Saving private Ryan Tiger tank

carves

Hey guys,

I have seen the movie Saving Private Ryan for a few times.
What interest me is the Tiger tank that they are using in the film.
Yes, I know it is NOT a true 100% Tiger tank, instead it is a conversion from a T-34 variant.

I'm trying to build this tank in 1:35 scale. I know I will need to get 2 kits; a Tiger kit and a Russian T34. But I will need pictures and info about the tank first before I can start copping it.

Can someone share some light for this tank ?

PS: Mod, if this is not the correct forum to post this, please move.

Thanks,

I noticed that too when I first saw the film because it reminded me of the Tiger tank in "Kelly's Heroes" (one of my favorite flicks). I was wondering if it was the same tank or if they just did the same mods to a similar machine.

Unfortunately that's all I've got.

Dave C

From the wikipedia article on SPR...

This degree of verisimilitude was more difficult to achieve when depicting World War II German armored vehicles, as few examples survive in operating condition. The Tiger tanks in the film were copies built on the chassis of old, but functional Soviet T-34 tanks.[9] The two vehicles described in the film as 'Panzers' were built on the chassis of Czech-built Panzer 38(t) tanks.[10] Local re-enactment groups such as the Second Battle Group[11] were used as extras to play German and American soldiers.

IIRC, they talked about this in one of the HBO first look things about Band of Brothers since they used a large amount of the same props and locations for BoB that they did for SPR.

Thanks Dave and Mechamaniac.

I was hoping someone can post a picture of the actualy tank (front, back, top, and sides) since that would be very heplfull in determine the measurement of the turret and other stuff so it will fit to the T34 measurement.

Hey thanks Bernard.

That site is very usefull and pics are always extremely helpfull also.
I just wish they took a pic for the top side of the tank.

Thanks again...

Dang, its a small world. As soon as I saw that video bernard, I knew I've seen that background and tank before. That tank along with a bunch of other WW2 artillery pieces and boats is located about 3 miles down the road from me. A heavy equipment dealer has them on his lot. I think they use the business for storage and transport of the large equipment.

One of the "Tiger/T-34" tanks used in the film is currently in the collection at the Bovington Tank Museum, Dorset in the UK.

Unfortunately the Museum's closed for the next few weeks for renovations but they may have some reference photos on their website.

Dalroi

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang, its a small world. As soon as I saw that video bernard, I knew I've seen that background and tank before. That tank along with a bunch of other WW2 artillery pieces and boats is located about 3 miles down the road from me. A heavy equipment dealer has them on his lot. I think they use the business for storage and transport of the large equipment.

wow, I didn't know you lived in Gettysburg PA. thats a real historical place in American History

Hi

if you go to the link below you will find pictures of a simlar replica in the UK

http://www.tiger-1.org/

This thing is great fun as I made an LPG gun fire simulator for it so that the main gun apears to fire and so I acted as the gunner for some of it's battle re enactments this year.

wow, I didn't know you lived in Gettysburg PA. thats a real historical place in American History

I'm about 12 miles north, but it's the largest town near me here in the boonies. We're all a bunch of rebels anyhow just north of the Mason-Dixon line. :lolDo you need anything from Gettysburg?

I've been meaning to stop by and check out that WW2 equipment. It's been sitting there for a year now. It's mostly under tarps now with signs to stay away I can see from passing by on the highway, but maybe I'll sneak some pics someday.

Hi

if you go to the link below you will find pictures of a simlar replica in the UK

http://www.tiger-1.org/

This thing is great fun as I made an LPG gun fire simulator for it so that the main gun apears to fire and so I acted as the gunner for some of it's battle re enactments this year.
This Tiger was build on a T55 tank chasis. Not like the one in Saving Private Ryan.

Hey guys,

I have seen the movie Saving Private Ryan for a few times.
What interest me is the Tiger tank that they are using in the film.
Yes, I know it is NOT a true 100% Tiger tank, instead it is a conversion from a T-34 variant.

I'm trying to build this tank in 1:35 scale. I know I will need to get 2 kits; a Tiger kit and a Russian T34. But I will need pictures and info about the tank first before I can start copping it.

Can someone share some light for this tank ?

PS: Mod, if this is not the correct forum to post this, please move.

Thanks,

Hi,

Maybe you can try this site and contact the guys there http://www.vonabt.co.uk/. They build and have weekly 1/6 scale RC meets. They are quite an experts with Tiger tanks. They may be able to throw some light or direct you as well :confused.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back