Showoff : Custom Illuminated Base for Stormtrooper Mannequin

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Stormtrooper, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Well-Known Member

Well, since my first replica stormtrooper costume waaay back in '99 I've always thought it would be cool to have a Star Wars themed base for the mannequin to stand on.... better than a plain ole' chrome plate like you see on store mannequins.
    So my first homemade mannequin had an octagonal piece of plywood, which I covered in adhesive-backed black plastic, and added an Imperial Navy logo sticker to it.

But I thought my current set of Stormtrooper armour deserved something a lil' bit better, so a couple of months ago I headed to B&Q (UK version of Home Depot) and loaded up on wood, screws, mitre-saw, adhesive-backed plastic sheeting..... oh, and some 'Link Light' flourescent lights :D

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The mannequin is a rigid fibreglass one (as opposed to poseable) which I then modified extensively by cutting the arms in 2, and fibreglassing wire into the elbows to allow them to bend (vital when putting the stormtrooper bicep armour onto them, as the arms have to be straight to slide the bicep armour on) and cutting the feet to allow the thigh armour to slide on etc. etc.

[​IMG]

The base itself is made from a plywood base and lid (covered in adhesive-backed black plastic). The side panels are hardwood from which I cut out the windows with a holesaw and jigsaw. These were covered in more adhesive-backed plastic sheeting to minimise the amount of seams between the panels.... the front 3 panels are on one 'strip' of plastic, and the rear 3 panels are on another strip of plastic.
    I experimented with 6 strip-lights inside but found that the light was TOO BRIGHT, and just didn't look right... so I settled on 4 strip-lights instead.
    And then I added some orange and red gel lighting sheets to the back of these panels for the desired Carbon-Freezing-Chamber look :)
    Also added tracing paper to the back of these sheets, to help diffuse the light, and to ensure that you can't see the lights and components inside the base by looking inside the windows ;)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A spray-can of car Dashboard Shine adds the finishing touch :love

[​IMG]

The hands are re-used from my old homemade mannequin.... basically wooden bodies with wire coathanger fingers covered in garden hose and bits of foam 'n' duct-tape.... super-poseable and strong enough to hold a valuable 27 year-old resin blaster :)

The costume is now back at my friend's office / showroom where it is safely protected by commercial insurance.... and I'm once again left with a replica Stormtrooper suit with a plain jane mannequin. :lol

Oh, and happy 1000th post to me. Woo-hoo .. It may have taken me 6 years but I finally got there. :cheers

Cheers,
    John

2. HDPE

HDPE Well-Known Member

That's a pretty cool idea.

The mannequin definitely has a Bespin pose.

I'd love to see it without the armor on.

BTW John, what's a ROTJ trooper doing on Bespin ;)

3. well paid killer

well paid killer Well-Known Member

Thats great man, I love the look of it. I think an Endor Moon base would have been a little less cool but might have made more sense with the ROTJ armor. :p Either way your work paid off, this base looks outstanding...

4. blufive

blufive Sr Member

Very nice.

I dig it.

:)

5. Bountyhunter Niko

Bountyhunter Niko Well-Known Member

Looks great. IÂ’m starting to think about bases for my troopers. Thanx for the kick up the backside.

Niko

6. gonk27

gonk27 Sr Member

That looks fantastic John really effective, it sets your trooper off perfectly. I think I might try something similar for my R2.

I suppose you could even use the same principle to make a two or three-tiered base, each level slightly smaller than the one below for Carbon-Freezing Chamber step effect. (Although it would take up more space).

I've never seen that adhesive plastic in my B&Q it looks like darned useful stuff.

Now build some walls and add some ceiling greeblies.. (you know you want to.) :D

Jeremy

7. allosaur176

allosaur176 Sr Member

That is pretty great man...... :thumbsup

8. rileyreplicas

rileyreplicas Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Man, that is awesome. Now all you need is to add a small fog machine inside of it and have it puff out some smoke :) Very nice base.

9. _Lee_

_Lee_ Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow :eek That looks great John.It really makes it stand out.

Ive just sent you a PM about something mate ;)

Cheers

Lee

10. rmschneider104

rmschneider104 Sr Member

Lookin' good. Sweet lighted base.

11. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

12. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

I love it. :thumbsup

13. Stormtrooper

Thanks for the kind words everyone... I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out myself, though I'm probably not quite ready for a full 1:1 replica of the Carbon Chamber Elstree set just yet. :lol

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HDPE STORMY @ Apr 30 2006, 12:15 PM) [snapback]1235830[/snapback]</div>
    Here you go, Anthony.... before and after the modifications.

[​IMG]

I had to shorten the right forearm, as it was way too long after I added the wire to the elbows (you can see where a bit of newspaper has stuck to the fibreglass resin.)
    I cut the mannequin's feet *after* this pic... basically each foot is now in 2 parts, with a block of wood inside for each part to screw to.

