Sideshow/Legacy Life-size 'The Child' figure

Hope Sideshow gets the Hot Toys version shipping soon. After seeing all the early unboxings, I’m very excited to see one in-person, but there’s only a week left in March...

Sean
I received mine last week from sideshow and I’m in the east coast.
F23064BB-FD5D-4693-AA9E-37C770A5EEFE.jpeg
61F4C438-4425-4CD1-8510-DE42C7FD7A03.jpeg

As much as I’m not a fan of the ear seams, the Hot Toys is the winner for me. So much more expression in the face and personality. Being articulated without a modification is ideal as well.

Both looking great.But for me the Legacy one is the winner.The Hottoys looks too "smooth" from the skin to me.I also don´t like the ears.

One other thing I like better in the hot toys is the cut of the gown. I never understood the sideshow jagged cut at the bottom.

I thought Sideshow copied the pattern of the original Legacy coat? I really can't find much fault with the Sideshow and that jagged hem is visible in reference, right down to the exposed zipper tape and stitched-in wrinkle at the end of the zipper cover (admittedly with more frayed weathering on the original). You just don't typically see the unevenness in the hem it as it often folds under when resting on the ground as in this photo:

TheChild-Fathead.png1616685241230.png

Going by photos here the Hot Toys one feels somewhat more baggy than reference and appears to lack the tapering/darts along the outseam. Maybe bringing that excess material in some would help the look.

Last edited:
They're both great... however, Hot Toys is notorious for there rubber breaking down after a few years. They may have fixed that problem (came up with the Nolan Trilogy Batman figures), but it makes me leery of the positionable mouth.

They're both great... however, Hot Toys is notorious for there rubber breaking down after a few years. They may have fixed that problem (came up with the Nolan Trilogy Batman figures), but it makes me leery of the positionable mouth.

That was an issue with several of their older figures, however I haven’t heard of that coming up in quite some time.

you don’t see it when he’s walking, so it’s to short. It should be long enough to fold under so the rough edge is not seen.

I believe that's the CGI version of Grogu, so it's not quite comparable - though, yes, for both the CGI and practical performances, the animators and puppeteers tend to have him posed shorter and walking on the hem.

What you describe seems more like the result of a rigid-bodied statue standing fully upright, versus a soft-bodied puppet that is rarely extended to its full height and is instead usually a little hunched or squatting. If the Sideshow coat accurately copies an original coat or original pattern, and supposedly it does, how is that too short? The Hot Toys hem doesn't look long enough to fold under much when he's standing upright either.

Not too many times in season 1 that the puppet is free-standing with the front lower edge unobstructed, but here are some examples showing the uneven hem. The Sideshow coat can be adjusted so the zipper end hangs a half inch or so off the ground and the hem partly folds as in the first and last two screencaps below.

1616711920285.png1616710636272.png1616710654472.png1616713051753.png

Apart from free-standing puppet shots like these, the uneven hem is often visible when he is sitting, or being lifted or held.

Sounds like Sideshow will be sending me a new "body" to replace the messed up ears on mine. Does that mean a full figure, or one without a cloak? I have no idea. I had expected theyd just give me a return label to send it all back.

I also noticed when I held it up to the light that there were bits of foam stick inside the thin cavity of the vinyl ears. Not sure how that happened.

as I post this, nobleknights.com has The Child by Sideshow in stock for $324.95
KN shows free shipping but not sure for this item, maybe check during check out before completing the order

And I ordered A Child from them in Jan, I didn't pay shipping and didn't pay tax and I live in California
But not sure if one will get taxed if you live in KN's state or you live in another state that requires tax

And I think this is a pretty decent deal since ordering from Sideshow directly will cost more plus shipping and tax

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back