Short peak into new ILM book "Sculpting a galaxy"

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by Ewok, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Ewok

Ewok Active Member

Havn't seen any updates for quite a while. Not much to see....but makes me want to see more. Always cool to see Phil moving the walkers. Would love to see the gimmicks of the $300 version.

Insighteditions - Sculpting a Galaxy

2. Cirielle

Cirielle Active Member

I guess I was expecting a lot more...

I mean the prices of this series really makes me feel that it should have tons. I hope to see a better preview soon...

Otherwise it is a big pass for me.

3. 12Rogues

12Rogues Well-Known Member

I'm waiting to see reviews of the entire book and the other included goodies.

It's too pricey to make a pre-order leap of faith.

I do have my fingers crossed that it's mostly OT stuff, but I am realistic as well.

Thanks for the link.

4. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Sill can't wait.

5. clancampbell

clancampbell Sr Member

Like everyone else here, i've seen all these pics before....i hope it's not an indication of the rest of the book....
    Rich

6. bwise

bwise New Member

Hey everyone,

I saw Lorne Peterson and galleys for the first 3 chapters of his book today at the Marin County Fair Models and Creatures exhibit. It looks like it'll be a nice book with some new pictures of our favorite ships. Certainly not a here's every model from every angle sort of approach but nice. Chapter one was ships, chapter two was sculpts of robots characters like grevious and vader and chapter three was environments planets large model sets and the like.

There was some info and prototypes for the deluxe edition goodies as well. Looked like a model of luke's landspeeder from episode IV and some modular death star surface panels. Still not clear on the falcon part though, it said something about embossed falcon detail on cover but I didn't see any "build your own falcon" stuff.

7. bcgd

bcgd Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(12Rogues @ Jun 28 2006, 06:23 PM) [snapback]1270380[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah I agree. Although I have the deluxe "Dressing A Galaxy " book I'd like to see more. I would really like to see more behind the scenes and WIP photos but let's face it I don't know how they can do it without rehashing the "Chronicles" stuff. Maybe they have a cache of unseen photos. I just hope that half the book isn't going to be a bunch of boring prequel wireframe progression shots.

Actually I'd like to read about how they did it. I've seen the photos. The raids on the local hobby shops and buying up the entire inventory or the all-nighters. You know the fun stuff when they had no clue to the fact that they were making history. I've seen the photos, tell me something I don't know.

Oh, and I'll probably end up buying the Deluxe one anyway cause I'm stupid like that. :rolleyes

8. Hangar18Studios

Hangar18Studios Well-Known Member

What is considered a reasonable pre-order price, and from whom? Amazon?
    Scott

9. bcgd

bcgd Well-Known Member

Has anyone been to the "Sculpting A Galaxy" site lately? It looks like they've added inside shots and as suspected some are from "Chronicles".

http://insighteditions.com/ebooks/galaxy/

The one of Lorne Petersen is cool and the shot of the speeder with the Steve Austin doll as Obi--Wan always cracks me up.

10. Ewok

Ewok Active Member

Wow. Nice update. Havn't seen these pictures before. I must say.....love'em :p Except for the 3 pics on the left of the first page....yep you're right....they are from the chronicles. Hmmmm.....hope they don't copy more to fill the holes. The answers will be....revealed.

11. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

I'll be a bit disappointed if that was the only OT stuff they had in the book, I mean only 16 pages in and they start with the new stuff, that kind of sucks.

Curious to see more updates.

Lynn

12. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The book was at the Sideshow booth (uncorrected page proofs of the first chapter, plus the "extras" you get with the deluxe edition).. and there was a panel with the author.

The big deal with the expensive edition is that you get some replica models with it... the little landspeeder that was used in the original movie, and which Lucas gave to the head of Toho Studios in japan as a gift at one point. This plus some little Death Star surface panels.

Also included in the deluxe set is a DVD with hundreds of "never before seen" shots taken by Lorne Peterson back when ANH and ESB were being made. This stuff was in his private files and not part of Lucasfilm, so nobody's ever seen them or so he says. Among the shots are some early photos of X-wing miniatures painted with BLUE stripes (ie "Blue Five standing by), but that was changed due to problems with the bluescreen photography.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- K

13. bcgd

bcgd Well-Known Member

* IT... Ok, I'm in.

14. mktodd

mktodd Well-Known Member

I had the deluxe set on pre-order. I think I'm going to cancel it and just get the regular editon. The "models" are certainly not worth $250 extra and I doubt the DVD will makle up for the difference. Once the dvd is out, the pics will enevitably make there way online. I'd rather wait and see if they are worth that much extra. Even then, it's not justifiable to spend near on $300 bucks for a $50 book, some knock off, dubious looking models and a DVD, however nice the dvd may be.....

disapointing to say the least....

