Scratchbuilt Star Destroyer project COMPLETED!

Robert McLain

Sr Member
I've been toying with the idea of scratchbuilding on of these suckers for quite some time and finally got the nerve to begin. The Bridge tower seen in the pics is a test: it's made from sheet styrene and will be detailed with assorted model parts. It's 4 and 1/4 inches across. Oh, and the sensor spheres are craft beads
icon_lol.gif
What do you guys think?

bridge1.jpg

bridge2.jpg

bridge3.jpg

bridge4.jpg

Thanks guys
icon_smile.gif
Sadly, at the small scale I'm building at(about 3 feet long) I'm gonna have to scratchbuild a lot of the parts....I'm gonna try to achieve a general "look" as opposed to pinpoint accuracy(no way I can do that
icon_lol.gif
) Jedi Dade, thanks for the link to the pics...they're gonna be of tremendous help!

Here I've scribed some panel lines and layed on a few more detail pieces.

bridge5.jpg

Robert
icon_smile.gif

If I rememer correctly the ANH SD was about 3 feet... The ESB was a lot bigger but you should still probably look for really small scale battleships and carriers. There's probably enough kitbashing material in there to help cut down on scratching EVERYTHING. You can usually pick up kits pretty cheap (sometimes in lots) on eBay.

You might want to think about constructing it subsections that could be molded and cast. The thing is basically symetrical, even though the "correct" detailing is totally different you could probably save yourself a lot of effort "copying" parts you've already made. Plus if you ever wanted to make a kit of this you'd have most of it done. Just a thought.

Jedi Dade

Here's one more shot of the bridge with added detailing. I'm gonna hold off on anymore pics until I've made more progress on the upper superstructure. Thanks as always to wackychimp for the pic hosting
icon_smile.gif

bridge6.jpg

Robert
icon_smile.gif

Wow!!! Robert, you've always done some amazing build-ups but I think this one is going to be my most favorite of them all.
icon_smile.gif

I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread, brudda.

Tom

Here's an update pic....Finished the basic shape of the superstructure....just need to true up the edges and begin laying on the detail. This section is 12 and 1/4 inches long.

superstructure.jpg

Robert
icon_smile.gif

OK, I'm finished with the upper superstructure and have chosen a color(Testors Model Master Flat Gull Gray) Like I mentioned before, I wasn't going for dead on accuracy, but a good representation. I think scribing the panel lines really brought it to life. I'm gonna make the main hull out of plexiglass with wood inner braces. I think the part I'm looking most forward to building is the main hangar bay on the belly of the ship...Lots of detail in there to have fun with.

finbridge1.jpg

finbridge2.jpg

finbridge3.jpg

finbridge4.jpg

finbridge5.jpg

finbridge6.jpg

Robert
icon_smile.gif

Sir, you are insane. Thank you for making some of us look like frauds.
Seriously, that is really impressive. And I can't believe your progess is taking days and not months.
Thanks for sharing an impressive undertaking with all of us.

Brian

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back