Split Second Props

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Sundowner, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just curious if anyone has any props for this movie. Its one of my rare favorties! Blade Runner meets Mad Max feel to it! I know the gun he uses is a 3357 Crosman Paintball revolver. I'd love to snag one but they're rare. Anyone have anything?
    [​IMG]

2. E Q

E Q Active Member

I know there was a model kit of the "monster" made years ago. Searching for screen captures of the weapon has yielded nothing though.

3. E Q

E Q Active Member

4. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I found these on my hard-drive:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ~think~ they're pix of a replica (as opposed to screen-used), & I think I may have DL'd these when they were posted by a RPF member (quite a few years ago).

Anyway... :cool

5. greylocke

greylocke Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What about Dick Durkins revolver, Harley's Shotgun, and we can't forget his denied application for a Permit for a Grenade Launcher. :D

6. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i love that movie!!!
    steve dymzo made some harley blasters many years ago. i still have mine. i think i still have the resin kit of the alien too. i'll post pics over the weekend.

7. Knightjar

Knightjar Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thought I was the only one that remembered that movie!

8. SD Studios

SD Studios Well-Known Member

HEY! Good movie!!

Yup. I made three, all-machined metal, firing .50 cal paintball pistols a looong time ago. Ed M. helped me make them. We managed to locate three of the correct Crossman airguns at WAL-MART of all places. IIRC...

I can tell you from personal experience... .50 cal paintballs at 450 feet-sec... HURT.

A LOT. :lol

They have working lasers as well. We also managed to find the correct scope mounts.

I STILL have it.

I have been offered $2000 for it and have turned it down. It is just a really cool piece. Me likey.

Oddly, I haven't seen too many other replicas. Not sure why.

PICS!

View attachment 83725

View attachment 83726

View attachment 83727

View attachment 83728

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  9. Judge Max

Judge Max New Member

Completely forgot about this film--- Will have to get the VHS back out :) Thumbs up

10. Drewid

Drewid Well-Known Member

We need guns, bigger guns, bigger f'ing guns! I've thought about making that assault shotgun. It rawks.

11. Sundowner

"BIGGER F'IN GUNS!
    [​IMG]
    Cool pictures guys! Thanks for posting them! I was afraid no one would actually remember this movie. I found it on DVD so it got me stoked!

I havent really had a good look at Harley's shotgun. Harley's baby cannon back up and Durkin's piece are pretty cool. They have a odd scope on them. If I can find a Crosman 3357, I will build one. I think I'm going to work on the "baby C" back up sidearms.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. E Q

E Q Active Member

Please don't hang me... would you consider making a mold and selling copies?

I swear I hear people groaning, or is that a herd of walking dead coming through town?

13. Sundowner

via Mark Platten

"Ace Effects supplied a number of services to the production, including props, pyrotechnics, vehicles and latex make-up. Three different types of gun were required of us.

Jane's renowned armaments catalogues were consulted for inspiration. Interesting to discover that what exists within those pages is very much science fiction in its own right.

The early conceptual visuals I produced were then taken into a well-equipped workshop for fabrication. This example, from the early surviving images, featured a rotating barrel - in actuality driven by a battery powered electric motor. [​IMG]

In practise, it was easier to harvest components from existing replica weapons, or to augment itenms acquired off the shelf : here, the barrel of a replica .45 revolver was sheathed in milled aluminium to create a far bulkier appearance.

Originally, the art director wanted the laser sight on this gun to spring into the position shown when a button was pressed. This idea was rejected on grounds of appearance, and on the final prop, the sight was mounted directly on the top of the barrel - aesthetically more appropriate."
    [​IMG]

14. ed-209

ed-209 Sr Member

...Yes...GREAT replica by Steve.
    Still have mine as well.
    Ed M

15. Scapey

Scapey Sr Member

Nice replica, up there!
    Not seen this movie for years, need to hunt down a copy.

16. Sundowner

Those Crosman are really hard to find now!

17. greylocke

The film is available on youtube.

Split Second - YouTube

If you run video download helper add on in firefox you can download it.

18. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

The Crosman 357 pellet version is a lot easier to find, and shares most of the same body as the paintball gun. I've owned one of those since the 90's. Worst comes to worst, I think we could come up with Harley's gun from the pellet version with the talent present on this site.

Always loved this flick!

Steve, always thought your build for this was excellent, probably better than the build they used for the movie itself. How about a shot with the laser on?

:)

EDIT: by the way, Crosman still makes the 357, just with a different grip now.

19. Sundowner

If we could get a hold of a 3357 barrel and 3357 cylinder thats pretty much the only difference. I'm working on it!

20. Sundowner

Does anyone know what site is on his baby cannon? It looks really familiar.

21. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

I thought the same thing about the site. Looks like a red dot opric of some kind. I took a few screen shots off youtube for giggles. Pretty sure his backup piece and dick's are the same gun, though in the promo shot of RH above it looks iike an unflutted cylinder, so maybe not.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Sundowner

Cool! Awesome grabs. Man this is going to bother me, I've seen this site somewhere before.

23. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

Yeah, me too. I think my older brother had a site like that on a 22 revolver when I was a kid. I did a quick search for the site on google today to no result, I'll keep at it though until we know what it is. I gotta know too. :)

I'm pretty sure the revolver they used for the build here is an RG/Rhom model 31, 38 special. It fires blanks too, unlike the crosman 3357 of course.

24. Sundowner

I think you're right on the money with that RG/Rhom model 31.

