Snatcher - Metal Gear MkII Robot Build

A bit more work done!

Marked out the exact size circles to drill out for the eyes to fit.
zagejusa.jpg

I got really lucky and two of the holes matched up perfectly to two of the drill bits in my new set of Forstner dril bits.

7eruvady.jpg

THe eyes were fitting a little tight so I used a drum sander bit by hand to sand the edge of the hole just a hair.
ybyha3ub.jpg

Next I drilled out the largest hole with the biggest bit I had.
udysyju4.jpg

I then enlarged the holeby using my sanding bit like a mill on my drill press.
2emere3u.jpg

Worked like a charm.
quqe6a9a.jpg

The eyes don't go all the way into the face yet due to the fact that I didn't drill all the way through the face yet. I'm hoping to slush cast the part eventually so I need an enclosed part and would have to cover the eyes hole anyways before making my mold. After making the final slush cast part I can just open those holes with a dremel before assembling the head.

I also started making the part onto which the head antennas will mount to.

ebunynen.jpg

qy8y8aje.jpg

It's nice to make a good chunk of progress.

Last edited:
I think that would definitely be a good folllow up project. All the straight lines would sure be a relief instead of all these compound curves.

Not to mention all the copious amounts of 3D reference!

It's also nice that other fans have already made really good 3D models of the MGS4 Metal Gear MkII. I can use those renderings almost as blueprints. I could even 3d print parts from those files if needed! Lots of interesting stuff to learn and try with that eventual project.

Sounds fantastic.
I've always been interested in making a Snatcher short film... Kind of a gritty Johnny Pneumonic (Don't bash me for the crappy film reference) style project but with more realistic and Philip K. Dick style props and such.
Would cost an arm and a leg and for some odd reason this has been the brokest year of my friggin life, but damn would that be a fun project.
Kind of why I'd want to own a MGS4 style Metal Gear... I mean, I grew up with Kojima games and Snatcher has always stuck with me (kicking ass with the crappy light gun on the Sega CD) but after they reimagined the Metal Gear MK. II in MGS4, I was so awestruck. I love the original Metal Gear and its quaint retro-tech look but the new one blew me away.

Forgive the ramble... Fellow Austinite? Wicked. Sadly I had to move to San Antonio... Guess I should update my profile info about now.

Actually I've thought about making a fake Snatcher movie trailer with the finished model.

It wouldn't be too hard to convert it into a green screen rod puppet. Should work pretty well.

We'll see if opportunity and time can be synced up once the project is finished.

Forgot to post these pics a little ways back in the process on the head-

I slush cast a hollow head in Smooth-on Onyx fast resin and then chopped off the front half with a hacksaw after carefully taping the guidelines for the cut.

IMG_6896.JPGIMG_6899.JPGIMG_6932.JPG

I then cut out the slot in the back of the head with a dremel cutting sheel and then made the recessed area by glueing in a sliver of styrene a couple milimeters below the surface.

IMG_6956.JPGIMG_7044.JPG

A lot of work for just a little recessed rectangle. There was probably a better way to do this but this is what I came up with that day.

Last edited:
I was at the craft store and found a convenient solution for the lens over the eyes.

ypezynaz.jpg

The lens for the large eye is a touch too small but will work for now.

My OCD couldn't wait and I went ahead and cut out the lens from a thin walled plastic bottle I also found at the craft store. The dome of the lens looks a little nicer too.

7emevuva.jpg

I used a sharpie to black the inner edge of the circle holding the lens and while the ink was still wet I pressed it against the bottle making a nice black circle to cut out.

I might still try a resin lens but this looks pretty darn good.

Snatcher is going to have its 25th anniversary this November 28. I'm going to try and have this in working order by then so that should be mean fairly regular updates until then!

Looking really good. I wish they'd at least put the sega cd up on PSN or xbl to celebrate the anniversary. I mean they even have the ps2 version floating around, i guess it's too much work to translate it again. I never think of using googly eyes for the lenses of things.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back