SHOWOFF Thread : ESB 'stunt' E-11 blaster replica!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Stormtrooper, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Well-Known Member

***EDIT Interest thread moved to the Junkyard - this thread is intended only to show off my hard work :) EDIT***

As some of you may know I am fortunate enough to have a screen-used ESB resin 'stunt' Stormtrooper blaster in my collection :)
    The original is a single-piece resin cast of a Sterling smg with various greeblies stuck on here and there, and was used in ESB by some 'background' Stormtroopers, all the Snowtroopers and even IG-88.

This is arguably the rarest type of stormtrooper blaster as it has never been displayed at Magic of Myth, Art of Star Wars etc, nor has it been pictured in The Star Wars Chronicles, Lucasfilm Archives book etc. etc.

The finish on the original prop is pretty rough in places (it was intended for background shots after all) with deep grooves and coarse file-marks over much of the blaster's body... The fact that there are file-marks on the original prop means that I.L.M. must have created a 'master buck' from the mould of a Sterling which in turn was reshaped and had the pieces added onto, from which a second mould was created which produced the final ESB 'stunt' resin blasters :)
    After much consideration, I've decided that the replicas should closely mirror the finish of the original prop... warts 'n' all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The finish is brush-painted matte black (as per the original, although the camera flash in the pic below is deceiving) and the sight is fitted with accurate textured clear plastic discs as per the original.
    This has taken several months and a helluva lot of £££'s to put together, but I'm pretty * pleased with how it's turned out :)

Oh, and here's a pic of 'The Daddy' ;)

[​IMG]

Here's a cool publicity pic from ESB of stormtroopers arresting Leia with an ESB 'stunt' blaster... just like the one that these replicas are cast from :D

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    J.B.
    john@manicminer.plus.com

BTW the watermark on the images is of my old RPF name 'Pugman'

[edits by synasp: just some wording... move along, move along]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  2. Stormtrooper

Comments, anyone?

J.B.

3. Ghost Host

Ghost Host Sr Member

I like it. I find may things odd about it. The greeblies are strange, but this is kinda like the Rosetta Stone for the trooper blasters. I can see where all the crap came from on the ROTJ blaster. Interesting to see a kind-of cross of the 2 types of E-11 I've become familiar with. Thank you for coming forward with it. :)

4. STEVE THE SWEDE

STEVE THE SWEDE Sr Member

Awesome. You've done a great job on this. This is without doubt my favourite "Sterling" version. This sucker beats the crap out of that corny ILM special edition cast that used to float around.

Fantastic.

Steve.

5. glim999

glim999 Sr Member

Absolutely beautiful :) By far, my favorite version of the E-11

6. RKW

RKW Sr Member

Well it goes a long way into explaining why Stormtroopers couldn't hit the broadside of a barn door.

I don't think you would see very much if you could actually look through that scope :D

7. well paid killer

well paid killer Well-Known Member

Excellent piece......

8. gonk27

gonk27 Sr Member

Niiiiice JB, nice. B)

Jeremy

9. deralis

deralis Well-Known Member

Wow your blaster touched Leias * :p

ecl likes this.
  10. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I hope you don't mind me mentioning some discoveries about this blaster:

OdiWan72 told me he had identified the long piece under the cocking slot as originally being from the 1976 Revell F4E Phantom II 1:32 scale model kit. :thumbsup
    Parts from that same kit was used for the ESB Bespin gun and ESB DH-17.

I was comparing this one with another pic of a cast: here. I notice that some details have been more filled-in on Stormtrooper's blaster and the other one has different-sized screws holding the left side details while the screws on Stormtrooper's blaster are of equal size. Also, the greeblie behind the scope on IG-88's blaster seen in the Visual Dictionary is even blockier - does not match either of the two previous.
    That makes me think that there must have been (at least) three molds - three different variations .. or is there something I could have missed about the casting process? :$

11. Stormtrooper

Obviously that pic is of an unfinished ESB 'stunt' blaster so it's possible some of it would be different to the movie-used ones anyways... also no trigger-guard on it... I wonder was it broken off this raw casting, or was the gun originally planned to have no trigger-guard?

