Serenity... Firefly class transport ship project.

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by Ripstick, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Ripstick

Ripstick Well-Known Member

Firefly: A mid-bulk transport with a standard radion and accelerator core. 'Serenity' is an Aught Three, full class code being 03-k64-Firefly. There are 40,000 Firefly class vessels still in use.

[​IMG]

Anyone interested in building one?

With the recent release of this awesome sci-fi/western on DVD, I've gotten the bug to gather images and resources pertaining to this fantastic looking space vessel. Granted the ship was built almost entirely in CGI, but that doesn't mean one couldn't track down enough details to build one in studio scale... right?

I've acquired a few nice reference images, but would like to see if anyone else has additional details to help build this ship...
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Recently I've only watched the first three episodes since they first aired last year, but hopefully I'll be able to gleen more details of this ship from the rest of the DVD set. So far I've noticed at least two different sets of markings used on the bow. One appears to be a test-shot or pre-production image using a logo made up of oriental characters, and the another being a production shot showing classic pin-up girl art like those seen on the fuselage of World War II aircraft.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Any blueprinting experts or designers out there?

All in all I see this as being a rather challenging project -- but the payoff would be grand. [​IMG]

2. Jeeves

Jeeves Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You got my moral support, dude! If you ever get a kit together, I'm in for one.

Also, there's a thread on the Firefly on Starship Modeler, which you've probably seen. Sounds like there are a couple of guys who have started their own.

Good luck!
    -Raj

3. dr_slurpee

dr_slurpee Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Did this project go anywhere? I'd love to see someone make one.

4. Darth Brass

Darth Brass Sr Member

I would even love a small one, maybe 6" in length max, to have on the desk. Maybe rapid-prototype one off a CAD and cast/mold that badboy?

5. shrugger

shrugger Well-Known Member

6. Darth Brass

Darth Brass Sr Member

I just want a little one though - even 3" would be a good desk size. Like those SW Action Fleet size? Super sweet.

7. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

Alex Kung has my attention on this project..very nice so far. :thumbsup :thumbsup

8. Less than Super Ostrich

Less than Super Ostrich Well-Known Member

I'd love a Serenity... but make it BIG.

9. shrugger

I second that.
    I'm thinkin somewhere around 1/144. That would put it around 16"
    Plenty big for a complete and lighted interior/exterior B)

10. Less than Super Ostrich

THis guy has done a downloadable 3D mesh of the Serenity. DOes anyone have the capability to turn this into a scale model using this 3D mesh?

[​IMG]

11. corranhornjje

corranhornjje Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great idea for our SLA stereolithography folks to try on. Especially since it's always been a 3d model and not a practical model.

12. Stormleader

Stormleader Well-Known Member

Yes, they did do a SS model for the feature. It was used in the crash sequence.

13. Less than Super Ostrich

Does anyone know how much it would cost to contract out some firm to do a Serenity using Stereolithography from the 3D model download referenced above?

14. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

Many problems with what you are suggesting.

First is that wireframe models are nearly always full of open holes. And this beast is hard to find them things in. It takes an incredible amount of work to get fan made meshes to work for STL.

Second is to SLA a large model is EXPENSIVE. I guess several thousand dollars.

Third, you will be hard pressed to find a rapid prototyping firm that would do it without written permission from Univeral or whoever owns the intelectual property rights.

I do believe the model being made in the link above is using this mesh as a basis for his hand work. That really is the best approach.

And just an FYI. Sean, the gentleman who made this mesh, is doing it all over again on the Lightwave forums as a tutorial. You guys should really take a peek at what he is doing with that. His approach isn't too far off of what you need to do to build it for real.

15. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

16. Less than Super Ostrich

coby... thanks. i learned more from your post about stereolithography than i ever knew before. thanks much.

17. shrugger

18. synasp

synasp Sr Member

Wow, a 2 year bump. (Dec 22 2003 - Nov 10 2005) :lol

1/144 scale sounds great. I'm definitely interested in this project. What do you guys think the cost of a built-up, painted model would be? ~$800? Or would you prefer a cheaper kit?

19. Stormleader

Stormleader Well-Known Member

20. synasp

synasp Sr Member

I'm looking into making this, but would studio scale mean 9' long? :eek

16" sounds nice.

21. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

16" or under sounds great to me. One of these would look fantastic in my Firefly display. I'm all for it if its not too big.

22. shrugger

Wasn't the original clay model, and possibly the paper mockup, around 1/72?
    I'm just guesstimating that from a pair of plyers that happened to be in the pic

That however, might be on the big side. Even for me :eek

23. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

BIG is gooooooooood for this model.
    Get "Cardboard" (Scott) to do a detailed bridge interior and maybe a cargo bay and you'd have a really kewl Firefly named Serenity..
    I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

24. synasp

synasp Sr Member

since Studio Scale is massive, and it doesn't look like anyone is going to attempt that, a smaller version would be general modeling, so I've moved this thread.

25. Darth Brass

Darth Brass Sr Member

I know I keep saying this, but I'd be thrilled with an "ornament-sized" Serenity.

26. shrugger

From there to the VW sized one. Or Anywhere between, would cause me great joy
    :love

27. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

There's already a smaller model of the ship available. It's only 4.5" long, but still very nice to have on your desk.

28. dr_slurpee

Are you going to tell us where one could get it Nick? :p

29. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

:D sure thing, check on over at www.minimodelmadness.com its only $20. Its their best seller aparently

[​IMG]

I got a nice little model of Fhlosten Paradise from the Fifth Element a little while back on there too and there's plenty of other pretty cool ships from various things.

30. dr_slurpee

Well that I like...Any idea as to accuracy?

31. shrugger

Not very :(

32. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

No its not exactly the most accurate thing in the verse, but in the absence of any other alternatives it isnt half bad.

Quick comparison:

[​IMG][​IMG]

33. Sporkey

Sporkey Well-Known Member

those two pictures arent going to match up as there were two different versions of Serenity in Firefly. The model is based on the second version and the picture for reference is the first version, that being said, it still is not a very accurate model

34. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

So it is. Here's the version the model is based on:
    [​IMG]

Nobodies boasting accuracy on this model, but its a well made kit and a nice little thing to display as nobody else has tackled it.

35. synasp

synasp Sr Member

wow, that's..... not.. very detailed. :p I'm looking into making a 1/144 scale V2 Firefly kit. I'm unsure about how to kit really tiny details though (antennas, etc.)

How detailed of a 16" kit do people expect? I'm not too familiar with modeling standards.

36. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

:lol No it surely isnt very detailed :lol

I personally wouldnt be expecting every little antenna and near impossible minute detail on a 16" model, but a fair level of detail with all the outer panels that cover the ship visable would suit me down to the ground

37. Darth Brass

Darth Brass Sr Member

Any finished pics out there?

38. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

I'm sure most people have seen this from the Firefly special features, so here's just a little bump with a picture of what kind of thing I'd love to see come from the model if it gets made.

[​IMG]

39. burningman

burningman Well-Known Member

40. Darth Brass

Darth Brass Sr Member

Holy CRAP that's huge.

41. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

Amazing isnt it, it was spoken about on the first page. Mentioned by Shrugger.

42. shrugger

I hadn't seen that second pic though.
    Is that Nathan and Summer standing behind Serenity?

43. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

yeah, looks like he's tugging on it :lol

44. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

45. Locke5

Locke5 New Member

I'm thinking of sculpting one out of clay...although I know enoug about clay sculpting, I know nothing of casting and such. If I actually get it done, I might pass it on to someone else if they want to deal with it.

46. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

The officially licenced one they've just announced is really nice. Just placed my pre-order for it. So at least everyone wanting a more accurate small-scale one gets their wish.

Here's the link to pre-order for everyone who hasnt seen it yet:
    http://www3.tfaw.com/toys/profile.html?car...&DB=P&sku=13420

47. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

Thanks for that. I'll keep an eye out for it.

48. WookieeGunner

WookieeGunner Well-Known Member

From the Bill Taylor interview

"But the model makers arrived at a good scale. I went over there and talked to Grant when they were starting to build the model, and agreed on their estimation that a model about six feet long was just about right."

So it sounds like the Studio Scale was around 1/32 if I am doing my math right.

49. Darth Brass

Darth Brass Sr Member

50. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

:lol yeah I mentioned it a few posts up