spirited away bathhouse chessboard

alpha51

IMG_3664.JPGIMG_3659.JPGIMG_3661.JPGHey fellow RPF enthausiasts,

i would like to share a project i am working on.
It is a model from the bathhouse in spirited away.
I know of some paper models that are available for purchase but i decided i wanted mine to be a little more solid.
So about half a year ago i took it uppon me to start constructing a model of the bathhouse completely out of wood.

So far i have used anything from;
toothpicks to tapas picks, postictle sticks, paint stir sticks etc etc... anything thats wooden and useful.
the idea is to have the top floors of the bathhouse come of to revael a chessboard.
I intially wanted to have wooden figures to make up the peaces of the board but then i came across miyazaki statues of exactly the correct scale and thought i would save ALLOT of work by just using those.

So far i have found:

Pawns: Soot balls (spirited away)
Castle: Howls moving castle (not found yet)
Horse: Porco rosso+plane (Porco rosso)
Rook: Noface (spirited away)
Queen: Yubaba (spirited away)
King: Boh (In baby form not found yet)

For the bases ive used wooden thread coils cut to varying sizes.

The idea is to lit the structure from the inside when its done, covering the insides of the windows with rice paper.

It stands roughly 1m20 tall and is ment to be played at while standing on the ground and the players be seated.
Im also conciddering placing a chess clock underneath the removable rooftop.

Hope you enjoy this project, i will post updates as often as is interresting (IMO).
Any advice or suggestions are obviously welcome!

Greetings,
Bart

Last edited:
O hey, cool that you are interested in my build, thanks!
I might bother you later, im polanning on making a full laputa robot cosplay costume...
I see you built one 1/20 scale, is there a thread about the process?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back