Scrapps's first sculpt, EVER!

Scrapps

So, this is my first sculpt, ever. As in, the closest I've ever gotten to sculpting was play-doh when I was little. I can't take full credit for this, since I am being tutored in sculpting by Supreme Emperor Chaos (Also on here) and he did a couple of parts here and there, although I've been pretty insistant thus far to do as much as possible. It's also not very far along. We've mostly worked on the bottom bits, as in the jawline, chin and mouth and we're going for a very menacing-looking predator with a slimmer face than the original. Kind of wolf-ish but not entirely. We're also going to be sculpting the mandibles separate but we left markers.

So, without further ado:

The view of the Jawline: I did most of the chin and jawline details and belatedly, I realized that I didn't need to be so tedious on the cheek because the mandibles are going over it anyway! D'oh!
The inside of the mouth was done by SEC and we're doing the lines in the inside of the mouth really deep so that they can actually be open and we can have more ventilation. I briefly started some of the detail on the "nose" and I still have to put in an upper and lower gumline but that's the next step.

Picture002.jpg

The side view:
SEC roughly did the "crown" part of the head and the first row of dread holes on one side. It'll be my job to match it on the other side. He also did the rough shape of the brow but I helped, too!

Picture001.jpg

Overall, I'm really proud of myself, especially in the chin. I still recognize that I'm a beginner, though and if anyone has any pointers on sculpting, I'll gladly accept them!

looks like all the forms are there! nice stuff.

but..... finish it up yourself. you obviously can do it, seeing how well all the chin detail turned out.

It's been a while since I've been on to check this.

@Unforgiven hunter: The sculpt has progressed a lot since these pictures and unfortunately, my house is horrific with lighting and the weather outside has been just as horrific. When it clears up some, I'll drag it outside and take better pics.

@xdmray: Thanks. I started this sculpt very unsure of myself since I haven't done anything even half as ambitious as this before and at this point, I think we've both invested too much time and money for one of us to just take over entirely. I do understand where you are coming from though (I've already had my fair share of creative scuffles with him) but, I think we can get through this one. I am not going to be a pushover and let him take the credit for it either. I will be sculpting my own set of mandibles (as I am planning on making a female pred) and I will definately do the rest of my suit by myself now that I know that I can.

Thanks again for your guys' support. We've only got a few more things to do to finish the sculpting process and pics will come as the weather allows.

keep pressing forward. things can be tough sometimes. It may be frustrating. But the experience I think is worth it in itself. You're doing a great job, keep moving forward and use the things that you are doing well as motivation.

I am learning still myself. We are each others crutch, learning by trial and error and using each other for support when we venture into new endeavorers.

-I am forhammer and I approve of this message.
:D

Hello everyone,

It has been a while since I've updated this but, I've got a lot done since the first post. I've been waiting for better weather so I could drag this outside for better pic lighting but alas, no better weather has come and I don't foresee it getting any better so I thought I'd get this over with. Same crappy camera, same crappy lighting but, I think my hand is getting steadier (probably from sculpting).

I'm mostly doing this myself now. I'd say 90% of what was done since last time was done by me and I'm damn well proud of myself for no longer needing help. I'm also going to be taking it over 100% from now on as far as the main head goes. (We'll be sculpting our own different sets of mandibles and teeth. He'll probably post his version some time later.)

The back is done for the most part. I may soften the scales a bit more but I'll wait until I'm done to make a decision on that. I just barely added the ridges around the sides and I'm not too fond of what I've done so far on the brows so that'll all get reworked when I get back to it. I also had a set of big fangs in there but they fell out on accident when I was sculpting and I forgot to stick them back in but they're supposed to be there.

So, as far as the front is concerned, I still have to do the brows, the ridges and to fix the side of the face around the cheekbones. And, the mandibles, of course.

The third pic was just for fun. I was worried that the face was too wide so I photoshopped my eyes into the eyeholes (to scale of course) and it just turned out that the head that I sculpted on had eyes that were more narrow set. I was also worried about it being too big i.e. make me look bobble-headed, especially since I'm short, petite, and female. But, now, I think it's fine, especially with latex shrinkage when it gets cast.

Any pointers or constructive criticism is always welcome.

~scrapps

IMG_5571.JPG

IMG_5579.JPG

IMG_5580.JPG

IMG_5581.JPG

Pred_Photoshop.jpg

Get some mandibles on that bad boy!

Honestly I like it. The dimples or bumps around the brow above the eyes kind of stood out to me. Thought it looked different and set yours apart from others. Keep going!

By the way you should totally give this guy a scar.

well, this has come along quite well. your transitions between textures is really nice. i almost feel like i should get sculpting tips from you. i'm glad you are doing it all yourself now. can't wait to see more.

@REYALS: I see what you mean about the teeth. All of the teeth were really just put in as place markers as I was going to make resin teeth to fit there later. I saw no point in making them proper if I’m not going to use them. The final result will be sleeker, probably smaller, and actually look like a realistic tooth.

I also was really debating whether or not to go with the scar-style tooth formation or the traditional with just the big fangs. If I change my mind, it’s only a matter of filling and smoothing the holes. For now, I think it adds balance

@scott: After sleeping on it, I think I’m more ok with the brow dimples. I’ll work on it more and see what happens.

Funny you should mention scars. One of the first versions of my pred in my head were of a pred with scars galore. We decided to go neutral on the first head because I hadn’t sculpted before so this sculpt would probably be considered my young blood and I’ll revamp it later.

@xdmray: Thanks. I won’t disappoint!

