Sideshow 1/4 Vader. New Pic.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Super Serg, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Super Serg

Super Serg Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

[​IMG]

*ss*

2. CTF

CTF Sr Member

No widows peak? :unsure

3. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

That's but one thing wrong with it IMO...I dunno the helmet just doesn't look right to me.....mouth vent looks to big....just off.

The Medicom looks much better to me....if it were only a bit bigger....

4. streetjudge79

streetjudge79 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah the face is all wrong, This figure does nothing for me.

5. darth billy

darth billy Well-Known Member

Eeverything is wrong it looks nothing like the anh mask and helmet.It looks like something hasbro made.Its a real shame they still havent gotton it right do they even research the props before they work on the toys ?

6. cnidaria

cnidaria New Member

Well, I'm not a huge Starwars fan or Vader expert, but I share your frustration. I'm a hardcore Aliens junkie, and in 26 years since the first film, there have been only 6 or so sculpts that have been near accurate, with only 4 being 100%. I agree with you...sometimes you wonder if they did any research at all, or why they always feel the need to add thier own artistic take on something that is supposed to be a definative replica? Even I can see that this Vader looks "off", and I'm don't even collect Starwars. :unsure

Brian

7. Brent M

Brent M Sr Member

I've had one of these pre-ordered for months now, but the more pics I see the more I'm thinking of cancelling my order. I agree that the helmet/face just looks "off" and for $350 it should bloody well be PERFECT. I think SS just lost my business on this one. :(

8. Super Serg

Most SW fans who don't live/die Vader think it's awesome, & although I wasn't
    happy with the original showing, this 1 really looks nice (& in person... it's really
    breathtaking.)

All I keep hearing is "something's off"... but besides the widows peek, noones
    mentioning or showing specifics. Can any photoshop experts superimpose this
    pic with an ANH Vader to show the differences?

Thanks,

*ss*

9. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

10. phase pistol

Right now the "accuracy prize" goes to the unproduced Marmit Vader. Man that thing would have been sweet. :cry

[​IMG]

11. hirgon

hirgon New Member

You would think that at 1/4 scale the detail would be spot on. I have the ArtFX ROTS Vader at 1/7 scale and the detail is alot better than that. I also have the 1/6 scale ESB Vader from Gentle Giant on its way and i'll bet its even better detailed than this. For $350.00 this thing better look like it just walked off the set.

Just my opinion. :)

Thanks for the pics phase pistol.....

12. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Well-Known Member

The end of the helmet looks too broad, the face is too long and flat, piece in between both lenses is too thin, and the grill under the chin is recessed too much.

13. PantheraGem

PantheraGem Sr Member

I'm not a big Vader expert, but now that I've seen the side-by-side, I think the piece between the eyes is what was buggin me the most. He looks cross-eyed. How in the world could they make a figure that big, call it ANH Vader and leave off the widow's peak? IMO SideShow is really overrated and overpriced. I'm not judging them just by seeing pics online either....

14. darth billy

darth billy Well-Known Member

That marmit vader blows every vader figure out of the water.I hope one day someone will make it or one close to it they even got the right tusk painted the right color.SIDESHOW should look at that one for ideas.
    Billy

15. Brent M

Brent M Sr Member

I agree 100%. The Marmit would've been the definitive ANH Vader. I don't know why Sideshow doesn't just copy the Marmit fig. :unsure

16. phase pistol

Well maybe if we get REAL UPSET with the quarter scale statue, when they get to Vader in the sixth-scale line, they'll seek out those Marmit guys for help. :D

In my fanciful fantasy world where everything turns out right in the end. :p

- k

17. Brent M

Brent M Sr Member

I was thinking the exact same thing. When SS does a 12" Vader they basically just need to copy the Marmit figure without changing a single thing. That would be PERFECT. :thumbsup

18. Gojira61

Gojira61 Sr Member

I canceled mine, it's just too far off from right for the price. I was looking forward to it but the more photos that came along the less I liked it, it's really ashame that it's not what it could have been and should have been. :(

Jim

19. CTF

CTF Sr Member

Did they try to contact Gino... :p

20. SaberFreak

SaberFreak Sr Member

Maybe someone here who knows some higher-ups in SideShow could send them a link to this thread...

Its still not too late...they can delay the release date a bit more and correct the mistake. Heck its been delayed so much what's a month or two more? Its better then getting tons of cancelled orders before it starts shipping, or get people returning their Vaders once they get it...

21. Scarecrow

No they can't. Most of the figures are already made, I'm sure.

22. phase pistol

OK so... who here will be Dremeling off the statue's head, so they can attach a resin replacement helmet? :p

- k

23. Brent M

Brent M Sr Member

Good idea. Also, maybe someone should link to this thread over at Rebelscum.com because I know for a fact reps from SS hang out over there and read all the posts. :thumbsup

24. Scarecrow

SideshowCollectors.com is pretty much run by the Sideshow guys. That place is your best bet.

25. streetjudge79

streetjudge79 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

They should hire Howard to sculpt the new head.

26. xmart

xmart Well-Known Member

Maybe we can all come together and comission a new helmet?

27. sapper36

sapper36 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Gaah - That looks like they modeled it after an Altman's helmet.

28. Super Serg

A good friend of mine works for the R&D dept over at SS & we've almost come to
    blows over this (well, internet blows, not RL ones). Apparently, when you've
    worked for months & months & months on a piece, Lucasfilm signs off on it, 95%
    of the fans love it... that's reason enough to be happy with what you put out.

