Sheriff Andy Taylor Screen Used and Screen Matched Badge

Sorry but i am confused, the black and white pics are not this badge is this correct?

This is def from the same mold as the color photos and to have a production made piece is worthy of congratulations indeed and I do congratulate you most heartily on your purchase with all sincerity but... you are saying its screen matched, I watched your video and you point out many similarities to show it it production made, yes,
as others have pointed out though there is zero chance that they only made one, that never ever happens. They would have made more 100%.

This is the Replica Prop Forum but it should be called the Screws or Rivets Forum.
You could only possibly be coming on here to ask people their opinions as others on here way more than me, spend years and years pouring over screen grabs, production stills, costume continuity photos, promo photos...
No-one is saying it's not a match in casting (an uncropped photo would be handy to help further confirmation)

My 2 cents... I think just as you have pointed out the thin paint on the left of the A shows correlation of your piece and the color screen grab in the 1st post you say it barely shows on the screen grab.
The E in mayberry shows no correlation to your own standards, the horizontal lines are thick and well defined on you badge and again barely showing on the screen grab.

No-one comes on here to just say please congratulate me and nothing more.

This is a community. We have lost friends though banning, we have lost friends through illness, we are the RPF.
Welcome aboard.

Last edited:
I don't know what badges these photos are of, but the lettering of the two is clearly different in quite a few ways. Overall the font of Mayberry on the right-hand badge is larger, in relation to the scroll the lettering appears on.

One curious difference can be seen in the Mayberry background scroll and in the triangle that the six-point star sits in: on the left badge these areas appear flat, on the right badge these areas appear concave. This, if true, suggests that the two badges might be two different castings from the same mould.

And as pointed out above in TV and Film there are always "multiples". What if, during shooting, Andy's badge fell off and went down a drain, or a car ran over it, or if it simply got lost? They would halt production so the prop department could make another one? That's not how it works.

BTW I met Andy Griffith once, I was shooting a Murder She Wrote episode on one soundstage and he was shooting a Matlock episode on another, and I chatted with him while we were both on break. He looked and sounded exactly like my Dad! (We're all from Appalachia.)

Last edited:
So I spent a little time trying to see of the badges in the pics were the same or at least from the same batch of production made badges. And there probably were a bunch of them made as some get lost, damaged, stolen, etc. Can't hold up production for a missing badge. The original Hawaii 5-0 made around 100 badges in two batches because of this knowledge.

Anyways, I tried very hard to overlay the two pics provided to see if they matched up. I know that the angles in the photos could not be exact, but I felt they were close enough to try. I didn't do any photo manipulation other than rotate and resize to align them best I could. At 50% opacity, this is what I got. You decide.

Screen Shot 2019-07-27 at 6.08.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-27 at 6.09.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-27 at 6.12.36 PM.png

Speak for yourself!!!:p:p:p;););)
I stand corrected :)

Raphael Argus I think you are overlaying the wrong badge, i know it's confusing but thats an example of one of the "black" painted ones that the OP has said that his piece is not, if you get me.
I would love to see better pics of the prop in question from more angles to see if it's curved too.

Yeah, I see that now. That part of the post wasn't clear to me as the pic of the two badges was posted a bit later in a different post and blue letters can look black in a black and white photo.

I think the OP is gone. I don’t think he got the response he thought he would get. He was 100% convinced in his interpretation, and I think he just expected a few praises and pats on his back and that would be it. I don’t think he appreciated us looking at things in a logical manner. :lol:

I think the OP is gone. I don’t think he got the response he thought he would get. He was 100% convinced in his interpretation, and I think he just expected a few praises and pats on his back and that would be it. I don’t think he appreciated us looking at things in a logical manner. :lol:
I'm not surprised. All of this posturing and how it had been proven and matched, and not willing to even recognize the possibility of the badge being a backup, I had a feeling he wouldn't be hanging around for very long.

When I see someone new, so hell-bent on proving something is screen used and “the only confirmed screen used in the world”, the “impending sale” alarm goes off. It is like they are setting up things for an upcoming auction and using the site as a means to get more confirmation. That way when they take it to auction, they can claim the collectors of the world unanimously agree that this is undeniably 100% screen used. I wouldn’t be shocked if we see this for sale in the next Profiles In History Auction, with 100% no doubt this is a screen match.

Well as we all know that badge would fit in nice at PIH.

I mean how many items have been pulled from Auction when they turn out to be fakes

When I see someone new, so hell-bent on proving something is screen used and “the only confirmed screen used in the world”, the “impending sale” alarm goes off. It is like they are setting up things for an upcoming auction and using the site as a means to get more confirmation. That way when they take it to auction, they can claim the collectors of the world unanimously agree that this is undeniably 100% screen used. I wouldn’t be shocked if we see this for sale in the next Profiles In History Auction, with 100% no doubt this is a screen match.
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.
This reminds me of the guy who knew that the plastic M1 rifle bayonet/scabbard he had from "Saving Private Ryan" was screen matched to the scene in the landing craft on the guy to the left of Jackson when he kisses his cross for the first time before the ramp goes down. He showed it to me in person, adamant that it was the only one of its type you can clearly make out in the movie. He said the molding lines and imperfections proved it -
- until I pulled out the one just like it I had from the movie, which had the exact same imperfections. They were from the original mold. He almost had a stroke, knowing that the value just dropped substantially for his item. He tried listing it on eBay anyway, but didn't get the bids he'd been hoping for. To this day, he won't look me in the eye when I encounter him at military collector shows...

This has been a very interesting and informative thread. It is fascinating to see the analysis and deductions that go into prop verification.
I have a friend who owns a piece of screen used memorabilia- it is the necklace worn buy several natives in different episodes of 'Gilligan's Island', most prominently in that episode where Gilligan has to marry the Chief's daughter. He bought it before the gold age of the internet,m but he bought it from a reputable dealer and it comes with a certificate of authenticity with provenance.
It looks lit too...

Pics or it didn’t happen! ;)

This has been a very interesting and informative thread. It is fascinating to see the analysis and deductions that go into prop verification.
I have a friend who owns a piece of screen used memorabilia- it is the necklace worn buy several natives in different episodes of 'Gilligan's Island', most prominently in that episode where Gilligan has to marry the Chief's daughter. He bought it before the gold age of the internet,m but he bought it from a reputable dealer and it comes with a certificate of authenticity with provenance.
It looks lit too...

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back