**SPOILERS** New RoS prop image **SPOILERS**

I'm on the fence about the sabers in this movie. While there are concepts I like about the sabers in TROS, for the most part some of the choices didnt make sense for this movie. I agree I dont like the leather wrap on Anakins saber after it was pulled apart in TLJ. I like that they did something different and new with Rey's saber. Here is what us old school RPFers
Star-Wars-custom-lightsabers-Leia-Organa-Solo-Lightsaber-1.jpg

used to know Leia's saber to look like. While the new design is not what I thought they were going to go with. I see that they did mimic hers after her brothers. Which I understand and don't hate that idea.

While I don't know who made that above image, I can tell you it's a photoshop that uses the below Anovos replica stock photo as a base. It's not a literal prop picture but it is a relatively well done photoshop replicating the look of her saber.
It very well illustrates that Rey's saber is literally the end of her staff removed and flipped upside down.
EmVyzFR.jpg

And we can also surmise the size of the hilt because of the measurements of the staff. The staff is 6 feet long. The part used for the hilt is almost exactly 1/6 the length of the staff, meaning this hilt is ~12 inches long.
ZII5Cq1.jpg

Which is 1 inch longer than the classic Skywalker hilt.

I had done this below comparison earlier purely for illustration purposes. The wrap and the teeth are not screen accurate, just put in to illustrate the point that it is literally her staff.
op0jYjY.png

There are some minor differences between the staff prop and the saber prop (a couple angles, measurements, and those little holes) but it's clear the intention is for this to be made from the same gear.

qAxv7C9.gif

Last edited:
Jumping back to the Leia Saber for a moment. I'm also taking this on. This is how far I got based on available images. I'm pretty confident on sizing compared to the Skywalker Saber in the same images. Also, I think I picked out the detail that is between the raised grips. I haven't seen that on the other renders. It's tough to see, but there's a raised design in-between each "T-track"

saber_side.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-12-27 at 8.49.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-27 at 8.49.21 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-27 at 8.50.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-27 at 8.50.12 PM.png

I had that detail between the grips as well in my latest version. However I saw it as being cut into the handle not sticking out. But your rendition makes sense, I like yours.

Attachments

• leia v46-angle.png
    leia v46-angle.png
    227.5 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Rey’s staff saber design still really bugs me. Watching the movie again and it looks impossible to use it with a two handed grip.

However, Leia’s is incredible and Dark Rey’s is pretty decent. Wish we had gotten a few more new hilts out of the ST.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back