Soylent Green can label replica

Markus

Sr Member
It's Friday - and Friday is ... yes, right:
soylent-green-advance-sm.jpg

Yes, I know, there have been quite a few posts of the "Soylent Green" label in these forums. And most of these are great. So, why would I make another one? Because I can and I want to. :) I just love playing with typography, so I wanted to give this a try, and maybe I am able to make some minor improvements.
I posted this on my blog - and I'm sharing this below.

In another forum, Cmd.Kerner just gave me some advice on the fonts, which I use as a starting point.
As a reference, I used this link to an old auction.
740770.png
I have read that the original can was 4 3/4" high by 2 1/2" wide, and some people use a Nestle Nutriment can, which had these sizes. I still had a Rumford Baking Power can that is also 2 1/2" wide, but only 3 3/4" high. This is what I will use - and for which I will make the label.
Rumford.jpg
On the fonts:
For "NEW!", I used Future Press, which is not perfect, but it comes rather close to the reference.

NEW.jpg
For "delicious", I used Monotype Baskerville Bold Italic (as suggested by Cmdr.Kerner - thanks again!) which is perfect.
For "soylent green", the "Haettenschweiler" font is pretty good when the height is scaled to 83%. There is just one detail that bothered me: the "t". In the original prop, the top of the "t" is tilted. But I was not able to find any font with such a "t" that looks close enough. So I decided to fix this by hand (by overlaying a box over the top).
SoylentGreen-t.jpg

The lower part on the blue background is set in a "Times-like" roman typeface. However, there is one detail, that no other replica has captured: the tilt in the "M". Here are the words "Miracle food" for four different fonts (all bold or semi-bold):
fonts.jpg

In Bitstream Charter and Time New Roman, the outer lines of the "M" are vertical - and different from the original prop. While searching for a better font, I found "Junicode" (which was already installed on my Linux system), but some of its letters looked a little different (e.g. the "a"). After some searching, I found the Semi-Bold version of "New Alster", which is overall closest to the original.

Here is the final result: a png file at 300dpi for printing on letter-size.
SoylentGreen-label.png

Looks mighty fine! Makes me happy to see my yellow and red labels being put to good use!
It's Friday - and Friday is ... yes, right:
View attachment 1304241

Yes, I know, there have been quite a few posts of the "Soylent Green" label in these forums. And most of these are great. So, why would I make another one? Because I can and I want to. :) I just love playing with typography, so I wanted to give this a try, and maybe I am able to make some minor improvements.
I posted this on my blog - and I'm sharing this below.

In another forum, Cmd.Kerner just gave me some advice on the fonts, which I use as a starting point.
As a reference, I used this link to an old auction.
View attachment 1304234
I have read that the original can was 4 3/4" high by 2 1/2" wide, and some people use a Nestle Nutriment can, which had these sizes. I still had a Rumford Baking Power can that is also 2 1/2" wide, but only 3 3/4" high. This is what I will use - and for which I will make the label.
View attachment 1304235
On the fonts:
For "NEW!", I used Future Press, which is not perfect, but it comes rather close to the reference.

View attachment 1304236
For "delicious", I used Monotype Baskerville Bold Italic (as suggested by Cmdr.Kerner - thanks again!) which is perfect.
For "soylent green", the "Haettenschweiler" font is pretty good when the height is scaled to 83%. There is just one detail that bothered me: the "t". In the original prop, the top of the "t" is tilted. But I was not able to find any font with such a "t" that looks close enough. So I decided to fix this by hand (by overlaying a box over the top).
View attachment 1304237

The lower part on the blue background is set in a "Times-like" roman typeface. However, there is one detail, that no other replica has captured: the tilt in the "M". Here are the words "Miracle food" for four different fonts (all bold or semi-bold):
View attachment 1304238

In Bitstream Charter and Time New Roman, the outer lines of the "M" are vertical - and different from the original prop. While searching for a better font, I found "Junicode" (which was already installed on my Linux system), but some of its letters looked a little different (e.g. the "a"). After some searching, I found the Semi-Bold version of "New Alster", which is overall closest to the original.

Here is the final result: a png file at 300dpi for printing on letter-size.
View attachment 1304240
Nice work on the updated text! I really recommend the Nutrament cans for accurate sizing. I love that you were able to find a white lid to fit the can so easily. I can't use up my baking powder fast enough!

I love it. I think some of these should be in every pantry!

Have you done a label scaled for the original size cans too, or just the baking powder cans?

I love it. I think some of these should be in every pantry!

Have you done a label scaled for the original size cans too, or just the baking powder cans?
Thank you! I only made the version for the baking powder cans.
These are about 3 3/4" tall and have a circumference of somewhere between 9" and 9 1/4".
If you know the size of the original cans (I assume, you are referring to the Nutrament cans), I could probably scale them to make them fit. Please let me know.

Well I don’t know where to find one yet, but I’ll for sure make a baking powder one in the meantime.

But I guess it just needs to be the right size; not necessarily the exact same can.

Thank you for your work on this!

I need to watch it again. I remember the movie box cover- the dumpster loader with the bucket full of bodies... Awesome!!!

Well I don’t know where to find one yet, but I’ll for sure make a baking powder one in the meantime.

But I guess it just needs to be the right size; not necessarily the exact same can.

Thank you for your work on this!

I need to watch it again. I remember the movie box cover- the dumpster loader with the bucket full of bodies... Awesome!!!
You know what? I just saw that I had mentioned the size of the Nutriment can in my very first post in this thread. Same diameter, but 4 3/4" tall (as compared to the 3 3/4" Baking Powder). So,I need to stretch it by 1". The first quarter is easily gained by not cutting the existing image too close. So, I need additional stretching by 3/4" - let's see...

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back