SCREEN USED P1 MASK UP FOR AUCTION

TuaCathach

hey guys i meant to post this a few days ago...

while reading one of the natinal tabloids in Ireland i came across a piece which seems to imply that the Screen used P1 Mask is going up for auction.. There are other pieces aswell such as an ET statue and Elvis stuff...

Details are very Sketchy apart from its taking place in October in L.A.

I'll have a dig up for the article and post it...

in the interim if anyone knows anything else or can find out anything keep us all posted..

I think there is a thread up in the auction area, but yes ..the Winstons are auctioning off most of the cool stuff you see in the SWS viewing room..and then some

cool...

here's the piece from the paper aswell as the pic of the pred head they have... looks like a bust..

man it would be so cool to own a screen used mask..
IMG00130-20090923-1651.jpg.gif

IMG00131-20090923-1656.jpg.gif

IMG00130-20090923-1651.jpg.gif

IMG00131-20090923-1656.jpg.gif

The last pic I saw of a screen used Bio it looked very run down with paint coming off in chunks. It made me very sad to see, but its to be expected with something that old.

I have spoken with one of the guys over at Stan's who was involved with the first pred film. He told me the mask(s) were thrown away not long after the film came out because of the inherent degradation of foam latex. He said they had become all moldy, etc.
Unless any of those several masks were encased in shellac, survivability all this time is practically nill. By mask they must mean bio.
Lastly, the photo on the ad looks an awful lot like the Sideshow P1 bust.

Isn't that the one that HCG used for their super duper P1 bio display? I recognise the non-ribbed temple piece. If I won the lottery I would pony up whatever it took...

if you look at the auction pics, i believe that's not a "mask" at all, it's the face shot of the full size Pred w/ the spear etc. typical accurate reporting of the daily mirror, frankly.

Isn't that the one that HCG used for their super duper P1 bio display? I recognise the non-ribbed temple piece. If I won the lottery I would pony up whatever it took...

Yeah that's the one HCG used for their P1 display. Faken posted that picture up, when the bust was in the talks.
Their was a thread talking about it, in here some where.

Don't you already own a mold for the P1 stunt helmet, Hez? Wouldn't they already both be the same size?

Don't you already own a mold for the P1 stunt helmet, Hez? Wouldn't they already both be the same size?
I do, and I would imagine they are the same size, I haven't had the chance to examine one of the HCG bios to confirm it though. Sure would be nice to own a screen used bio though!

That P1 helmet pictured is the one John Rosengrant has and photographed quite recently. I have four P1 original dreads, all have a piece of white string built into the centre of the lenght, they are a bit crumbly. From the pieces I have and others I have seen the main cause of deterioration is how much they got wet on set as well as the acidic properties of the actor's sweat. They have more chance of surviving than the materials of some modern suits like the ones in Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy which break down very quickly. If the latex is already dried out it can be sealed, which I had to do to my P2 head's neck rings.
Remember the AVP PC game's promotional standee?
27_12.jpg

The Alien is that of the Stan Winston display room and I'm certain that the P1 must be the full suit owned by Arnie. That game was ten years ago and the costume looks pretty good then.

Last edited by a moderator:
That P1 helmet pictured is the one John Rosengrant has and photographed quite recently. I have four P1 original dreads, all have a piece of white string built into the centre of the lenght, they are a bit crumbly. From the pieces I have and others I have seen the main cause of deterioration is how much they got wet on set as well as the acidic properties of the actor's sweat. They have more chance of surviving than the materials of some modern suits like the ones in Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy which break down very quickly. If the latex is already dried out it can be sealed, which I had to do to my P2 head's neck rings.
Remember the AVP PC game's promotional standee?

The Alien is that of the Stan Winston display room and I'm certain that the P1 must be the full suit owned by Arnie. That game was ten years ago and the costume looks pretty good then.

Do you have pics of your dreads that we can see?

I'll say this since I've seen pics of other screen used P1 dreads before. To date, still the most movie accurate P1 dreads I've seen are the very first set of dreads DB produced with his old version 1 mask. The real movie P1 dreads had the rings sculpted in as part of the dread, so that alone makes the old DB ones more accurate than anyone else who makes separate resin dread rings for P1 masks.

It's funny because even though materials have changed a bit over time with the different dread makers, those old first edition DB dreads were the first "fan made" dreads that came out. Everyone else at the time used backer rod. So being the original dreads for our "market", they still are more movie accurate for P1 than anyone else's dreads that have been mass produced since.

.....and since I'm on a current rant about dreads, the P1 and P2 dreads were NOT SMOOTH. Straight from the studio before even being used on screen, they have more of a textured type of surface (yes, even the Winston crew got air bubbles and wrinkles in their dreads and they are the pros). Only the AVP/AVPR dreads are smooth. It seems everyone wants the smooth dreads for their suits, but if they are trying to make accurate P1 or P2 suits, the really smooth dreads are the least accurate dreads you can use!!!

Here are the auction pics of all the P1 dreads that were sold, various sizes:

dreadlock_prop_P1_190327414023_a.jpg

dreadlock_prop_P1_190327414023_b.jpg

dreadlock_prop_P1_190327414023_c.jpg

dreadlock_prop_P1_190327414023_d.jpg

FIRST_MOVIE_DREADLOCKS_190327819785_a.jpg

FIRST_MOVIE_DREADLOCKS_190327819785_b.jpg

FIRST_MOVIE_DREADLOCKS_190327819785_c.jpg

PREDATOR_DREADLOCK__USED_IN_THE_FIRST_PREDATOR_FILM_a.jpg

PREDATOR_DREADLOCK__USED_IN_THE_FIRST_PREDATOR_FILM_b.jpg

PREDATOR_DREADLOCK__USED_IN_THE_FIRST_PREDATOR_FILM_c.jpg

PREDATOR_DREADLOCK__USED_IN_THE_FIRST_PREDATOR_FILM_c.jpg

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back