Split Second Props

Sundowner

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Just curious if anyone has any props for this movie. Its one of my rare favorties! Blade Runner meets Mad Max feel to it! I know the gun he uses is a 3357 Crosman Paintball revolver. I'd love to snag one but they're rare. Anyone have anything?
postsplitsecondextra3.jpg

I know there was a model kit of the "monster" made years ago. Searching for screen captures of the weapon has yielded nothing though.

I found these on my hard-drive:

ss01.jpg

ss02.jpg

I ~think~ they're pix of a replica (as opposed to screen-used), & I think I may have DL'd these when they were posted by a RPF member (quite a few years ago).

Anyway... :cool

What about Dick Durkins revolver, Harley's Shotgun, and we can't forget his denied application for a Permit for a Grenade Launcher. :D

i love that movie!!!
steve dymzo made some harley blasters many years ago. i still have mine. i think i still have the resin kit of the alien too. i'll post pics over the weekend.

HEY! Good movie!!

Yup. I made three, all-machined metal, firing .50 cal paintball pistols a looong time ago. Ed M. helped me make them. We managed to locate three of the correct Crossman airguns at WAL-MART of all places. IIRC...

I can tell you from personal experience... .50 cal paintballs at 450 feet-sec... HURT.

A LOT. :lol

They have working lasers as well. We also managed to find the correct scope mounts.

I STILL have it.

I have been offered $2000 for it and have turned it down. It is just a really cool piece. Me likey.

Oddly, I haven't seen too many other replicas. Not sure why.

PICS!

View attachment 83725

View attachment 83726

View attachment 83727

View attachment 83728

Last edited:
"BIGGER F'IN GUNS!
351677-dick_durkin_large.jpg

Cool pictures guys! Thanks for posting them! I was afraid no one would actually remember this movie. I found it on DVD so it got me stoked!

I havent really had a good look at Harley's shotgun. Harley's baby cannon back up and Durkin's piece are pretty cool. They have a odd scope on them. If I can find a Crosman 3357, I will build one. I think I'm going to work on the "baby C" back up sidearms.

14l4ze0.png

12029_6.jpg

Yup. I made three, all-machined metal, firing .50 cal paintball pistols a looong time ago.

I STILL have it.

Please don't hang me... would you consider making a mold and selling copies?

I swear I hear people groaning, or is that a herd of walking dead coming through town?

via Mark Platten

"Ace Effects supplied a number of services to the production, including props, pyrotechnics, vehicles and latex make-up. Three different types of gun were required of us.

Jane's renowned armaments catalogues were consulted for inspiration. Interesting to discover that what exists within those pages is very much science fiction in its own right.

The early conceptual visuals I produced were then taken into a well-equipped workshop for fabrication. This example, from the early surviving images, featured a rotating barrel - in actuality driven by a battery powered electric motor.
SplitSec_03_Dev_03.jpg

In practise, it was easier to harvest components from existing replica weapons, or to augment itenms acquired off the shelf : here, the barrel of a replica .45 revolver was sheathed in milled aluminium to create a far bulkier appearance.

Originally, the art director wanted the laser sight on this gun to spring into the position shown when a button was pressed. This idea was rejected on grounds of appearance, and on the final prop, the sight was mounted directly on the top of the barrel - aesthetically more appropriate."
SplitSecCap_09.jpg

The Crosman 357 pellet version is a lot easier to find, and shares most of the same body as the paintball gun. I've owned one of those since the 90's. Worst comes to worst, I think we could come up with Harley's gun from the pellet version with the talent present on this site.

Always loved this flick!

Steve, always thought your build for this was excellent, probably better than the build they used for the movie itself. How about a shot with the laser on?

:)

EDIT: by the way, Crosman still makes the 357, just with a different grip now.

If we could get a hold of a 3357 barrel and 3357 cylinder thats pretty much the only difference. I'm working on it!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back