15. Hangar18Studios

Hangar18Studios Well-Known Member

Where's a good place to preorder the book from?
    Scott

16. 12Rogues

12Rogues Well-Known Member

Wow I wasn't expecting much, but that looks like junk. Those DS panels look vacu-formed and soft on detail.

I hope the book is good. :(

17. bcgd

bcgd Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Hangar18Studios @ Jul 24 2006, 05:05 PM) [snapback]1286959[/snapback]</div>
    Amazon has it for pre-order

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/193378410...1540145?ie=UTF8

but I know things were dicey ordering the deluxe "Dressing A Galaxy" book. I got mine from the FIDM exhibit. Other got theirs from Outpost.com.

18. Beagle Bill

Beagle Bill Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(bcgd @ Jul 20 2006, 08:48 AM) [snapback]1284372[/snapback]</div>
    I always laughed about that too, looks like the speeder that comes with the book is no bigger than 3-4 inches. :( I hope I'm wrong, but if that's the case there's no way it's worth what they're asking.

19. phase pistol

No that's about right... you can see the models in a translucent box, and behind it are some 8.5 x 11 in. sheets of paper.

- k

20. Ewok

Ewok Active Member

Well,.... the gimmicks are kinda....uhmm...lets say...crappy? The DS panels really look like ....far, far away....from anything that might be possible for the amount of money they are asking for. They even look like resculpted pieces....especially made for this release. Somebody said they are from originals?
    The speeder doesn't look too bad......but hey.....I could give my old Kenner landspeeder a new paintjob and put it up on display. I love the idea behind those "special collectors editions"..... but they should have something really "special to it. Particularly with regard to such a fortune.
    Hmmmm......they should include the DVD within the regular version. Guess I don't want to waste money and room for a bunch of plastic like these. What a pity. But a nice try..... :p

21. bcgd

bcgd Well-Known Member

Ok, so I was listening to a replay of Lorne Peterson's presentation on the book at ComiCon and here's the condensed version of the story about the speeder.

The speeder is actually a replica of a tiny one that was made for episode iv that was used in the scene where the tuskens take aim as Luke and 3po are looking for R2. He said since it was so small and shot at a distance that a lot of work did not go into it. In fact the engines were made from sharpie caps. He always like that model and it was given away so he rebuilt it (with sharpie caps) and thought it would be cool to include it with the figures. Everyone likes things to be "screen accurate" so there you are. One that's as crappy as the original.

As for the panels, well those are just crap.

22. JP05

JP05 Well-Known Member

Not only did Lorne build the speeder for the book, he also built the Death Star panels that will be included. My friend and I spoke with Lorne for about 2 hours at Comic Con. The dvd will contain a lot of photos from his personal collection (he was the only person taking stills during the making of SW) will be in the DVD.

23. phase pistol

So what's the deal with the landspeeder you get with the book? Is each one handmade with Sharpie caps? Or did Lorne make one, and they've mass-produced em?

- k

24. JP05

JP05 Well-Known Member

Made one.

25. bcgd

bcgd Well-Known Member

He made the speeder and figs the same as the original he made 30 years ago and then they mades casts of it.

26. Qrest Fourstar

Qrest Fourstar Sr Member

I wanted the deluxe, but Im not thrilled about the extras either. The DVD sounds interesting, but I'm mainly after undersid pics of the 5 footer before the ESB upgrade.

27. casey

casey New Member

those death star pieces being soft on detail is probably close to what they actually looked like. those pieces on toysrgus dont look THAT much more detailed. id like to see a better picture of them.

28. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(bcgd @ Jul 30 2006, 10:00 PM) [snapback]1290963[/snapback]</div>
    How big is it?

Lynn

29. bcgd

bcgd Well-Known Member

From the looks of it I would say about 6-7".

30. rmschneider104

rmschneider104 Sr Member

I was originally thinking that I wanted the Deluxe version, but after hearing about the inserts, I think I'm going to save a few hundred dollars and just get the regular version.

31. animek

animek New Member

Wow. The price had raise, lucky me, I did reserve one before gas price went up. :confused

32. Ewok

Ewok Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>(casey @ Aug 13 2006, 04:33 AM) [snapback]1299335[/snapback]</div>

well,...if you ask me.....it would be cooler to have these cast of originals with the same material they originally used (extruded foam) and paint them in the exact same color they used during production. Would make a nice *as close as you can get* display. Why resculpting? Can't see the point of trying to match the look of the originals and didn't even come close to it.....except for the general shape of course.