The firm which moulded the original did a bit of minor repair work to the mould, as the 'pincers' of the front greeblie were damaged at some stage (preseumably during filming as it had been painted over) and when they restored the greeblie on the mould they replaced the screw head with one which was symmetrical and the same size as the one on the back greeblie.
    So it's 99% accurate, not 100% but looks a helluva lot better IMO, and I didn't want to produce replicas with broken pieces on them :)

As for the 'blockier' greeblie behind the scope on IG-88's blaster... I think this is more likely dueto differences in how the replicas were 'finished' by I.L.M.
    As mentioned previously the original blaster has heavy 'file' marks all over it so it seems that the originals were cast in resin and then roughly shaped with wood-files. :confused
    I've made sure that these marks were retained in the mould and therefore appear on the replica :D

oh and deralis... not sure if that's the particular blaster that I have, that's being prodded at Leia's chest in the pic above... it *is* possible it's the same one I suppose. :)

Cheers,
    John
    john@manicminer.plus.com

12. voice in the crowd

voice in the crowd Sr Member

Hi John,

This is a beautiful piece thanks for sharing. It's not very often something screen used and so rare turns up. Has this been shown off before or shown somewhere else and I missed it before as I am surprised in the lack of excitement this thread seems to have received.

I have never owned a resin blaster I have a Sterling which I am happy enough with for display :) so I have a question (I know it may be a naive question especially to all the resin blaster gurus) anyway what kind of weight are you talking about for this blaster?

Also are there any plans in the works to make a light weight rubber version of this? (you know one I can drop and not worry too much about when trooping).

Any response would be appreciated.

Cheers Chris.

13. Stormtrooper

Thanks for the compliments Chris... I'm VERY pleased with how it turned out, myself... definitely worth all the effort (and expense.) IMO :D

The original prop blaster *was* shown off before, when I first accquired the ROTJ costume and blaster together, so I guess it's 'old news' for some. :unsure

I have no plans to produce them in hyperfirm rubber at the moment as I'm more interested in replicating the original prop as closely as possible... including the material it's made from...

Here's a couple of pics of the moulds in all their glory, and the very first replica to be produced from them... with the oriignal ESB 'stunt' blaster wrapped in bubble-wrap in the foreground :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm really pleased with the job that the mouldmaking / casting company did with this project. The moulds are almost a work-of-art themselves. ;)

Cheers,
    John
    john@manicminer.plus.com

14. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

i didnt see an iterest thread in thy JY... :(

those kick *...

cough.. pm...cough...

15. Stormtrooper

PM sent, dude.... and you really should get that cough seen to... sounds nasty. :lol

Cheers,
    John

16. voice in the crowd

Hi John,

Sorry to trouble you again but what is the weight of this resin blaster?

Any reply would be much appreciated.

Cheers Chris.

17. Stormtrooper

No trouble at all mate....

The weight of the first replica blaster is 1.24 Kg (or 2 lbs, 11 3/4 oz.)
    My bendy mannequin holds it just fine although I had to bend him further back at the waist to compensate...

This first production blasters will be alil' bit lighter as I've asked the company to use resin which more closely matches the raw casting shown above by Darth Lars (which is lighter weight)

Cheers,
    John
    john@manicminer.plus.com

18. tk5378

tk5378 Well-Known Member

Can I get a PM on details for acquiring one of these lovely blasters?

19. Stormtrooper

PM sent :)

Please folks, remember this is a show-off thread only. If you'd like to discuss availabilty then check out the Interest Thread elsewhere :)

Cheers,
    John

*** Edited for spelling... D'Oh. ****

20. Stormtrooper

Here are a couple of interesting pics showing a closeup of the trigger area on the original prop.

[​IMG]

The area in behind the trigger is filled in preseumably to add strength or reduce trimming time on the original props.
    Note the massive paint-run on the side of the folding stock above the trigger :eek
    I've done a bit of *minor* cleanup on the moulds, to reduce the worst of these bad paint runs, but areas of the original casting such as the file-marks, gouges etc. are still retained in the replicas :D

Here's an interesting pic of a Rebel resin blaster on display at Planet Hollywood in Orlando which shows it to have a similar filled-in trigger design :)

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    John
    john@manicminer.plus.com

21. RKW

RKW Sr Member

That kind of talk tends to send shivers down my spine ;)

But I think it's good that you've removed those major paint runs as no two guns would be painted the same.

I would imagine that the trigger would have snapped off if they hadn't filled in the area behind but it makes more sense for trimming purposes.

