Speakin Up Boss......Cool Hand Luke

tain669

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I gotta say that this is one of my favorite non SF/Horror films.While Paul Newman did one of the best roles in his career...The guy who reall stole the show was..Boss Godfrey....Yep....Morgan Woodward....Not one word...But the guy was the movie ofr me. Anyone got a favorite character from this film.?

"What we have here..................is a failure........to communicate!"

"A man gets rabbit in his blood, he spends a night in the box!"

"I don't care if it rains or freezes, as long as I got my plastic *****, sitting on the dashboard of my car"

Anywho, after Luke, my favorite character is Dragline.

"I STILL say nobody can eat fifty eggs..."

So once a week a bunch of us go out to a local bar and play "The Movie Game". You pick a topic, then you go around the table taking turns saying your movie. For example, last month we had "sweatiest movie". Among titles like Rocky and Rambo, Cool Hand Luke ended up winning. :lol

I watched this movie a few years ago and just didn't "get" it at all. Something about it reminded me of Vanishing Point, another movie I just didn't understand or appreciate to the same degree as other people. Same way with One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Maybe it is that whole fighting the system solely for the sake of fighting the system thing. I try to watch movies like this that a lot of people think are great, but I just don't get the appeal. Not saying it is a bad movie, I just don't understand the point and don't find it entertaining.

Trivia alert here............... Lucille protrayed by Joy Harmon did her tease only to the camera crew. A teenage girl (fully clothed) was asked to wash a car and let the actors in the scene emote to the directors description from the script of the teasing car wash.

Clifton James........ Any man who ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, spends a night in the box.

LOVE this movie! One of my all time favorites, Cuckoo's nest also. Fighting the system for the sake of fighting the system is something you're either born to do or not. I like to think I am, but still "play the game" enough to stay gainfully employed. :cool I guess that makes me a sellout:lol

Being a rebel is just plain fun....doing what others can't or won't do inspires. It's why I ride the line so often.....keeps 'em on their toes :D

I think I'll pop over to youtube and watch some clips.:thumbsup

I couldn't pick a favorite character in this movie....it's a perfect formula that needs each to make is so perfect. Remove even one and it just would lose something.

I love Dragline (George Kennedy) as a pure comedic character, but Luke is a just so compelling. He's similar to Nolan's Joker or Ayn Rand's Howard Roark in that he is driven to do things to prove a point even if doing them means his own destruction.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back