Shuttle Tydirium kit NEW PHOTOS!!!

GF

Sr Member
This is the old MPC kit with many added and scratchbuilt details.

DSC_9768.jpg

Attachments

• DSC04601.JPG
    DSC04601.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 241
  • DSC04589.JPG
    DSC04589.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 249
Last edited:
Re: Shuttle Tydirium model finished

Nice work. I have only one complaint, but, in your defense, ILM made the same mistake so you're covered. But when this ship lands, it's lower wings fold up. Streaks on the hull would almost always be the result of rain (or at least some sort of liquid running down the hull in a gravity well), so one would expect the streaks on the lower wings to run towards the main hull rather than away from it. After all, the flight mode has the wings basically upside down from the landed mode.

I assume someone at ILM thought of this but then figured that, seeing as how most of the model's appearances are in flight, it would seem counter intuitive to see streaks going "up" the wings rather than the right way.

Just a thought. And your ship does look very good.

--Alex

Very cool build. I built one of these about 20 years ago... yours looks SO much better than mine did! LOL :D

Thank you for the nice words!

- - - Updated - - -

Nice work. I have only one complaint, but, in your defense, ILM made the same mistake so you're covered. But when this ship lands, it's lower wings fold up. Streaks on the hull would almost always be the result of rain (or at least some sort of liquid running down the hull in a gravity well), so one would expect the streaks on the lower wings to run towards the main hull rather than away from it. After all, the flight mode has the wings basically upside down from the landed mode.

I assume someone at ILM thought of this but then figured that, seeing as how most of the model's appearances are in flight, it would seem counter intuitive to see streaks going "up" the wings rather than the right way.

Just a thought. And your ship does look very good.

--Alex

I replicated the weathering to match the filming model, I know what you mean but I don't think its a mistake, if you look closely the main streakings come from little port holes (exhaust holes) not from natural weathering like rain ect... on the inner lower wings the streaks go downwards in landed position, opposite of the outsides.

Gerardo

Last edited:

Great work Gerardo! Very ILM-ish paintjob! I love it!

Chris[/QUOTE

Hey Chris how are you? always a big compliment coming from you, I know how perfectionist you are LOL! the photos don't really show subtle weathering, looks much nicer in person. I will try to post better ones.

Gerardo

Fan-freakin-tastic man. This model has never shined so well. I'd love to see some in detail of the mods you did. :)

Ben

That is awesome. You're making me want to go out and get this kit again. You've really made this kit shine.

Hi,

This looks great. I have one of these models I bought 20 years ago and recently got it out of storage to finish. I currently have an grey base coat on it but have struggled to decide what the final color should be. Your model looks just right and I was wondering what the main white color is? is it a standard out of the bottle color or a mix?

Here's a few more photos were you can see better the many added details, especially between the cannons and wing trenches.

For the base white color I used off the shelf Tamiya spray can white primer which is a slight off white and the darker panels is Tamiya A20 insignia white which is a very close match to the filming model, the hardest part is the weathering job which should be subtle and in the right areas, I actually tried to mimic every single streaks and scratches as close as possible to the filming miniature.

Attachments

• DSC04592.JPG
    DSC04592.JPG
    660.1 KB · Views: 348
  • DSC04590.JPG
    DSC04590.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 333
  • DSC04599.JPG
    DSC04599.JPG
    689.4 KB · Views: 347
  • DSC04589.JPG
    DSC04589.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 333
  • DSC04591.JPG
    DSC04591.JPG
    746.4 KB · Views: 322
  • DSC04601.JPG
    DSC04601.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 595
Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back