22. Stormtrooper

Precisely... I wanted the replica to look just like the original ESB 'stunt' blasters did back in '79.... *before* they slapped half a gallon of black paint on 'em. :lol

All the file-marks and grooves are still there for the purists :D

[​IMG]

And there's still a paint-run or two (moulded from the original) that I couldn't have removed without damaging the faithfullness of the replica...

[​IMG]

The only minor paint-runs which were removed were from flat surfaces (like the side of the folding-stock) wheer no other details would be removed in the process :)

Cheers,
    John
    john@manicminer.plus.com

23. voice in the crowd

Hi John,

Just out of interest have any other ESB style blasters turned up in the past at auctions or in private collections?

If they have turned up in auctions any idea what an original went for?

And just another quick question which is a bit off topic from your ESB blaster (sorry) have any blasters been up for auction from the the other movies in the original trilogy?

Again if so any idea what price they went for?

Cheers Chris.

24. lambotour

lambotour Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey John,

Lookin real nice. BTW any reason you just didn't go with a black resin to save you the trouble of painting it. Keep them pics a comin. :D

25. troopermaster

troopermaster Well-Known Member

Hey Chris,

Check out this thread

It's an original sterling use in ANH,but reconditioned with new scope,counter and the likes.Up for auction soon too I believe :p

-Paul.

26. RKW

RKW Sr Member

Reminds me of Trigger and his original broom that had loyal service for 15yrs :D

27. Stormtrooper

Good question... I considered the possibility of using black-coloured resin, but I wanted the replica to be as close to the construction and appearance of the originals, as possible...

I even sent a pic of the unpainted ESB 'stunt' blaster casting (which Darth Lars posted a link to), to the firm doing the casting so they could use a resin that's the same colour to the originals...
    It took an fair while to brush-paint (again for accuracy) but I'm very pleased with how it's turned out :)

Cheers,
    John

28. voice in the crowd

Thanks Paul :) Wonder what it will go for? Considering it has been tinkered with so much.

John's ESB is the real deal 100% the same as the day it was used no tinkering at all.

You must think John's is worth more but auctions are a funny thing. No doubt it will end up hanging in some rich kids toilet never to be seen again :lol

Is it up for auction at Christies the same day as 'move along' and 'stop that ship' stormy helmets (Dec 14th I think). I had spoken to Christies about going to London to view the items and get photos etc and they seemed cool about that which I was surprised at but I just can't get the time off work to get down to see them :( .

Sorry for going off topic John

Cheers Chris.

29. motman241

motman241 Well-Known Member

Maybe this has all been discussed before.....
    Is this supposed to be a cross between a Sterling and an MGC?

Were there hero blasters that had the extra greeblies, too, or were the hero blasters just regular (firing) Sterlings?

I see a lot of blasters in ESB - half look like regular Sterlings, half look like MGCs. Was there a "standard-used" gun base for these, or was this maybe the crossover into the ROTJ MGC usage?

30. RKW

RKW Sr Member

Huh??

Are you saying then that the archive ones aren't painted at all or that the finish of Stormtrooper's original is not hand painted?

31. Darth Lars

There can still be paint runs..

What I want to know is... where are T*E's pictures.? ;)
    btw, what happened to T*E's post?

32. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

33. Stormtrooper

To answer your questions, the hero blasters in ESB didn't have the greeblies which are on the ESB Stunt. AFAIK the hero ESB blasters were similar to the (firing) sterlings used in ANH but without the Hengstler Box, wires and cylinders on top of the mag well.

I don't think MGC guns were used until ROTJ... more likely the ESB stunt was from a mould which was formed from a real sterling SMG with all the greeblies added-on. Then when the resin castings were produced, they were roughly filed to shape and brush-painted (messily)

...which brings me neatly to T*E's claims that the original ESB stunt's weren't brush painted.
    I have an original ESB Stunt blaster sitting on my desk as I type this... it is clearly brush painted. 'Nuff said B)

Cheers,
    John

34. Stormtrooper

BUMP for the weekend crowd :)

Cheers,
    John

35. motman241

motman241 Well-Known Member

Yeah, upon looking at several screen caps, there seem to be a few hero blasters which were maybe the hero ANH guns, and then a bunch of the stunt ones. The reason I said about the MGC, was because of the front of your stunt blaster. It looks way more like an MGC muzzle, than a Sterling. But it looks like they just took a round piece of something, drilled a hole in it, and put that into the muzzle of the "master" stunt. Curious why they did that.

