So how exactly would one display this prop???

I have a German Officer dagger on the wall, which has the Swastika on it. However, it's a memento brought back by my wife's grandfather, as he was a Sherman tank commander in the 5th Armored Division. :love

A single war trophy is understandable. Some people have entire displays that they paid good money for.

I think there's a difference in walking into someone's house and seeing nothing but Nazi stuff displayed versus Nazi stuff displayed with other items.

People collect all kinds of war memorabilia. Potentially a different level of collecting than say action figures and movie props.

I had a similar dilema with my Spear of Destiny on a Nazi flag (from Constantine). People who "know" are cool with it, those that aren't raise eyebrows...

Short answer, put it in a place where only you (or your like minded or in-the-know friends) will see it. It's not a piece made for the masses to see.

Fold the sides inward behind the head, then fold in the bottom, then the top.
This will give you a square with a cut-out face.

Frame that next to a matching screen-cap and title it in big letters - "Bad Boys Movie Costume".
If you can, get one of those small screens and have it display a loop of the scene.

This is one of those prop pieces that just never get displayed and are resting in a cabinet somewhere. It doesn't get pulled out until you have a friend from the prop community come over and you say, "Hold my beer, I'm going to show you something!".

Hello,

I agree with RelicMaker, I wouldn't display it, My father is from the south and has a real one from the '30s. Last time I seen it it was complete and still had stains on it (looked like blood, but never tested). I don't know where it is now. He only had it because its a family history piece, it was my great grandfathers. With all the news media lately, and how many feel about it, be vary cautious who sees it.

stilgar

There are TWO questions here:

- how do I display it? (shadow box, mannequin, etc.)
- should I display it?

1st question: be overt about showing it within its movie context:

- in shadow box/frame, shown flat for best effect
- with a couple good stills from the movie to 'explain' where it comes from
- small plaque that names movie, prop, etc

All nicely matted and framed out--you'd have a movie prop that is historically disturbing (similar to all the various Nazi-inspired displays, uniforms, props that some have)--BUT that also 'lands' it in a movie context.

2nd question:
people collect real war artifacts, or historical movies props: WWII, Roman gladiatorial items. Some replicate torture implements--Freddy Kruger, Hellraiser, & so on. I don't understood the fan base for Star Wars Imperial costuming--they were that galaxy's 'stormtroopers' and oppressors. But different people get excited about different aspects of movie collecting, costuming, etc. You can dress as Jason or Freddy or Darth Vader--and it doesn't mean you're that thing.

Yet, I think to display a Klan hood is disturbing and complicated. If you're not a racist or a white purist--you could certainly run into misunderstandings surrounding the display of the 'prop'. That's why I think it's so vitally important to show it IN CONTEXT within the movie.

This hood is SO iconic. It's as negatively iconic for me as a Nazi swastika. So while I can suggest ways to display it as a prop, as a symbol for fear and hatred (which for me it is), I would never want it in my house.

how about just framing it and have a picture of the scene with it to go along in it? its a tough one to do, but if you were to fold the point down, people would just think its a horror mask or something.

You could display it as a "replica" prop from this movie instead.
cleavon_little-klan_outfit.jpg

YouTube - ‪Blazing Saddles - KKK‬‎

i agree with contec's picture, its definitely a funny move, and you have the main character who dealt with racial issues in that town wearing that costume.

i dont think having a picture of will smith and martin lawrence with guns pulled would be tasteful for this, because at the very basic premise of two african american men with guns, is what those ignorant klansmen fear.

im assuming you dont have it and just have it out on the table for discussion. its surely something i wouldnt own. i cant imagine someone spending any kind of money on something like this, only to not have it displayed in some fashion, or to burn it or whatever.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back