Interest Screen Accurate Back to the Future 2 Marty's 2015 Jacket Belt and Cuffs

Question, does this include the red/yellow end pieces for the belt, or is it just the ribbed section?
Funny you should ask. I'm actually attempting to replicate all of the hard pieces from the jacket. But only if I can do them to a high degree of accuracy.

At the very least, my initial work on it makes it look like I should be able to create kit versions of the end pieces for the belt to include with these orders. But I don't want to rush something out if it isn't as good as I can make it. (And the yellow button/light is kicking my ***** right now)

The 3D printed parts came in today, so I will update this thread with pictures later today.

-Nick

After having the post office jerk me around for a few days without updating my tracking, the printed pieces came in today. I've done 6 inch sections of each the belt and the cuff and will cast multiple hard copies to make my final full-length masters.

Here are some quick shots of the prints, as well as one of the common "chair back bellows" that people use just so you can see how strikingly different theses pieces are...and how thin. (Matched to the amazing profile shots we have from the 2011 Nike Mag launch event)

Screen Shot 2015-10-30 at 11.42.53 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-10-30 at 11.44.20 PM.png

The prints are EXTREMELY clean, but I'm still going to master them. So that's what I'm going to do next.

If anyone else is interested, let me know.

-Nick

Last edited:
Question: Whether we're using the red/yellow end pieces that came with out own jackets -- or the ones you may produce -- how would we attach those to the belt? The belt piece that came with the Mark Poon jackets had a flat section at each end you could adhere them to. Will these belts be similar? Also, will these be different sizes to accommodate the different sizes of jackets that are out there? If they're made of a rubber material, i don't foresee these being as easy to cut down to size.

Question: Whether we're using the red/yellow end pieces that came with out own jackets -- or the ones you may produce -- how would we attach those to the belt? The belt piece that came with the Mark Poon jackets had a flat section at each end you could adhere them to. Will these belts be similar? Also, will these be different sizes to accommodate the different sizes of jackets that are out there? If they're made of a rubber material, i don't foresee these being as easy to cut down to size.

I'm not sure what system Mark uses, but I was actually JUST making sketches of various ways to attach the end pieces. One thing on the table at the moment is a flat section extending out one side off the back of the end pieces that is actually glued down between the belt and the fabric. (What I think was done for the Screen Used Jackets) Otherwise, using epoxy to connect it to the fabric is your best bet.

...you could also just epoxy on a flat piece of your own on the back of the end piece to extend behind the belt. (This is specifically how I think the movie belts were attached, rather than the extension being part of the end piece by design)

I just want to see if there might be a better option that I'm missing before I commit.

The belts will be done in a ~53" length and the cuffs in an ~18" length and you will trim it down to fit your jacket. The rubber is very easy to cut especially at these thicknesses. And sharp box cutter or blade will cut through it easily. The webbing I will embed will be the toughest part to cut through, but a few shallow passes with a box cutter should take care of that. The stuff I'm sourcing at the moment is military spec webbing...but is VERY thin.

I hope that makes sense. Otherwise I can always do some sketches. haha

-Nick

It does. I was asking because my red/yellow end piece has a 5MM yellow LED embedded in it, which is connected to a sound effects mod I made to play the jacket sounds. The wiring runs through the center of piece, which is why I was wondering about how to connect it to the belt. :)

Would anyone happen to know where I can pick up some of the red crosshatch material on the jacket? Was going to use that for a few of the bottons on the belt, unless there are better options?

I think this would actually work and look good for the buttons on the waist belt.

k2-_35649b71-10ee-4570-a917-613c415ff425.v1.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back