36. voice in the crowd

I would think that because the stunt blasters were not for any kind of close ups they didn't need to have this detail on the blaster. I would think it was probably changed for ease of manufacture as this part may have been tricky to produce.

Cheers Chris.

37. Stormtrooper

I think you might have a point there, Chris...

Look at this pic of the front of the *original* ESB 'stunt' blaster :

[​IMG]

It's likely that the moulds were designed with the 'pour hole' at the end of the barrel, and after the resin had cured there would be a little bit of resin 'overflow' at the end of the pour hole which would require filing and sanding.

Perhaps they then decided that it would be quicker and easier to tidy up the castings if the end barrel detail was completely flat, instead of the relatively complex end of a Sterling SMG's barrel?
    Lazy sods. :lol

Cheers,
    John

PS - When I was discussing how the moulds would be cast from the original blaster with the mouldmaker, she pointed out that the front of the barrel was the likely location of the pour hole on the original moulds.
    I asked her why it couldn't have been at the *back* of the blaster, at the end-cap area... and it was explained to me that this would have resulted in a large air-pocket forming at the bottom of the blaster handle, because of the way it's angled backwards.
    In other words, with the pour-hole at the front of the blaster mould, the resin travels in the same direction as the angle of the blaster handle :thumbsup

Sorry if this is really boring but I'm the sort of person who fell asleep during Science lessons at school, and found this quite interesting. ;)

38. Stormtrooper

Here are a few comparison pics that show how close the replica is to the original...

Still amazes me just how rough-looking the originals were, but just like the trooper helmets I suppose they weren't intended for hands-on scrutiny - just a couple of seconds' screen-time with some stormtrooper actor holding one in the *background* of a shot

First pic is on the rear of the blaster, looking down on it from above - bit of a weird angle but it shows the file marks and rough areas which have been faithfully reproduced :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    John

39. eddie vader

eddie vader New Member

John,

That looks great. Do you have an idea of the finished weight?

E. Vader

40. Stormtrooper

Thanks. :)

I weighed one this afternoon on digital scales and the weight is:

2 lb. 4 & 3/4 oz. (Imperial) or 1,045 g. (Metric)

Cheers,
    John

41. vaderdarth

vaderdarth Master Member

Very cool piece Stormtrooper... :)

Dave

42. Ghost Host

Ghost Host Sr Member

I finally got to see one of these in person today and it is a really great piece.

43. HDPE

HDPE Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Stormtrooper @ Dec 2 2005, 07:37 PM) [snapback]1127013[/snapback]</div>
    To answer your questions, the hero blasters in ESB didn't have the greeblies which are on the ESB Stunt. AFAIK the hero ESB blasters were similar to the (firing) sterlings used in ANH but without the Hengstler Box, wires and cylinders on top of the mag well.

Cheers,
    John
    [/b][/quote]

Bump :)

Hey John,

how are you mate?

After 'studying' the hero blaster I found that at least one of the hero E-11 we see on screen has the front scope rail greeblie on.
    It is impossible to tell if the other greeblies are there on this particular blaster though.
    [attachmentid=10549]

44. Darth Lars

Whoa. I had not seen that before. Definitely something I will have to look for on the DVD tonight.
    From what I see in this pic, that front greeblie could just as well be the same one as the back greeblie on the stunt blasters.
    Note also that the grips are attached to the second vent holes from the front, leaving the first vent holes open.

45. Cry-Lo Ren

Cry-Lo Ren Active Member

Re: SHOWOFF Thread : ESB 'stunt' E-11 blaster replica!

Defiantly a old thread but does anyone know how many pugman personally made/sold before selling the mold to RS?

46. dcarty

dcarty Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow, has it been that long ago??!!! Man, how time flies. I got one of the original run. LOVE my Pugman Blaster :)

47. jkno

jkno Master Member

The cool thing is we see these "Pugman" stunt blasters in ROTJ too :)

ROTJ Pugman ESB E-11 blaster 01.jpg ROTJ Pugman ESB E-11 blaster 03.jpg ROTJ Pugman ESB E-11 blaster 02.jpg