Spray booth fan

Fizbin

Does anyone know where I can find a cheap fan to use for a spray booth? I need something that has at least 300 CFM.

The ones I've looked at online retail around $100 or over... seems a bit pricy for just a hobby-sized booth. :confused
I could really use some help here, any suggestions?

Go to your local drug store, Wal Mart, or Home center and get a $10 box fan and a furnace filter the same size. It works great.

Buddy of mine did just that in a shed he stored his Harley in. Worked rather well on the exhaust fumes. Another idea is find someone that is remodeling their kitchen and get their old stove exhaust. I have plans to use a box fan and some duct work to get the pait fumes out of my basement. Thing is, all added up, it'll come close to $100, done properly.

Isn't there some concern with the paint fumes being ignited by the fan? I thought spray booths had some sort of special fan...

That's a good point, BlindSquirrel.

When I bought my paint booth, I remember reading that one of the features of my booth was a "sparkless" motor, or something like that.

Okay, this is OT, but what in the world is the guy holding in your avatar, Doug? It look like . . . well . . . um . . . er . . . it looks impressive.

<div class='quotetop'>(BlindSquirrel @ May 16 2006, 11:46 AM) [snapback]1245135[/snapback]</div>
Isn't there some concern with the paint fumes being ignited by the fan? I thought spray booths had some sort of special fan...
[/b]

Yeah, a "brushless" motor is best and recommended with any solvent based product. It is alsot the most expensive part of the plan
Here are some plans gathered from the internet. Most have disclaimers about not using solvent based products.
Auth Spraybooth
Knock-down Spraybooth

<div class='quotetop'></div>
Isn't there some concern with the paint fumes being ignited by the fan?[/b]

From what I understand, paint solvants will eat away at the protective coating on the wires of an ordinary "exposed motor" box fan, thus causing the fan to eventually short out. If that happens, the paint fumes are likely to ignite from the sparks... pretty scary stuff. :eek

It's recommended that a non-inline motor (i.e. the motor is separate from the fan blade and belt driven) should be used, but those are way over my meager budget. Even the "closed motor" fans (that have a protective resin coating on the wires) tend to start around $200 and go up from there.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to paint outside and avoid the winter months. :unsure

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back