UPDATE: SEC has decided to completely hand over the creative reins to me so that he can work on his biohelmet. I'll be posting again soon. Thanks everyone for the encouragement!

@REYALS: I see what you mean about the teeth. All of the teeth were really just put in as place markers as I was going to make resin teeth to fit there later. I saw no point in making them proper if I'm not going to use them. The final result will be sleeker, probably smaller, and actually look like a realistic tooth.

I also was really debating whether or not to go with the scar-style tooth formation or the traditional with just the big fangs. If I change my mind, it's only a matter of filling and smoothing the holes. For now, I think it adds balance

@scott: After sleeping on it, I think I'm more ok with the brow dimples. I'll work on it more and see what happens.

Funny you should mention scars. One of the first versions of my pred in my head were of a pred with scars galore. We decided to go neutral on the first head because I hadn't sculpted before so this sculpt would probably be considered my young blood and I'll revamp it later.

@xdmray: Thanks. I won't disappoint!

UPDATE: SEC has decided to completely hand over the creative reins to me so that he can work on his biohelmet. I'll be posting again soon. Thanks everyone for the encouragement!

Just make sure you like it. And enjoy it. That's the greatest thing about working projects like this is to say your hobby is many times more fun and rewarding than what other folks do.

I'm guessing you didn't draw those mental images of the first version of your predator? I would've loved to have seen another battled scarred pred. :D

@ Scott: I started some doodles a little while ago but they seemed to have gotten lost while I was cleaning house. If I find them, I'll post them, that is if I manage to get my scanner working properly. Crossing my fingers.

That's kinda funny because I normally have problems with scanners myself. But, unplugging them then plugging them back in for whatever reason tends to work. . .for about a week. :D Keeping my fingers crossed for the doodles.

So, A Christmas Update.

I actually didn't start picking this up again until yesterday. It's been so crazy that I haven't had that much time to sculpt.Anyway, I finally finished the brow dimples/quill holes and I'm pretty satisfied with where they are at. I'm glad that I didn't demolish them when I had the first urge to. As far as the teeth go, I've decided to go with just the two fangs and I'll be putting in a defined gumline there when I get back to it. That, and just a few minor fixes here and there and it'll be ready to mold!

And sorry, scott, haven't found my sketches and I haven't had time to draw new ones. Busy, Busy, Busy.

Thanks, everyone. Enjoy!

IMG_5589.JPG

IMG_5590.JPG

IMG_5591.JPG

IMG_5592.JPG

nice work Scrapps. yeah, im a fan of the two top teeth instead of a row. glad you decided to go that route.

Update: 1/20/2011

I've finally got around to demolding my head and unfortunately, my molding skills were not quite up to par. The mold was being stubborn. I don't know if it's because of not enough vaseline, maybe some other issue I haven't thought of. I tried my best though and I already know how I'm going to do it differently next time.

For the most part, the detail on the main face is perfect. On the front, I've got a butterfly shaped piece of detail about 1 1/2 inches long that broke off from around the 2nd and 3rd ridge from the bottom and that's after I went on my hands and knees on my garage floor looking for the pieces to glue back in. I've also got a sizable part of the bottom of the neck that broke off but I'm not so concerned about that since it'll be covered by the neck ring. And through all of that, I was so concerned about air bubbles and I only had ONE. And that was in the eye hole where it was going to get cut out anyway.

I haven't gotten to cleaning out the back yet because I damn near cried when I saw whole chunks of detail missing from my baby. It's pretty stuck on there because of the dread holes anyway so cleaning it out will be tough.

I'm feeling pretty down right now. The one good thing is that the clay that I got came off cleanly on the entire front, aside from the chin and upper jaw. It is mostly intact and pretty darn stiff. I think if I can remove the areas that were broken carefully enough I may be able to either mold new pieces and glue them in and just repair cracks rather than whole sections, or I can carefully brush in new plaster and use them like texture stamps. Not sure yet but I don't know if my sculpting abilities are good enough to try to work in the negative. I was hoping to get this suit up by April for a con but at this point, I'm not sure if I can make it.

I'm not giving up though!! I'll keep cleaning it out and hopefully, I'll have better news for you guys by next week.

~Scrapps.

Gah! I don't know how to be helpful here, but I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out well. I do hope you can get it repaired somehow. Your sculpt is wicked, it would suck to lose it completely.

damn, i hear ya. molding two part plaster still gives me a headache. take some pics of the damage, maybe everyone can help with some suggestions.

nice stuff dude your sculpting is awesome for a first timer sculpting is very addictive and you'll see yourself grow very
quickly with newer things can't wait to see what you have installed next

Hey, everyone. Thanks for following but I probably won't make it for the next upcoming convention in my area (2 months to go!) so I'm switching gears to other costumes. This costume will be on hold until the convention is done. I was hoping to actually have my full costume by then (Which is why I posted in WIP, rather than parts.) but that doesn't look like it's going to be happening.

I've cleaned out the mold and the detail is simply perfect but the mold wall is all messed up and not fitting securely together again. I think 99% of my problems were from a bad mold wall/keys but now that I know, I can correct it next time. I also think that the deep dread holes caused more problems than it was worth. I'm not doing that next time. I might have to rig something up for at least one good cast and then maybe try molding again. But if that's somehow a bust, I'll have to start back from scratch. If I can do it once I can do it again! But maybe I'll start with something smaller like the hands and feet before I move to something as large and important as the head. Discouraged but not broken.

Thanks again for all your support.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back