Speaking of Phaser Rifles...

MattMunson

Master Member
Just added this to the site today. I've had it for a few weeks, but never had a chance to post it. Sorry for the dark pic.

rifle_b.jpg

This is a fan build up of a resin copy of a made-for-production piece. It's the rifle held by Romulans, and was used in number of episodes. I'm quite confident that it appeared in DS9 and TNG, but I don't recall off the top of my head which TNG episodes it could have been in, so I'm putting this in the DS9 section.
The build up was done using all the correct Plasti-Kote colors, painted to match the pictures seen in "The Art of Star Trek".

This piece follows a very typical development cycle for stuff in my collection. I acquired the casting a while back from a private collector in a trade. It was just a raw kit. Resin, with a couple pieces. I did some work on it, cleaning the seam and stuff like that, and then it got put into a box. Where it sat. For years. Then one day, I was doing some wheelin' and dealin' with a fellow collector, and I asked him if he would paint it up for me and finish it. A few days later, and the final results were in.

Excellent paint job, and excellent finish. I'm really quite happy with how this turned out. Another nice little rifle for my collection.

I'll be adding another rifle soon, so keep yer eyes peeled.

Here's the other one, a Jem H'Dar rifle...

rifle_b.jpg

I believe this to be a made-for-production prop. I have no documentation to support this, but plenty of evidence. The main evidence I have for this is the manner in which it was built up and painted. I won't go into too many details, but there's a ton of things about this rifle that make me think it was made by HMS.
I don't think it was screen used, though I suppose it could have been. I just don't have any reason to believe that, so I'm passing on it.

The paint job on it is very cool. All kinds of neat and nifty weathering make this look like it has seen some battle. There's an aluminim plate glued into the side, and the nozzle is turned acrylic... just like the real ones.

The size of the casting also makes me think it was made for production, as it's the same size as the highest generation casting I've ever seen. I suppose I should pursue confirmation from the prop house on this, but it's really not that important of a detail to me. I view this as a very nice weathered piece that fills a niche in my collection. I tend not to focus on alien technologies, but this piece just fell into my lap.

your Jem H'Dar rifle...

rifle_b.jpg

...was also used by security guards on NX-01 Enterprise.

Plus, Kirk had one on his wall in the "Nexus" scenes in "Star Trek Generations".

mp2g.jpg

-k

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back