Sensorbat. Turning a toy into a costume. please help!

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

galaxypeople

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I've been sculpting, designing resin and soft vinyl toys for a few years now, and have been trying to get my head around making a costume of one of my own designs.

Here is the design as a toy in it's 1/6 scale version. Ignore the henshin cyborg in the background, I didn't make those!
IMG_4524.jpgIMG_4521.jpgIMG_4520.jpgIMG_4519.jpg

I had a bash at making the head out of a mix of various materials (foam board, light paperclay, new fando, fibre glass/bondo). However, I just succeeded in making an over bulky mismatched mask that defies further detailing revisions. I've decided to start again, using Monster Clay over a plaster bust, and molding from that. It's my first time with Monster Clay, but I've heard it's probably closest to the way I way I want to sculpt.
IMG_4517.jpg

This time I really need a clearer action plan. The two huge questions that I need to address are:

1) what material should I use to making the final casts?

I gather Silicon, FRP or Latex at probably the only options as I am casting from molds? With the heavy ears and somewhat irregular shape (away from the features of my own face) I'm veering towards FRP. Is this the right choice?

2) How to get the mask of and on from my head. My plan with the first try was that front and back should separate.Would it be best to keep it as a one part helmet, but with a separate attachable neck?

I will try and finish the whole costume if possible, hopefully before mid-May if possible in time for Design Festa in Japan, but for now I'm focusing on the mask.

Any suggestions and advice really would be much appreciated. While I learned a lot screwing up the first attempt, it would be nice to get it right this time!

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.