Scratch built Star Trek Discovery Phaser

Hi Markstammers,
I used TAMIYA’s TS-94 Metallic Grey spray paint. If I was to repaint it I would use Metallic Black.

Thanks for the info on the paint.

I'm not talented enough to tackle a scratch build, but I found 3D print files on Thingverse that looked accurate. Not owning a 3D printer myself I sent it to a commercial printer in the UK to create the pieces.

The print outs required a LOT of sanding both for finish (the dreaded print lines) and for fit.

My son and I sanded for about a week before filling and priming.

The "release" pegs on the type II body were not accurate to the prop images we had, so we used a couple of lego flat cap pieces sprayed gold/brass.

Having checked picture and video references for the Anovos, QMx and the screen-used props, we decided against metallic gunmetal or metallic black paint and opted for Fosco's Army paint Midnight grey (also called Grau Blau). It'd a matt dark grey with a blue tone to it. Once dry we masked up the central part of the grip and hit the phaser with a satin finish sealant, which gave a slight sheen to the paint. This looks accurate to the two-tone look of the prop phaser.

We used PlastiKote Brass Project Enamel spray paint for the "gold" areas. I think the darker brass finish looks right to my eyes.

We added some 6mm diameter magnets into the type I and type II body to hold it in place. Also added the same magnets behind the emitter to allow the barrel to rotate to each "nozzle" position.

It would be possible to add lights to this build with some modification but decided against it for this first version.

Here's a few pics:

image3.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image1.jpeg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back