Sectioned Dreads-Huntorial Post #65

Here is some progress. Going to get a full set done and then on to the marketplace with these.

2012-10-09_19-52-31_58.jpg

2012-10-09_19-52-02_435.jpg

2012-10-09_19-52-12_30.jpg

2012-10-09_19-52-24_500.jpg

This is a really great idea and also a new "concept" on how a PREDATOR's dreads may grow. Really cool Clay.

I digs's's it yo's.

Im going to try and get still more creative with these and create some multi textured /colored ones next! maybe a translucent skin with colored insides to give them the feeling that they are alive and a part of the predator instead of just hanging there! Maybe they come to life and help him grasp and eat his prey---HMMMM???

OK-- I have to get some made before I can offer them up on the MP-- the rules are that I have to have them IN HAND before I can offer them. I dunno about an interest list if I can do that or not tho. I will be making bot types, with tips and without. Im in production mode as we speak. Im going to get a full set made up to calculate the final costs.

Hey Clay
I like where these are going, nice action on the combo materai. What material is the wiggly stuff, a urethane? If so it wont set properly in silicone molds unless you use a "primer" thats sprayed in first. The polyfoam mixtures are a challenge.

Hey Clay
What material is the wiggly stuff, a urethane? If so it wont set properly in silicone molds unless you use a "primer" thats sprayed in first. The polyfoam mixtures are a challenge.

Just a question, but what would be the best 'primer' to use for casting urethane in a silicone mold?

Depends on the material, they make specific products for casting urethane in silicone, and paint adhesion of urethane materials. It's sprayed into the mold first, then the urethane material is casted. It's elastic and also mixed with paint much the same as you would pros aide. For some reason the elastic urethanes don't cure well in silicone molds without the primer.

Depends on the material, they make specific products for casting urethane in silicone, and paint adhesion of urethane materials. It's sprayed into the mold first, then the urethane material is casted. It's elastic and also mixed with paint much the same as you would pros aide. For some reason the elastic urethanes don't cure well in silicone molds without the primer.

Cool, thanks for the info bud. So sort of a release agent as well? Got no idea on these and trying to get as much info as possible

OK--here is the deal-- after timing it to see how long it takes to make one dread-- it is crazy. About 15 minutes from the time I pour until the time I pour again. I have a split plexiglass tube, silicone mold. I have to pour, let cure, take straps off of the tube, gently pull the dread out as the mold is only split on one side, put the mold back in the plexi, put the halves together, line up seam, strap it all, mix and pour again. I only have one mold right now as I was testing to see how it worked. By the time I take material costs, time spent making one dread out, I wont make a dime on these the way I am currently doing them-- but thats ok-- Its the effect that I am looking for and Im having a ball doing it-- sometimes it not about the money and this is one of those times.

Then if I do them where they have the hard spines on the tips-- that takes another 10 minutes or so!!! I really had not expected this kind of response.. Im doing it between other projects so sometimes it takes even longer --LOL

I noticed that some of you have expressed an interest in these-- So here is what I am going to do
I will let you decide if I should make a multiple mold for these.
This is NOT an interest post or a sales post-- its just a post to help me decide if I should bite the bullet and make a multiple mold.

So let the decisions begin-- I will wait until Halloween and then count up the votes-- if there are more yays than nays-- I will go for it.

Thanks all for the kind words and support.

2012-10-09_19-51-50_418.jpg

I think that you should do a run off these. So yeah my vote is for multiple mould - out question much on average you looking for pair set of err 50 ish? Pm me if you can't answer that on the boards

O and thanks for posting your little how to that will come in very handy

OK-- I had 20 of these made and I already had someone buy them-- I wasnt even ready to let them go yet!! -- So Ill be gone all week this week and after my studio opening I wll start anew!!!!

Here they are as they sit now awaiting packing and shipping--

IMG_20121022_212004_260.jpg

IMG_20121022_211931_822.jpg

IMG_20121022_211939_754.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back