Scans of various prop money

I think there were some prop coins in the Harry Potter movies, as well.

And Battlestar Galactica (both series) had 'cubits.'

The TV series Firefly shows some rather generic Asian coins.

The Battlestar Galactica spin-off series Caprica had some coins.

And Terra Nova has recently shown coins.

A quick Google search turns up more:

Pirates of the Caribbean

X-Men: First Class

Constantine

Drive Angry

The Goonies

-MJ

Last edited:
I had a screen-cap of the Fringe money, and the 'on display' image I got from somewhere online. I don't recall where.

I posted a couple caps of the Terra Nova coins in my Terra Nova references thread.

Half of the coins on the list have had replicas made & sold here on the board.

A few of them have licensed replicas available.

A Google Image Search should show you plenty of any particular coin. I searched for "movie prop coin" and got the latter half of the list that way. :lol

I notice that in the Luther King pictures you posted there are two different printings, in the first screen cap it says on the note "This note is legal tender" on the display piece it says "This note is not legal tender" so the latter ones are probably a re-print just for display. I bet the screen used ones were destroyed after filming for that reason.

In the case of Premiere props, it's possible they just had so much they decided to sell some of it to a memorabilia company... but that's pretty rare.

Actually, Premiere isn't a memorabilia company, they are an active prop warehouse used by the movie studios... Some studios, like Sony, store all of their props for various franchises at Premiere (like Underworld for example, Premiere has most, if not all, of the props from those films in their storage, including what Sony has opted to keep for their archives.) Having that connection with the studios, they also worked out an arrangement to auction off excess items from the franchises that the studio doesn't really want to keep, that's where their stuff comes from... (Although lately they've started taking consignments for their live auctions.)

The Punisher money they've sold in loose bills, large stacks, even huge blocks of 'cash' that looks shrink wrapped (like you'd find in a bank vault or something). Some of their COAs (especially the ones from 2004-2006) were actually signed by someone from the studio that made the film (not sure about the Punisher ones though).

They've sold smaller quantities of stacks of money from Bourne movies, these look like the money was only printed on half of the paper... (Looks like the work 'Specimen' printed on the other half). Looks like it was supposed to pass as real money for a closeup, but was used in a way that only half the bill was visible so they could print it more realistically...?

attachment.php

Actually, Premiere isn't a memorabilia company, they are an active prop warehouse used by the movie studios... Some studios, like Sony, store all of their props for various franchises at Premiere (like Underworld for example, Premiere has most, if not all, of the props from those films in their storage, including what Sony has opted to keep for their archives.) Having that connection with the studios, they also worked out an arrangement to auction off excess items from the franchises that the studio doesn't really want to keep, that's where their stuff comes from... (Although lately they've started taking consignments for their live auctions.)

They do not make any props. They are a warehouse company that buys used props from the studios. If they produced the notes used in The Punisher, they obtained the design from a prop maker.

Last edited:
Not likely. There was probably a hero note for close ups (i'm sure more than one.) And the rest were done the other way.

Well, I don't work for any prop house, but the idea of them making and printing two different versions of a bill for about 10 seconds of screen time seems pretty thin. Digitally changing the text on that bill would be child's play.
However they did it, it was a pretty cool little scene in that episode!

They whine about the cost of bleeping dirty words and blurring things (mouths and logos) in Mythbusters, so it probably isn't negligible.

It might have been simpler and cheaper just to change the text and print out a couple, after the show was long over.

Also, I forgot, "Dr. Strangelove" has some prop money in it - the Soviet Rubles in the bomber crew survival kits, and some gold coins.

Researched in the old thread here: thread.

And printable Rubles provided! Yaay!

-MJ

They do not make any props. They are a warehouse company that buys used props from the studios. If they produced the notes used in The Punisher, they obtained the design from a prop maker.

I never said they _make_ props... They have nothing to do with making props of any kind, they are a warehouse. They don't 'buy them' from the studios either (at least, they didn't a couple of years ago, might have changed since then). The studios rent their warehouse facilities to store their props. When the studio needs a certain prop, it's either picked up or delivered by PP to the studio... That kind of thing. Up until a few years ago, that was their only business. It's changed a bit in the last few years I suspect, so there may be cases now where they will purchase inventory just for the purpose of reselling it, but back in 2004-5, it was just a way to help the studios get rid of some of the stuff they stored, usually in PP warehouse.

They auction/sell props FOR the studios (and I'm sure they take some percentage of the sale price), but usually the only props they auction or sell directly are from the properties they have storage contracts for. (Again, this doesn't apply to their live auctions anymore for which they take consignments from anyone.)

I was just making a point about the Punisher money specifically. That was made by the production of that film, and most likely used in it (or was ready to be used in it). Premiere had nothing to do with it, but they were selling it on behalf of the studio that made the movie.

I never said they _make_ props... They have nothing to do with making props of any kind, they are a warehouse. They don't 'buy them' from the studios either (at least, they didn't a couple of years ago, might have changed since then). The studios rent their warehouse facilities to store their props. When the studio needs a certain prop, it's either picked up or delivered by PP to the studio... That kind of thing. Up until a few years ago, that was their only business. It's changed a bit in the last few years I suspect, so there may be cases now where they will purchase inventory just for the purpose of reselling it, but back in 2004-5, it was just a way to help the studios get rid of some of the stuff they stored, usually in PP warehouse.

They auction/sell props FOR the studios (and I'm sure they take some percentage of the sale price), but usually the only props they auction or sell directly are from the properties they have storage contracts for. (Again, this doesn't apply to their live auctions anymore for which they take consignments from anyone.)

I was just making a point about the Punisher money specifically. That was made by the production of that film, and most likely used in it (or was ready to be used in it). Premiere had nothing to do with it, but they were selling it on behalf of the studio that made the movie.

Certainly not trying to fight here. My point in the original post was more along the lines that the notes being sold by Premiere Props are modified copies of very common notes used in the industry.

I'm sure the modifications were done by the art department on the film in order to save money, as they used quite a bit of it, and at $25/100 notes, it gets expensive compared to making copies.

There is however (at least) one ebay member who sells copies of these notes (Original, Punisher versions, and modified) claiming that he produces them and provides them to the industry, which is clearly a lie, considering he's selling a stolen design. Heck, he's even sold copies of some of my designs.

I suppose if any non-union or student filmmakers have purchased from him he is technically "providing to the industry" but he shouldn't be selling these as if he is a prop house.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back