Silicone Mask Armature

mathiasenk

Hello Guys!
I am mask maker from Austria, specialized in Krampus masks. I am planning on making a silicone mask in the future. My problem is that I do not have a suitable armature/core for this process (Only worked with ED head before). I wanted to ask if anybody has experience with cores for silicone mask making? I've already seen the Neill's armature, has anybody used this? :)
PS: I really dont want to make a reduced core myself (too time consuming)
greetings from Austria

Hello Guys!
I am mask maker from Austria, specialized in Krampus masks. I am planning on making a silicone mask in the future. My problem is that I do not have a suitable armature/core for this process (Only worked with ED head before). I wanted to ask if anybody has experience with cores for silicone mask making? I've already seen the Neill's armature, has anybody used this? :)
PS: I really dont want to make a reduced core myself (too time consuming)
greetings from Austria
I made my own and am still tweaking it. If you could buy one you´l save a lot of time, at least. I´ve had to go through lot´s of trial and error to get close to what I wanted. Not only reduced head but also shaving down around the eyes, mouth...and the only way to know it´s ok is pulling a copy.

Thanks for your reply. As I said, I would be really happy if I would find a decent ready-to-use core. Another reason for this is that the core should be „one size fits most“, so not perfectly for me. Can somebody recommend a core to buy?
Greets

Hi,
The core is sort of THE key element that I guess most pro mask makers are not willing to share. I see 2 reasons for that: first it would allow copy of a mask to be a lot more easy then it is if you do not have the corresponding core and second it is a long process to design one and you do not really want to help competitors.
Neill's core is the only one I know that is available on the net with an open mouth (needed for silicone mask making). We never used it @ exoskin but looking at the picture on Neill's website it looks like an excellent start, that will save you a huge time and you can still do modification of it if you like.
One thing about core: you will make copy of your core since each mask mold is one core and 2 shells (in general), that will give you opportunities to try small adjustement here and there to make it "better". Practicaly, you should never scult on the original you buy...

Hey thanks for your reply. I recently found a CFX JOE, and I’m waiting for it. I’ve seen some pictures of masks made with the JOE core, and the fit looks quite nice. l’ll definitely won‘t sculpt on the original, Im thinking of tweaking a little bit at the mouth (for lip cupping). Thanks for your tips !

If not done already, watch the 3 courses on silicone masks at stan winston academy are really good. It's full of really usefull tips that will save you time and money ;) [I guess they often make 7 days free trial]

I‘ve seen the 3 courses already a few times :) I’m no newbie to mask making, I’ve made quite some silicone masks (but with a rigid underskull). Time to get into full silicone mask making!!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back