So what primer are you guys using for builds>

Nicksdad

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I finally ran out of my plasticote sandable primer and can't get it local anymore. I liked it because it was laquer based and dried fast even when layed on thick. So what would you guys recommend that you have had success with?

Lately I've been using Tamiya Fine Surface Primer. Expensive but it's lacquer based and dries quick. Super stuff. The other one I've used is Krylon. It dries fast too.

I use Tamiya, which works pretty well. Mr. Surfacer works really well, but it's more expensive. But you can get different kinds that can help fill in fine imperfections.

Tamiya primers for smaller projects and automotive based ones for larger projects, just make sure that they are acrylic based and what ever you use always test it first on a small piece of the material you intend to paint.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll have to try the tamiya, I just picked up some Rustolium auto primer so I hope it works somewhat like the old plasti kote.

I use the Rustoleum auto primer on scratchbuilds and patterns it goes on thick and you can sand it smooth and when I want a super smooth finish I'll use the Tamiya Fine primer it's the Caviar of Primers makes a crappy model look good Lol.

None of the Duplicolor/Rustoleum/etc paints can match the Plastikote... not even the Plastikote, since they changed formulations and neutered their nozzles.

Tamiya Primer is the best.
Close second is Mr. Surfacer.
Third is Upol #8 Acid Etch.

In fact, Halfords double acrylic is the best.......sadly you cant get it in the US.....but for me, it beats the Tamiya, its cheaper by volume, dries faster, top drawer stuff.
I stopped using the UPOL, at least while they insist on fitting the clusterbomb nozzle......best primer on the planet.......most redundant applicator on the market.

lee

I tried a few brands, and ended up finding the Biltema Hobby primer (Scandinavian cheapo)to give the best result. It goes on thin (some new, wider nozzle) and and gives a smooth surface. Dries quickly, works well with other paints and stops smelling quick. Ive given up on Plastikote, Its the only brand given me major problems. Thick, smelly and doesnt grip the surface as good as others... Its the only paint Ive encountered that doesnt stop smelling over time.

I use a high build automotive primer made by Transtar. Comes in a large rattle can. I get it at the local automotive paint supply. Goes on thick, dries quickly, sands nicely. About $18 a can.

Dupli-Color Filler Primer is my choice for surfacing. It is inexpensive, fast drying, and high-build. Although it seems like all hardware or auto parts store sandable/filler-type primers work about the same, that one is my fave, seems to have the highest solids.
The Tamiya primer is pretty outstanding. It is a great surface prep for paint and goes on so nicely it's almost as if you can't mess it up. It disappeared for a while, but seem to have returned. I've noted it is similar to Mr. Surfacer, but since it already comes in a spray can, I think the Tamiya wins.

Ooooo! Haven't seen Mr Surfacer in a can.

Does anyone like Mr. Resin Primer? I just tried it recently for the first time and it was promising, laid down nice and flat, super easy to spray. Haven't top coated it yet. Not a fan of spraying lacquers, but its hard to tell yet...

I mainly use the Tamiya fine primer (white typically) when the model has a pretty good surface. But I recently I tried the standard Tamiya primer as well and it seems to have characteristics that are close to Mr. Surfacer 500 (the spray can variety anyway). So I have also added that to my arsenal now.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back