Sinned's 2015 Jun-Jul Sculpture Contest Entry

Sinned

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Had a blast working on The Silence last round, so going to try my hand at it again. Not sure where last attempt ranked, but I was happy with it. Probably lacking on "wow factor" so will see if I can remedy that this time. :) Still need to mold the dang thing though. Oh, so little time for all the fun things . . .

Anyway, similar to what I wound up with last time, I'll be doing a misc. creature bust. I really enjoyed that format for the last contest, so want to continue honing my skills in that direction. This one, however, will not be based on anything, just a creature. No real scale associated with this one, because who knows how big the "real" creature is. :)

I might dip into Monster Clay with this one, but most likely will stick with Chavant.

As for tips, I'm still really new to all this, so can only recommend looking for great reference material, as well as watching as many different sculpting videos as you can get your eyes on. Pay attention to how they use their hands, and their tools. Most of your form should be in place before you take any real tool to it. My favorites to watch are Don Lanning (he has an incredible demeanor to him, explains technique extremely well, and he's amazing to boot), and Jordu Schell (a little lacking in the demeanor, but unbelievable skill).

Finally a start!

I got some new tools in, and wanted to put some epoxy reinforcement on them, before putting them to use. I was going to do some of my work with Sculpy, but had some leftover mixed Epoxy Sculpt, so decided to put it to use. The end result...tools ready for use, and the start of some pieces for this project. I haven't decided exactly how I'm going to integrate them yet, and certainly won't use them all. Just made a lot of things, and will pick the ones I like the most, when it's time to add them. May still make a few things with Sculpy as well, depending on what direction things start going.

creature-01_zpsfmg6lzsd.jpg

Thanks Mr Mold Maker ! Of course, after they cured a while, I realized I twisted all the horns in the same direction, so I only have ones usable for one side. Doh! At least I'm getting an earlier start this time. Need to pick up some more Chavant this week!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back