SinglePoint scope measurements for replica

Pedro

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi folks! I'm working on a super accurate SinglePoint 3d model for 3d printing. I've found a number of details on mine (dome tip) that I don't see on other replicas, trying to catch them all so this is 99%. The most important I think is the "flat" at the base of the adjustment turrets and smaller cylinder in the center section (it's not a simple cylindrical shape). There are some small details as well, molding mark on the adjustment screw, locking "pin" on the small cylinder, notch to assist in tip removal, etc.

But I realized a few days ago that there are other differences in addition to the tip. I've already finished up the dome version, so I guess I'll have accurate correct and incorrect versions. ;) The larger center section on the dome tip version cuts of sharply before returning to the "main" cylinder, but the cone tip version seen in the films has a smooth transition. Easy enough. However...

I need some help with a few measurements from a real cone tip version, I don't feel good trying to get this right with photo matching. The biggie is that the turrets/adjustment caps are completely different between the versions. (There may be a third (?) version, as I see some cone tipped scopes with the rubbery snap on caps, and others with the screw on caps we typically see in Star Wars.)

Would someone who owns a real version with screw on caps be willing to grab some measurements with a caliper (or even a decent photo with a ruler, mm ideally) for me? Here's what I need:
SinglePoint_measurements_needed.jpg

Here are some photos of an earlier prototype (dome version), this is coming out so nicely! Will be fully functional too, since there's basically nothing to it but an acrylic light pipe :)
singlepoint-3.jpg

singlepoint-4.jpg

Render showing the "flat" under the turrets.
singlepoint_flat.jpg

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

I am most grateful OdiWan72 ...You are my only hope and all that jazz :)(y) I'm interested to see how close I get with my eyeballed model. :)

Here are the dimension, taken with analog calipers, since my digital ones are trashed...again :/
So I have to "guesstimate" the exact measurements.

A: 20,5mm
B: 15,5mm
C: 6,5mm
D: 4,0mm
E: 2,75mm (it´s another "D" in your drawing)
F: 2,0mm

On none of my SP´s do I find a flat area underneath the windage knobs...where did you take this from ?

Here are some detailed pictures of these areas:

CF5E5A20-B73C-4588-9B64-AE5E14118F3E.jpeg271BDDA4-C0E8-4EB9-81F8-729F2665F1B8.jpeg01EE479E-154E-4072-B76D-1DD7154C272B.jpegBE3AD116-7400-44B4-A355-C282090ECCB5.jpeg0FD58F10-4562-4567-9886-BBF5773F77A5.jpegB0DE6587-3AA2-4A04-B5FB-2CADDC332E76.jpegAF68A366-9D4E-4997-819D-16F149E0C233.jpegD58A11D5-FEEA-4103-B7D2-6D8573C1C0B5.jpegD253CCE9-2655-4865-ACFC-0C74AA62B77B.jpegC2C3BEE8-5790-454A-A40A-52B8144CE653.jpegF8D0C0AF-326D-4922-A34E-113A65CA92EF.jpeg

These pics and numbers are perfect, thanks OdiWan72 ! Man, I can’t believe my double D’s! My mind is going Dave…

The dome tipped version I have definitely has a subtle flat, but I’m no longer certain that they all do. I’ll have to look closely at your photos tomorrow, but I don’t see it in on my phone screen. Interesting!

On my domed version you can see it by looking at the turret from above. The edge of the bevel bulges outward, rather than being a straight line. Apologies for the crappy phone artwork here, it’s bedtime here…

EEF67957-34CF-4BD6-897A-3DB5186A56F1.jpeg

Seems to be a variation...some of my domed/ coned SP´s with snap on cover HAVE, some do NOT HAVE the bulged out area.

Out of all the SP´s I came across over the years, some vary with regards to:

- Finish (smooth vs. textured)
- metal vs. plastic rear bell innards
- frosted/ clead dome and/ or cone
- red vs. green acrylic rod
- snap on/ screw on covers
- base width on the windages of the snap on cover SP´s

Very interesting!

97A3C13B-1B95-47D1-8B09-CF9508D3AD1C.jpeg23A2F3AD-D55E-4044-8F86-338E91D40DD5.jpeg3A586E69-BB07-4E8C-BB5A-1096689AB521.jpeg

Last edited:
Hmm, I think the base of your turrets is a large enough diameter that it would “overtake” the flat area if it were there. So now I have a uniquely accurate in-accurate 3d model haha! Must fix tomorrow…

I didn’t realize that there were SO many variations! Have you seen the weird turrets on the pre-prod Endor rifle photos (edit: it's on a DH-17 owned by Royal Armories, not the Endor blaster)? It’s kind of a little conical tower, with wider top like the snap on cap versions.

Last edited:
Hmm, I think the base of your turrets is a large enough diameter that it would “overtake” the flat area if it were there. So now I have a uniquely accurate in-accurate 3d model haha! Must fix tomorrow…

I didn’t realize that there were SO many variations! Have you seen the weird turrets on the pre-prod Endor rifle photos? It’s kind of a little comical tower, with wider top like the snap on cap versions.

Don´t think your model is inaccurate, it is just based on one of the SPs variations.

Don´t know what picture you´re referring to...please post, if you have a chance to

Seems to be a variation...some of my domed/ coned SP´s with snap on cover HAVE, some do NOT HAVE the bulged out area.

<snip>

View attachment 1497090View attachment 1497091View attachment 1497092
OdiWan72 - Is the pictured scope a cone tip with snap on caps? I see that it doesn't have the hard edge/lip at the ends of the center bulge. It appears to have the flat like mine (to accommodate the smaller diameter adjustment base?). Fascinating!

I was mistaken about the Endor rifle, it's the Royal Armories DH-17 that has them (been doing too much research!). Pics from 'Star Wars' blasters
I'm not sure if this is legit though, looks like a ROTJ style, and the page says it was restored from parts, but it's a little vague? Anyway, the caps are...weird. Wonder if they're real or some sort of modification/replica? Notice the underside of the scope, it has a unique flat area I haven't seen elsewhere, and the lip at the edge of the center bulge. I suppose there could be some kind of surround placed over the turrets?
Di-2018-0334.png

I suspect the scope on that is one of a later variety of Singlepoint that are pretty uncommon. There were a couple of variations that came around when the company was going under that have some weird features, and there were some knock offs too I believe.

I got the snap on caps made, these are printed with a flexible resin. I want to try to add the slight texture, but overall really happy with how this part turned out! Real caps at the top left for comparison.

Attachments

• EA6500D6-A437-4614-810D-12BCD7615DC9.jpeg
    EA6500D6-A437-4614-810D-12BCD7615DC9.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 60
I like those snap on caps. I don’t see any threads on the one I have, for the dome caps that screw down. I’d be interested in the snap on caps, if you do a run.

34643489-94C5-4FBC-A260-DF1FC5C5EC86.jpeg
BEC80FB0-C1BD-437D-82A9-B5D6782A19FB.jpeg
Thanks! Can you clarify “I don’t see any threads”? You have a cone tipped sight with the individual caps (not like the above”) but they’re not threaded?

I did finish up the screw on caps and threads (lol) like in OdiWan72 reference pics. I’m still trying to get my head around the variations but starting to get the sense that pretty much any combination of features might be on a given scope. In the end it’s for fun, which I am having!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back