Jeremy - the adhesive-backed plastic is made by a firm called Fablon, and B&Q have a whole range of different colours like silver, wood-effect etc. pretty cool stuff. If you're looking for some and have difficulty shoot me a PM mate :)

As for the whole 'What's a ROTJ Stormtrooper doing in Cloud City?' argument... hhmmmm.... well Vader *did* threaten to leave a garrison behind in Cloud City in ESB.... maybe he did just that?. Or maybe I need to start looking for an original ESB Stormtrooper suit, now? :p

Here's a couple more 'work in progress' pics... if anyone has any questions about making soimething similar don't hesitate to ask.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    John

14. HDPE

HDPE Well-Known Member

Cool :thumbsup ,

Is that "number 1" he's holding in the right pic :love ?

Would it be strong enough to hold an all metal E11?

I was thinking about doing something similar for my ROTJ trooper.

A

15. Lord Abaddon

Lord Abaddon Sr Member

Very cool. Looks right out of the movie in both the pose and lighting style. Well done.

16. lambotour

lambotour Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very cool John. Thanks for the pics and the tutorial :)

17. gonk27

gonk27 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stormtrooper @ Apr 30 2006, 03:53 PM) [snapback]1235915[/snapback]</div>

Thanks John, Ah the name Fablon rings a bell I think.

I'll go hunting next time I'm in B&Q. If I come up dry I'll be in touch, thanks mate.

Jeremy

18. imaginager

imaginager Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey, now that's a base. Excellent work and nice tutorial.

Allan

19. Star Wars Helmets

Star Wars Helmets Sr Member

John,

SUPERB looking display mate, absolutely superb

Cheers

Jez

20. Howard

Howard Sr Member

Pure class - so much better than the thin metal base seen on so many mannequins.

Howard.

21. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

One of the coolest bases I've seen.. The Carbon Chamber was my first choice for display room theme, but proved to be cost prohibitive with all the floor design.

The mannequin mods are EXTREMELY helpful to me since I'll be doing this same procedure with what looks like the same mannequin very soon.

Steve

22. voice in the crowd

voice in the crowd Sr Member

That looks great John. What an incredibly effective idea.

I kind of get the feeling we will be seeing a few more bases like this in the future :)

Great work :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Cheers Chris.

23. troopermaster

troopermaster Well-Known Member

That looks fantastic John,well done mate.

You have really captured the ESB carbon freezing chamber look,it's awesome.Your ROTJ suit doesn't look out of place either.If you check your ESB DVD when Vader says 'put him in' in the freezing chamber scene,the trooper that gets knocked by Chewie is just like yours with the white edging trim and same shoulder straps velcro'd on ;) Check it out.

Top job fella.

-Paul.

24. TomSpinaDesigns

TomSpinaDesigns Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks great John.

(though the trooper is clearly innacurate. ;) )

wonderful display.
    Tom

25. hydin

hydin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

awesome......

if you ever do a vader mannequin, that would be a terrific base as well.

original, and one hell of a display to show off a cool costume. big :thumbsup

chris

26. HDPE

HDPE Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(troopermaster @ Apr 30 2006, 07:48 PM) [snapback]1236024[/snapback]</div>

Yeah I noticed about that guy when he rushes to Chewie, helmet looks different though.

27. Darth Brass

Darth Brass Sr Member

Very very cool.

28. RKW

RKW Sr Member

That's an imaginative idea for a base.

But I hope you've checked that the heat generated by those lights isn't enough to cause the tracing paper to combust :eek

29. Stormtrooper

Glad everyone likes it.

Hydin - If I ever do a Vader mannequin I'll build a matching base with no gel sheeting in the windows... just tracing paper for a *white panel* effect... during it's construction I tried it without the orange/red gel sheets and it looked pretty * good :thumbsup

HDPE Stormy - No, it's not #1 he's holding in that pic... if memory serves me correct it's #10 (which is currently en-route to it's new owner in the States ;))
    I think the wire-frame hands *would* be strong enough to hold a metal E11, but I reckon that the wire at the elbows would bend, and the forearms would probably sag down :unsure

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RKW @ Apr 30 2006, 10:35 PM) [snapback]1236081[/snapback]</div>
    The flourescent lights are rated at 6 Watts each, and although they produce a lot of light they don't run all that hot... if you look at the pic of the inside of the base I placed them a fair bit away from the windows anyways...

Cheers,
    John

30. Lukes Roommate

Lukes Roommate Well-Known Member

DANG.
    You beat me to that idea...
    Awesome job.
    And I'm glad to see it looks as cool as I had hoped.

I plan on doing the base with the lit panels facing up.
    Motivation....rising....RISING....

31. RoCKo

RoCKo Sr Member

that looks fantastic, john.
    and the best thing about it.... it is the same mannequin i use for my sandtrooper... :rolleyes
    i will follow your advice and give my sandtrooper a better pose.
    thanks for sharing... :thumbsup

32. Emperor Turpentine

Emperor Turpentine Well-Known Member

That's fantastic John.
    Reminds me of the Vader display they had at the Art of Star Wars exhibition.

