'Shawshank' rock hammer -

The closest I could find was a vintage Stanley Tack Hammer, which was 7 3/4 inches long and the head was 4 7/8 inches. The front of the hammer could be sanded down to be flatter. Here is a closeup with the tip of the hammer cut off to show what it would look like grinded down. And the tack part would have to be filled in as well, but the closest I have found (when it comes to the head shape and the handle-which can also be easily sanded down to look more screen accurate).

21ald8z.jpg

I'm working on a prototype hammer as we speak. The goal is to make this a project once I get the prototype finalized and figure out the exact size, shape and materials.

Look for a teaser pic in the next day or so :)

-Ss

Ok, a little more work on this. I think we have the actual shape of the bible cutout 99.9% figured out, so the next step is to nail down the exact shape and size of the rock hammer.

I've outlined the cutout in RED and the general shape of the hammer in GREEN.

Knowing that this screen cap isn't at a perfect angle I realize that we need to take it with a grain of salt, but it seems to me like the hammer wouldn't quite fit in the bible cutout as is. The hammer handle seems too fat at the bottom when scaled out. Thoughts?

rock_hammer_compare_1.jpgrock_hammer_compare_2.jpg

No I think size is correct, I think it's because of the point of view, so it looks slimmer, but if you have the book straight, it should be larger.
I made a template following the letters as they seem on the screen used picture of it, and it is actually kinda large, around 2.5cm on the bottom...

Ok, I've finally got the prototype done. Overall I'm happy with it, but I realize that it will need a bit of tweaking before finalizing it. I'm still not 100% sure about the thickness of the tang where it goes down between the handles. The prototype is 1/4" thick, I'm thinking it may be thinner?

Feedback welcome :D

Attachments

• Hammer_tang_3.jpg
    Hammer_tang_3.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 118
  • Hammer_tang_2.jpg
    Hammer_tang_2.jpg
    544.6 KB · Views: 114
  • Hammer_tang_1.jpg
    Hammer_tang_1.jpg
    510.5 KB · Views: 111
  • Hammer_handles_2.jpg
    Hammer_handles_2.jpg
    604.7 KB · Views: 113
  • Hammer_handles_1.jpg
    Hammer_handles_1.jpg
    558.4 KB · Views: 127
  • Hammer_assembled_4.jpg
    Hammer_assembled_4.jpg
    764.7 KB · Views: 128
  • Hammer_assembled_3.jpg
    Hammer_assembled_3.jpg
    748.7 KB · Views: 141
  • Hammer_assembled_2.jpg
    Hammer_assembled_2.jpg
    712 KB · Views: 100
  • Hammer_assembled_1a.jpg
    Hammer_assembled_1a.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 109
  • Hammer_assembled_1.jpg
    Hammer_assembled_1.jpg
    799.8 KB · Views: 148
I agree. 1/4 " seems too thick for such a slender handle. 1/8" steel woukd undoubtably be strong enough. In the photos the wood seems much thicker than the "tang."

Count me in for one if you do a run, and thanks for working through this!

I agree. 1/4 " seems too thick for such a slender handle. 1/8" steel woukd undoubtably be strong enough. In the photos the wood seems much thicker than the "tang."

Count me in for one if you do a run, and thanks for working through this!

Thanks for the reply, ahoudini. I think you're right, so the next question is, are the wood handles 1/4" or 3/16".

If they are 1/4" the hammer head would be 5/8" thick vs. 3/4"

One more shot of the prototype on my bible:

prototype_hammer_on_bible.jpg

-Ss

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back