Seeking Custom Vertical Lightsaber Display Stands-Luke thin necks

mgenovese312

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello!
I have been hesitant to make a post about this but I’m looking to see some options about the creation of a new vertical display stand. I’ve been on the hunt for a while and have searched all over Etsy, pintrest, facebook groups, etc and haven’t had much luck with the specific design I’m after.

My collection mainly consists of static hand painted thin neck replicas including multiple Luke Skywalker ROTJ variants. Nearly all of them came as bare aluminum kits that were commissioned and painted. Some are completely painted with the exception of the clamp and pommel. While there are display stands that can support a saber vertically. They always make contact higher on the hilt in the grip section. (Here a few examples, not my photos but were found publicly online)
IMG_4060.jpeg

IMG_4061.jpeg

IMG_4062.jpeg
IMG_4063.jpeg
IMG_4065.jpeg

With all the money and time spent to commission these hilts I worry that the display stand will chip, wear, crease, or damage the painted aluminum over time due to the angle and weight of the hilt. Most of my static hilts have been modified to simulate the weight of the prop and can be pretty heavy. Even with protection from felt material, foam, or rubber bumpers I have had bad luck with the stand messing up the finish on my hilts in the past.

One solution is a horizontal stand. Those are are great and have attempted them on my thin neck collection in the past but I have a few reservations. The first is it’s hard to get the sabers perfectly level. Second, it’s most likely going to make contact with an area of the saber that is painted. Third, I’m limited on space and I can move single vertical stands where they fit best versus something larger like a 3 or 4 saber horizontal stand.

The solution that I’ve used for a while is a vertical display stand that makes contact with the saber at the aluminum clamp section of the thin neck hilt.
IMG_3966.jpeg
IMG_3965.jpeg
IMG_4069.jpeg

After going over options on thingiverse there was a 3D print option that worked for a while. The issue with a 3D printed stand now is the weight of the static hilt has begun to warp the stand and I worry that it will continue. Which is why I added the metal brace to the back. But these have done well in preserving the painted grip section so far. Just not the most sturdy. Acrylic would be much better.

What I am looking for is a vertical display stand that make contact with the saber in the clamp/metal section of the hilt that still
displays the saber fully. So no part of the display is blocking the view of the hilt. The closest design that might work is here on thepcmodshop.
IMG_4071.jpeg

The shop is awesome but lead times aren’t the best and the owner already has so many stand designs and I haven’t had much luck with him.

Does anyone else share my feelings about how their stands have affected their painted hilts. I understand that these are replicas and they aren’t meant to be perfect but since I paid a lot to commissions them I wish for them to stay as they are for as long as possible.

Any thoughts about my concerns or know of someone willing to manufacture something custom? Please share and post how you all are displaying your hilts vertically.

Last edited:
Following. Regardless of hilt or paint damage, I prefer vertical stands aesthetically for some hilts anyways, and have been looking for something similar.

Finally... I recently got the case put together for my OT sabers:

View attachment 1479374

L to R:

Vintage Folmer Graflex
All real parts Obi-Wan
Vintage MPP
Vintage Graflex Inc.
Vintage MPP (with wannawanga steel shroud replica)
Anakin Starkiller first run V2 from 2015
Nicksdad Hero

The V2 and Hero are placeholders for now.
mgenovese312, here is a link to a vertical saber display posted by The 48th Ronin. I thought it was fantastic. Maybe he can help with your inquiry regarding the stand design specifics, materials, etc.

Last edited:
mgenovese312, here is a link to a vertical saber display posted by The 48th Ronin. I thought it was fantastic. Maybe he can help with your inquiry regarding the stand design specifics, materials, etc.
I bought the stands from this Etsy store:

JPMODELWORKS - Acrylic Designs by Jeff Pollizzotto - Etsy

His earlier versions had a flared base, so I asked him if he could make them in a consistent width, so I could line them up closely together - he had no problem with that. He does state that "We can also design and manufacture custom Lightsaber holders to your specifications. If you have a design in mind, let me know."

So it couldn't hurt to ask - he might be able to make what you're looking for. One caveat though - he doesn't give price breaks on multiple piece orders, so it could get pricey fast.

His earlier versions had a flared base, so I asked him if he could make them in a consistent width, so I could line them up closely together - he had no problem with that. He does state that "We can also design and manufacture custom Lightsaber holders to your specifications. If you have a design in mind, let me know."

So it couldn't hurt to ask - he might be able to make what you're looking for. One caveat though - he doesn't give price breaks on multiple piece orders, so it could get pricey fast.
Thank you for the information! Gonna check him out for sure! I love how clean it looks. Just gonna see how low profile it can be in supporting the hilt towards the clamp section.

Love the clean acrylic look too. Got a mix of 3D printed and acrylic so far. I just realized I actually have one of JPModelworks stands for my Vader hilt.

Attachments

• IMG_4073.jpeg
    IMG_4073.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 102
Last edited:
FWIW, I used this clear acrylic plate stand as a poor-man's version, and they worked pretty well:

PXL_20230905_212609339.jpg

I put the foot of the Leia saber on the front "step" of the stand (you can also put it behind the step), and then I slide the back-support of the stand forward enough so that the saber is ever-so-slightly leaning backward. But you can adjust the angle to anything you like, which means you can control WHERE the stand back-support touches the hilt. You'll notice it's standing next to my Luke saber, which didn't need a stand at all.

If you were to add a thin strip of self-adhesive craft foam to the point where the stand back-support touches the hilt, it will cushion things, make it more stable, and be hidden behind the hilt.

Here's the Amazon link:

FWIW, I used this clear acrylic plate stand as a poor-man's version, and they worked pretty well:

View attachment 1736772

I put the foot of the Leia saber on the front "step" of the stand (you can also put it behind the step), and then I slide the back-support of the stand forward enough so that the saber is ever-so-slightly leaning backward. But you can adjust the angle to anything you like, which means you can control WHERE the stand back-support touches the hilt. You'll notice it's standing next to my Luke saber, which didn't need a stand at all.

If you were to add a thin strip of self-adhesive craft foam to the point where the stand back-support touches the hilt, it will cushion things, make it more stable, and be hidden behind the hilt.

Here's the Amazon link:
Very nice! Effective!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back