25. Sundowner

I picked up a Crosman 3357!

26. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Where did you manage to snag one?

Awesome movie. Just somethig about it.

27. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

I hope you got it at a decent price and didn't have to shell out a few hundred bucks!

:love

28. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

OMG! I have that same Crossman gun. It's listed as a pellet gun, though, and is missing the left side of the handle (where you reload the CO2 cartridge). Dang! I can't believe I picked one of those up without even knowing it was in this film. I had plans on turning it into a replica of Taki's gun from Wicked City. It's down in the shed with the rest of my stuff right now. I guess it was $5 well spent!

29. Sundowner

Lets just say it was around what they originally went for! It wasnt easy to come by lol

30. Sundowner

I grabbed a really good picture of the Baby Cannon. I also have a few good grabs of the shotgun and chain gun.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  31. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

I just watched it on youtube. I forgot how much I loved this movie. I read up on him after and Rutger Hauer has a really cool Aids charity. He sells autograph stuff on his website soley to raise money for the charity. Some cool stuff for very good price.

32. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

Very clear shot of the baby cannon! Nice. That's got a cylinder release so it's not a model 31 then. Unless they made some with the release. The sharp corner on the top/back upper part of the frame makes me think it might be an old taurus or rossi snubby. Hmm.

33. Sundowner

It looks like it has a detective style grip but not a colt. I'm still looking! I got in contact with one of the prop builders so I should have some new info pretty soon.

34. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

Cool. Look forward to hearing about that!

You know, I can't help but think about Paul Sammon talking about Rutger Hauer's gigantic hands when I see that photo above. He said something to the effect of RH having the biggest hands he'd ever seen.

35. Sundowner

Hahaha no doubt. I thought it was a cap gun initially in those giant meat hooks Rutger has lol

36. Steamtech

Steamtech Member

Wow, I love this movie but haven't seen it in years (thanks for the YouTube link :)). I remember some friends coming over and saying c'mon, we're going to see Split Second and I was thinking it was going to be awful. I hadn't heard a thing about it or seen any trailers so i was expecting real low production values and b movie story. I figured at least it has Rutger Hauer in it so maybe it'll be ok. I walked out, mind blown! Now only was the monster amazing but the whole look and feel of future London just really captivated me.

seeing this thread reminded me how awesome those weapons are! To hear from the guys who made them, god I love this forum! :D

37. Sundowner

I know right! Isn't this forum great! lol

38. Sundowner

SD, what did you do for the under barrel box. Did you stamp metal to get those channels? I'd like to use metal on mine but I think I'll be stuck with using wood.

39. greylocke

For the baby, looking at the cylinder release, it looks like either a Charter Arms or an Astra revolver, they both use that flat cylinder release. I've owned a Charter Arms undercover and the cylinder release was flat and I own an Astra .357 Magnum and the cylinder release is flattish, not nearly as flat as the Charter but not sculpted out like the S&W or a Taurus, I own a Taurus and used to carry a S&W with the PD. So I honestly think baby was a Charter Bulldog or Pitbull, they both have the flat cylinder release.

here is a current bulldog Charter Bulldog #14420

and a pitbull Charter Pit Bill #74020

40. Sundowner

The only problem i see with a Charter Arms would be the grip. The trigger looks pretty close. I'll post another photo of the baby c where it shows more of the grip. It's more like a colt detective grip but without the taper in width toward the gun.

41. greylocke

For some reason I can only use the quick reply and can't quote, but the grips on current CA firearms are much larger than the old ones. I had an Undercover model and the first thing I did was to replace the grips as I could barely hold on to it with the original grips. I am including a link to a pic of the old style bulldog with the old style grips.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ms_Bulldog.JPG/300px-Charter_Arms_Bulldog.JPG

Here is a link to a pic of and Undercover that looks almost exactly like the one I used to have. http://mikenjudy.net/CharterArms-Undercover38.jpg You can see how small the grips actually are. The funny thing is the undercover grips would fit the bulldog and vice versa.

42. Sundowner

well if thats the case then the Bulldog is a popular prop base since Blade Runner's blaster is off a Bulldog too!

43. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

Well, it just so happens I presently own a Charter Arms undercover in 38 special. I don't think the gun matches. I took a few shots of it to compare.

Take into account I do not have massive hands. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see the placement of the release is just different than the gun used in the film, and the angle of the trigger guard is not the same, and also, the gun used in Split Second seems to have a more substantial hammer, and spur.

[​IMG]

I threw the cap gun into this one for Dorian's earlier comment. :)

[​IMG]

I'm pretty sure that whatever snubby they used is 6 shots, not 5, like the charter arms is, it's a tiny gun though.

44. Sundowner

lol thats the exact cap gun I had in mind! I had the same one as a kid.

45. Sundowner

nice hand pose by the way :lol

46. Krel

Krel Sr Member

The .44 Special casing can hold a lot of power for a nice, big, bright muzzle flash. :eek

David.

47. Sundowner

The more I look at the baby cannon the more I'm thinking it may be two different reflex/dot sights. Just one turn the opposite way on the other end. What do you folks think?

48. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ummm, I'm almost positive that is one real-world pistol sight (of the red-dot variety). Would likely be way out of production now. I'll see what I can come up with...

49. Sundowner

I thought I saw one on a buddy's bb gun as a kid but I couldnt find anything anywhere!

50. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

I could NOT get Rutger to do it. He didn't even reply to my email.

Sundowner likes this.