Well done :)

33. recoil

recoil New Member

Great idea. will have to remember this if i ever get around to building up my prop room.

34. Darksaber212

Darksaber212 Well-Known Member

Coolness. B) :thumbsup

35. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Best trooper display base we've ever seen John. :thumbsup :thumbsup

36. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Too cool for words........

I have that same mannequin. Since the arms are hollow, how exactly did you get the wires to stay at the elbows? Any pics of how you did the feet? I cut mine mid-foot and I can BARELY get the boots on him, much less get them off again.

37. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

Very cool.. :thumbsup :thumbsup

38. Stormy320

Stormy320 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey - that is too cool and well executed.

Nice job.

39. Prometheus

Prometheus Well-Known Member

ohhh.. very nice..
    Now you need vader and boba on the same kind of platform

40. lambotour

lambotour Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stormtrooper @ May 1 2006, 02:01 PM) [snapback]1236436[/snapback]</div>
    And a happy owner he is. ;)

41. swampbug

swampbug New Member

I definately think it would have been more interesting if you had some light pointing up at the trooper, giving a orange glow to the edges of the armor.

42. Soundwave

Soundwave Sr Member

Very impressive, I think it looks awesome and compliments the armour well.

43. Stormtrooper

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clutch @ May 2 2006, 02:08 AM) [snapback]1236685[/snapback]</div>
    I cut about 3" out of each arm where the mannequin's elbows were.... I used wire coathangers for the flexible elbows... didn't unravel them... just pulled them out into a long rectangle and jammed one end up the hollow biceps, and the other end down the hollow forearms, so basically there's a double length holding each arm together. I then laid some glassfibre matt (saturated with glassfibre resin) between the inside wall of the arms and the wire, and also over the top of the wire, so it sealed it tight against the wall of the arms. Then when it had set I filled the elbow 'void' with bubble wrap and foam, finished off with some duct-tape to hold it all together and give it a natural shape.
    Unfortunately I didn't take any pics at this stage, as I was getting 'near the end' and was too impatiennt to take time out for photographs. :p

As for the feet... I noticed early on that the mannequin didn't lean foward on it's toes when standing on the base (with the steel support through the heel of it's right foot) so I decided to amputate the toes altogether.
    So the feet are really just 3/4 feet which I then made 2-part with the blocks of wood inside and the screws etc. etc. Hasn't affected it's stability at all, and makes it less stressfull putting on, and taking off the boots.
    Again I haven't any pics of this stage, but hopefully you understand what I mean :)

I've had a few PM's asking if the rear of the base has lighted panels as well, and asking for pics of the rear of the costume. Yes, the base has 6 lighted panels... one on each side, with the rear 3 sides being a mirror image of the front 3 (although the back centre panel has a small hole for the electrical cable)
    Unfortunately the mannequin and costume is currently at my friend's office / showroom, and the nature of his businesss means I can't take pics... Sorry :unsure

Cheers,
    John

44. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Thanks John. Sounds like I need to get cutting again. :)

45. LDR

LDR Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

John, it looks great.

A few more questions.

Where did you get the mannequin, its a great pose, and i am currently looking for one in the UK.

Perhaps you could do a little tutorial on how to make the stand, i know i would love to try and make one myself. Do the lights just plug into the mains? Also how much did the mannequin and stand cost?

Looks great

Thanks

Lewis

oh any pics of the hands without gloves.

Thanks

46. WebChief

WebChief Sr Member

Very well done. I've always loved the Carbon Chamber theme for a display.

Very well done. I've always loved the Carbon Chamber theme for a display.

47. Propazoid

Propazoid Well-Known Member

Awesome work John.

-Zoid

48. BATS

BATS Well-Known Member

now that has to be the most simple way to display your trooper, yet
    in just that effort you have created an impactful display

absolutelly bitchen

I need to follow your example when I do up for display
    our 2 troopers and darth in the middle

very very well done

thank you for sharing

49. Stormtrooper

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LDR @ May 3 2006, 02:37 PM) [snapback]1237556[/snapback]</div>
    I bought the mannequin off eBay about 18 months ago... don't remember the seller but the cost was about £85 I think?
    I'll see if I can throw together some tips about how to make the base, but I don't think I have enough pics to do a full-blown tutorial :unsure

The lights were about £14 each from B&Q... they 'daisy chain' together, with the end light connecting directly to the mains so no ugly mains transformer is needed :thumbsup There's a large range of different link-lights in B&Q, but I chose a style which has a built-in diffuser-lense over the flourescent light strip, so there's less chances of getting 'hot spots' - ie. the light is evenly distributed... and I painted the inside of the base with gloss white to maximise the light reflection :)

Cheers,
    John