Spider-Man Stealth *green* 2nd cosplay ever and totally addicted! *Pic Heavy*

Aberwrath

New Member
Hello all! I've been watching these forums for a while and this is my first time joining in on the fun. Three weeks ago I went to Wizard World in Philly like I do every year but this time I decided to cosplay for the first time. I went as Casey Jones and loved every second of it. When I got back I started coming up with ideas for my next project already. So... Here's what I came up with.


I've always loved Spider-Man but I wanted to try a version of him that I haven't seen a lot of at conventions. So I picked from one of my favorite arcs, Spider-Man Big Time! The green stealth suit.

image1 (3).JPG

I started out with just a plain black zentai suit, and started adding the basic stuff. *shoes* and I just finished the eyes last night, which I'm amazed worked out because I have never sewed anything before.

2jhdP6J.jpg

I know that they are not the specific eye shape for the suit, but I decided on a homage to the suit rather than a full replica. It gives me the chance to have fun with this! The eyes will also glow in the dark.

The lights for the spider pattern that I am using are these.
IMG_3523.JPG
They are 9ft EL tape strands but they are actually shaped like really long and bright green glowsticks. Which is where I am having a problem. I'm going to be laying them out on the suit in the pattern of the suit above but instead of making them the full design I will be doing the outline of the design in these lights. Leaving black in the middle. Sort of like a tron suit.

I just do not know how to attach them to the suit. I'm worried that if I sew them on like the eyes, they will be loose when I am sitting down. I wanted them to be firmly attached and look like they are part of the suit. Any tips out there?

Sorry for the long winded post, I'm just excited to do this and not quite sure what direction to take it.

Thank you for reading this and for any advice!!


image1 (3).JPG


2jhdP6J.jpg


IMG_3523.JPG
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Aberwrath

New Member
That's actually a really good idea! I'll try it out when I get home from work. It might be a cool visual to have it all black and then the lights turn on from under the suit. Thanks!
 

Viktor Boskovic

New Member
If it was me, id sew long strips of black lycra inside the suit where you want the lights and then you can slide the lights into the newly created pockets. This means you can easily remove them for cleaning the suit and if you wanted you could place different colours in there. and with the lights not being attached to the suit it means the suit can still stretch freely when putting on and moving around.
 

Aberwrath

New Member
Hmm.. That is also a good idea Viktor! Though the one thing i'm worried about with that is the pattern of the symbols and the shape of the lights. They are two long chains *one front / one back* and i think it would be hard to set them up in that pattern with the sheath idea. I tested hot glue on the shoes and eyes today, and I found some awesome glow in the dark hot glue which I didn't even know existed.
glowgluesticks.jpg

So I might do a test run on them tonight and lace the outsides of the eyes with them. They react to any light at all and not just UV.

I also tried the lights under the suit and sadly it does not show enough. I'm leaning towards hot glue with the lights, but not using a lot of it. Just dots, to hold it and make the lights stable but the suit still flexible. Thanks for these awesome ideas!!
 

Aberwrath

New Member
Sorry for the lack of updates but I have returned! I started working on and finished my own version of a webbed backpack

. webclose.jpgwebon.jpg

I used painted Jute Rope, and torn up dryer sheets with some hot glue. I wanted more of an organic webbing. So I used a technique I learned from working in haunted house attractions to make the hot glue stretch over the pack and bubble up like a real web with water on it. Now to work on the costume some more!
 

Aberwrath

New Member
Thank you for the sub Acearchdragon!! So I have a little update.

It turns out that the lights are too regid to work how I wanted them to. So i've decided to go the more tedious but normal route and sew on green lycra where the designs go. I will still use the lights somehow, but that comes later. Now I need to work on sketching out the image onto paper, transfer it to the green neon lyrca and then sewing it to the suit.
 
Top