will help you either, but here is a knock off copy of a working Mars Pistol light attachment on Amazon for $29 Amazon.com

this is the bast I could come up with so far.
Thanks, I found that a while back when Pinty were selling out all their old stock and managed to snag one before they were all gone. I (fingers crossed) should have one in a few days. (Honestly though... I kinda like the Mars pistol better with the white cover underneath! But the attachment is the one most used so...)

I can still piggyback some prop parts while I print some things for a couple projects until my resin runs out.

sure let me know, my micrometer battery is dead but I will measure the cylinder, what are the dims of yours?

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back