Shiny gold for a golden snitch

Bengrim09

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I really need some advise on some shiny gold paint for my golden snitches,

I have makes of fantastic shiny gold rattle can paint but the problem I’m having is when you touch them, over a small period of time the paint dulls, if I cover them with a clear lacquer it ruins the gold shine.
I’ve tried all 3 gold types and 2 types of clear coat, they all end up dull.

Im keeping in mind that these are being made for a child’s birthday party and I need them to be safe

I really need tried and tested ideas as I don’t want to be shopping around for different ideas that might not work

these are the paints and lacquers I’ve tried that are available in the U.K. shops
08785ED7-E766-4DCD-8E9F-DB001853276E.jpeg

this is the result after 1 coat of gold
65487718-36F9-4453-9333-5D5150EE2D84.jpeg

This is the result after they’ve dried and a layer of lacquer
DC69A212-975F-4F87-867B-5409E405F286.jpeg
A1A2BA49-91E2-42AA-A3ED-8D9B30E8284A.jpeg

Please if possible only tried and tested recommendations for U.K. products or Amazon U.K. only as these need to be finished in a week and I’ve 20 to do
Thanks in advance

Honestly, if it's for a kid's birthday party, I doubt they'd care if it stays shiny gold longer than it needs to. I'd just stick to the gold paint minus the lacquer.

If you want it to stay shiny, so chrome, you'll need to dip your toes into heavier applications with more heavy duty paints and clears.

Gordon Tarpley has some videos up on how he painted his C-3PO costumes on youtube. You could check them out.

For a kid's birthday party do not use gold leaf. It would be a waste. And you have to lacquer it - you don't want paint rubbing off on their fingers. Also, when using clear lacquer, try misting it on first, as the dulling is caused by the gold paint being reactivated by the lacquer - misting it on may prevent that reaction. Otherwise, it seems the Alclad clear coat is the best option to coat shiny metallic colors.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back