Something out of Nothing - Budget Builds lets see them!

Cost is about nothing -made from scrap styrene and MDF, red putty and spray paint (already in the garage).

5015_4395325841.jpg

5015_8144227142.jpg

5015_7622873754.jpg

The entire build thread, along with current developments can be found here

There are alot of great looking builds in here, even more so when you consider the budgets.

I see that there has already been a couple of HAL9000s posted in this thread, so here is my recently finished attempt:

hal9000-interface-first-prop-build-finishedfront.jpg-139909d1359406736

hal9000-interface-first-prop-build-finishedside.jpg-139910d1359406736

All together including extra parts that could be used to make another, he cost no more then £30. Build thread is here for anyone intrested.

There are alot of great looking builds in here, even more so when you consider the budgets.

I see that there has already been a couple of HAL9000s posted in this thread, so here is my recently finished attempt:

hal9000-interface-first-prop-build-finishedfront.jpg-139909d1359406736

hal9000-interface-first-prop-build-finishedside.jpg-139910d1359406736

All together including extra parts that could be used to make another, he cost no more then £30. Build thread is here for anyone intrested.

very cool!

Not a build as such, more of a paintjob. I took a really nasty soft plastic 99p Shop Desert Eagle toy, cleaned it up as much as I could, stuck on a few greeblies, splashed on a bit of black, light grey and desert sand paint, let it dry and splashed on loads of red, wiped most of it off and fitted an old tac light I've had knocking around, and voila! Maya the Siren's gun from Borderlands 2.

I built a Vortex Manipulator for a Capt. Jack Harkness Halloween costume this year. Total cost was under $20 as nearly all of it was scraps from other builds. The expensive element was the snaps!

VortexManipulator.jpg

How much to make me one I am a huge fan you did great work there man

There is a lot of great, and inspiring, projects on this thread.

I'm really looking forward to this weekend; to hide in the garage, drink whiskey and beer and make stuff!

Entirely made from offcuts, apart from the mount which used to be the sliding shelf on my old computer desk (that I don't use)

A tin of red spray paint was the only outlay

d5fe9348-8b52-4e5b-a0bb-fa615cf70d0b_zps06fbac62.jpg

Hi all! I'm new to the site, but I've been really impressed by the amazing replicas on display here. My girlfriend and I recently went to a scifi con in the UK, and I built a couple of replicas from Farscape which I thought would go nicely in this 'something out of nothing' thread! :)

We made the decision to go in costume really late, so I quite literally built these Farscape Peacekeeper pulse pistols in two days.... (sorry for the poor photos, I need to take some good shots with my camera rather than just my phone!)

My girlfriend made the comm badges (balsa and a sieve for the metal grills), the Peacekeeper dog-tags and the panels on my... ahem... drill box! It made for a handy 'Peacekeeper toolbox' for our cameras and stuff while at the convention lol!

I know the pulse pistols are horrifically rough-and-ready, but given the time I had to build them, I think they did the job. I reckon I'll make a new one sometime in the near future and get it properly finished with all the details and include some lights and such. I made these ones out of balsa wood, then filler and primer and spray paint. We then gave a them a quick dry-brushing with silver paint to give them a bit of definition and detract from just how rough they were. ;) Still, for two(and a bit) evenings of work... :D

Hi all! I'm new to the site, but I've been really impressed by the amazing replicas on display here. My girlfriend and I recently went to a scifi con in the UK, and I built a couple of replicas from Farscape which I thought would go nicely in this 'something out of nothing' thread! :)

We made the decision to go in costume really late, so I quite literally built these Farscape Peacekeeper pulse pistols in two days.... (sorry for the poor photos, I need to take some good shots with my camera rather than just my phone!)

My girlfriend made the comm badges (balsa and a sieve for the metal grills), the Peacekeeper dog-tags and the panels on my... ahem... drill box! It made for a handy 'Peacekeeper toolbox' for our cameras and stuff while at the convention lol!

I know the pulse pistols are horrifically rough-and-ready, but given the time I had to build them, I think they did the job. I reckon I'll make a new one sometime in the near future and get it properly finished with all the details and include some lights and such. I made these ones out of balsa wood, then filler and primer and spray paint. We then gave a them a quick dry-brushing with silver paint to give them a bit of definition and detract from just how rough they were. ;) Still, for two(and a bit) evenings of work... :D
welcome, and nice work.

Thanks whovian! :)

Here's something else I did many years ago... A PPG pistol and comm-link from Babylon 5. I spent a LOT longer on this, which you can tell by the finish. However, the overall methods were the same. Balsa, filler, spray primers/paints. So I think it still fits nicely into 'something from nothing'.

I like using balsa because it's so quick and easy to work with. No need for expensive power-tools or the space to use them. You can make something pretty decent on your kitchen table, as long as you have something to stop yourself cutting into it. ;)

My budget version of the Aliens Colonial Marines M240 flamethrower:

8555929366_81e403ff87.jpg

Made by using a dremel to cut apart a $20 "Tony Montana" toy plastic M16/grenade launcher, re-arranging the pieces, adding a soda bottle, and gluing it all back together. :)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back