The other side of the coin is that I'm told that I won't be disappointed with the final
    product AND when I saw this in person, I was BLOWN AWAY. (There's something
    about having the piece in front of you that doesn't come across in pics)

Anyways, I've got my fingers crossed & truthfully, only time will tell (these hit in Jan).

*ss*

29. LewisD

LewisD New Member

No it is too late, I've already recieved 25 day notice which means it has already left China.

30. phase pistol

I think from Sideshow's perspective, they'd say they worked on it over a year, Vader was sculpted numerous times, the piece is finished and manufactured, and this is literally the best they could do.

[​IMG]

- k

31. Brent M

Brent M Sr Member

Wow, those progress pics are very interesting. Personally, I think the June pic looks much better than the November shot, but it's a different angle with slightly different lighting so I guess that could play a part in the different look. I'm encouraged by Super Serg's comments about how much better this statue looks in person than in pics so maybe it will be worth the $350 after all. I have to decide this week whether or not to cancel my order because I'm leaving on vacation next Saturday and won't have access to a computer for 3 weeks. :confused

32. phase pistol

Except of course for the fact that in June his saber is the shortest and pinkest. :lol

And boy that was a disturbing sentence to have to type. :$

Anyhoo, Sideshow posted a background interview on the Vader Premium statue, if you haven't seen it it's an interesting read.

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/categor...ory=111105vader

- k

33. LogansRunner

LogansRunner Well-Known Member

I agree, the june one looks much better, form what I can see, except for that saber.

34. Brent M

Brent M Sr Member

That interview with the Sideshow 3D Production Mgr. is an interesting read. He makes it sound like this will be the most accurate Vader statue ever created so maybe the final product isn't well represented in the latest pics we've seen............or maybe he's just full of it. :D

35. darienvader

darienvader Well-Known Member

Aside from all the flaws on it, it's still far too static looking for my tastes. There's no emotion to him -- he's just holding a saber -- big whoop. No sale for this fan. . . .

36. Mini-Rock

Mini-Rock New Member

:thumbsup I'm all over the SS Vader. This will be the definitive Vader released in statue form to date. Hope it ships earlier in Jan rather than later.

37. vaderdarth

vaderdarth Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I ordered one, but already have plenty of "fixes" in mind...........LOL. Now I'm just thinking of the vader as more of a cool accessory for my upcoming Old Ben figure by Sideshow. At least they got that one dead on.

I'm just hoping that I'll be pleasantly suprised to find it's alot better in person than in those pics.

Dave

38. RacerX

RacerX Well-Known Member

yes, same here. obviously sideshow didn't get it right for sure. one of the worse vaders ever released. and looks like a doll. a big, innacurate doll :cry

39. vaderdarth

A "big sold out, high dollar, money is already in the bank, doll" to be precise.

It is still better than anything "available" out there. I wouldn't be saying that had the Marmit 12" one came to light. But since it's not available and probably never will be available.......this is the only ANH one out there that's even in the ballpark.

Dave

40. Brent M

Brent M Sr Member

Well, I thought about it all weekend and I think I've decided to go ahead and keep my order in for this statue after all. I know it's not going to be 100% perfect, but I've never been as much of a stickler for accuracy as some around here anyway so chances are it will make me happy. Besides, with my luck I just KNOW that if I cancelled the order it would end up being the coolest Vader statue ever made. :p

41. Zendragon

Zendragon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I am not sure that the photos are doing it justice. But just incase I did forward this link to some contacts at SS...

42. Gruson

Gruson Well-Known Member

Maybe someone here can sculpt us a new 1/4 helmet.

;)

43. cking

cking Sr Member

I had quite a bit of correspondence with Greg Mowry and offered to send him numerous photos and measurements of my accurate ANH parts but he never took up the offer. I wish the sculptors would take a bit more time to research the differences between each movie version. They've only got to put the ANH DVD into a player to see what they need to fix to make this a more accurate representation of what is seen on screen. It appears to be a real mix of all the different versions of the costume at the moment. The helmet is by far the worst though - they really missed the mark on the proportions / details of it. I agree that someone here should sculpt a more accurate replacement. I'll bet there's a few guys who could get it a lot better - especially if provided with key measurements to help get the proportions correct. :(

Chris

44. Brent M

Brent M Sr Member

I too hope the this is just a case where the photos aren't doing the actual product justice. As far as any changes being made by SS, I think it's too late for that now. The statue is supposed to ship sometime in January so that basically means they're already done. I just hope that when I get mine and open up the box I don't feel like :eek:

45. vaderdarth

Yup, I already got my notice that they are all en-route to the warehouse and will be shipping early January. They have no intentions of changing it now.

Dave

46. Mini-Rock

Mini-Rock New Member

Same here. This can't come fast enough. :D

47. OPPI

OPPI Well-Known Member

I think you need to keep in mind that old ben was in the works when this pose was decided on. It is clearly meant to be displayed as a duel set from anh. If you look at the 2 that way, vader's pose is correct and well thought out. As for the helmet i dont know. I think it looks ok, am no vader 'expert'. Hopefully the shipped product will be dead on

dan

48. SaberFreak

SaberFreak Sr Member

Anyone knows if the head of the SS Vader is removable if someone were to sculpt and produce a replacement?

49. Brent M

Brent M Sr Member

Personally, there's no way I'd spend $350 on this statue and then mess around with trying to put a replacement head on it, but that's just me. :unsure

50. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

It looks almost like a Bat helmet.

I'm in love with that Marmit Vader...too bad it's not available at a price I could afford at least... :( ....the only 12" figure I've taken seriously...

:cheers,

T