Smoothing Monster Clay

Dillonusob

hey guys! Trying to smooth out my bio sculpt, and wondering if there was a quicker or better way than I have tried. I have tried-

Freezing with duster, sanding
Mineral spirits and sponge
Heat gun on low
Buffing while cold

Cant seem to smooth some of my tool marks. Suggestions appreciated!!!

Wait... let me revise what I just said. How I achieved the smooth look was by using wet sandpaper. After a while and as you progress with the grit paper it should reach something like this consistency in the picture.

Wait... let me revise what I just said. How I achieved the smooth look was by using wet sandpaper. After a while and as you progress with the grit paper it should reach something like this consistency in the picture.

So like wet sanding before rebuffing clear coat on a car?

A great method I found for oil based clays like monster clay is to get a those green scrubbing sponges, used for dishes that have a kinda of rough texture. And use it with lighter fluid or 99% Rubbing alcohol (lighter fluid tends to soften the clay better, but either work fine). It works great as a start to a smooth surface, getting major rough textures or tool marks out. Then I would use an alcohol torch (a squeeze bottle can he found on Amazon) that uses denatured alcohol and can smooth the clay like glass! It has great control and it's a life saver for situations likes this.

But keep in mind, this takes time and you will probably have to go over the sculpture many times. Smoothing clay is never really a quick part of the sculpting process, and the more patient you are about it, the better! (y)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back