Sources for custom boots?

Koda Vonnor

Anybody have experience with a bootmaker or company that will build custom fit boots from blueprints? My current source has gone incommunicado and I'm hoping to locate another source.

I have found several web sources, mostly for western (cowboy) boots, but wondered if any of you might have a local source. Looking for more Argentine polo-style than western style.

Many thanks!

~ Bill C.

Funny I would come across this post. I just sat down with the coolest bootmaker I've ever met this week, and ordered a pair of custom thigh high renaissance officer's boots from this guy:

Renicks Western Boots
(951)688-1897

He came reccomended by a friend that had a size 22 foot, and needed a custom shoemaker. As I entered his shop in a small strip mall in Riverside, I realized that this was the guy. On his walls were several readily recognizable pairs of jedi boots, Aragorn boots, pirate boots, custom sneakers, engineer boots, and even some that can only be described as anime style/high fantasy boots. In his well-worn shop I saw an entire wall covered in fiberglass foot molds, each with copious notes scribbled all over them. He had a huge stock of leather, and the whole shop had the feel of an old-world craftsman's lair.

Mr Renick told me alot about my foot, my posture, and my walking style, assuring me that what he made for me would be exactly what I wanted, fit better than any shoe I've ever worn, and look damn good the whole time.

You may be able to work a mail order arrangement with him...I know he isn't exactly local to most of the U.S.... He has a lifetime guarantee policy, you like his work or you don't pay.

Yeah MotorCowboy's great quality, but I heard they absolutely will NOT make a boot design from scratch, or even modify the design of one of their existing models.

I just googled them and yep, it's Riverside, CA!! I'm going to call him about some custom Vader boots! Thanks for the tip!

Wow, that's great! When my Obi-Wan boots finally disentegrate from age I'll take a trip over there.

Anyone who gets some boots from them, please post so we can see the work.

Tell him Big Ron sent you.

I'll take my camera next time I go in for a fitting.

Remember the bookstore in 'the Neverending Story?'

I'm not kidding, The walls were DRIPPING with well-recognized costume boots, fully custom made, waiting for the comissions to arrive and pick them up. I was flabbergasted, and once I sat in 'the chair', and put my foot in his hands, I knew he was the right guy.

Again, old world craftsmanship in a teeny old strip mall on Magnolia Avenue in Riverside Ca.

Pictures soon.

Last edited:
I just had a bad experience with Motorcowboy. After spending weeks of showing them what i wanted, and giving them measurements, with pics, they not only took longer than expected, but they screwed me over with a pair of boots with a different colored soles, and a horribly-made calfs not to the measurements I wanted, but to my leg measurements. It looks ridiculous.

I gave them pics with measurements pasted on them, and pointed them out endlessly.

When i complained to Jim, not only he avoided replying back, but he blamed me for the mistake and told me I could just dye the soles myself. WTF?

Told him I wanted to exchange them. He never replied. I asked twice.

It's too bad. I had brought him a lot of business, and I needed to get more boots from him. Not gonna happen.

Were they a "from-scratch" design, GK? Or a modification of one of their normal production models? I'm trying to get an idea of how much modding they are willing to do. I heard they do not do ANY modifications to their designs, only size customizations.

Thanks!

~ Vonnor

Were they a "from-scratch" design, GK? Or a modification of one of their normal production models? I'm trying to get an idea of how much modding they are willing to do. I heard they do not do ANY modifications to their designs, only size customizations.

Thanks!

~ Vonnor

It was a movie boot replica they have never done before, and, most likelly, will never do again.

Hmm...I am too looking for a custom shoe maker, more then boots. I had contated CA boots before, but they said no. What I need is a pair of size 16 clonetrooper shoes/boots in a dark greay color...

I am a true fan of the RPF and I try to visit often but I do not post enough. I must change my tardy ways so I must comment on this thread.

With regard to Motorcowboy; you are entering a 'buyer beware' sitution. I have nothing bad to say about the product that I had made and shipped to me. A plain black high officer boot. And the boots are very nice given the price. ($350.00 a good deal for the quality.) i.e. made to measure with or without lifts, choice of soles, etc. But, the order arrived late and had to be shipped on to me, at my expense. And given that you give an outline of your foot I don't know how a size 7 becomes a size 9. And this man works a business strictly online and he can review everything before he will answer you. If you have a problem the chances are you will not get an answer. Some 6 months after getting the boots I tried to contact him for a second pair but it must have tripped a red flag as I never heard a word from him.
Beware the pitfalls of dealing with him. It is a shame, as I have learned to work with and around the size problem and they are holding up rather well. The new chap in Riverside is of most interest. Let's hope he lives up to expections.

Best of luck with what you need, guy.

Crazy Old Wizard
The Force will provide. But we do not always know quite when.

PS Have heard of other people that also have sizing issues that rarley get satisfaction. Would be great if someone with a sense of decency could supply the same quality of product.

...well I just got back from Renicks Western Boots..the shop is AMAZING!! Definatly a old world craftsman..tons of fantastic boots of top quality..I went in for a set of Vader boots ...I am currently using a set of the cheap costume boots size 14 with a 1.5" internal lift...I brought some pictures of the screen used boots and we talked about making a set of custom leather boots with internal lfts..I am totaly confident that he would make an AMAZING pair of boots..he is also willing to take a deposit and payments..

now the bad news...$550 and a 4 month wait...

I had to pass...finances just won't allow that much for boots right now, but if you want high quality boots, he is your man

Rockabilly, understand Motorcowboy was $350. (give or take a bit) and almost 3 months to arrive and are 2 full sizes too big. To me the other guys price doesn't sound so bad, if they fit. And the workmanship is okay. And at least you can go and talk to him. Once you have placed an order with Motorcowboy you can not talk to him again because he knows you have a complaint.
But understand the cost difficulty. You've got four months, start. HA.

I've used this guy several times. He does awesome work.

http://www.shraderbootmaker.com/

Mark

I just used him to make me a custom set of Mal Reynolds Firefly series-type boots.
Same price as Motorcowboy and a LOT better looking.
2305541.jpeg

They even look better than shown here, actually.

You could also try the leather boutique.com, ask for Carlos and tell him Brad sent you.

Omallie970::cool

I just used him to make me a custom set of Mal Reynolds Firefly series-type boots.
Same price as Motorcowboy and a LOT better looking.
2305541.jpeg

They even look better than shown here, actually.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back