Savage Opress saber build (complete)

MasterAnubis

Sr Member
I've been meaning to actually start this thing for over a year now. I have a modest 9x20 metal lathe that I've been learning and tooling up to do what I need. My intent here is to make as accruate a representation of the cartoon saber as I can with what I have.

To really start this thread I need to thank Jules (Darth Serberus) and his thread about his Savage Opress...
http://www.therpf.com/f24/savage-opress-wip-111463/

This is a WIP so I'm not done. I'm going to build two of them and probably have some "scrap" that looks really similar to some of my saber parts.
This is the center section that took me a while to set up for. The IDs on the ends are threaded and the black is paint. The wiper blades are just mocked up for pictures .

The emitter module is from thecustomsabershop and I threaded it to fit inside the extentions. These are the blade holders and the gaurds will go on the ends.

Just put together to see it light up. The one other end's blade holder is my prototype for my drawings and will not be used.

One of the reference captures:

Last edited:
Re: Savage Opress saber build (WIP)

This is looking really sweet so far. Savage Opress was an awesome character. Can't wait to see more.

Awesome one of my favorites from the clone wars love his sabers look. can`t wait to see this come together.

It's been a while. I got a little ticked at FB for reminding me how long it's been since I worked on some things... I've been on this off and on 'till recently when I got the reminder that I had a second anniversary of this project.

I have some pics of my progress and some short descriptions. Keep in mind that these are not necessarily in order of operations.

I had to figure out the layout of the screws and such on the then pieces to scale and relation. I had to have each end clocked together so I started on one end and then clocked the other to start it.
20151001_171849_zpszhk7yqb5.jpg

I drilled and tapped that holes and made the screw caps to my liking. 3 of the 4 screws are the same M6 screw.
20150927_073734_zpsx8hw2uxe.jpg

Here I actually added the old mill head as a lathe to the table so I could index the flats on it.
20151011_152746_zpsgdnnmhy7.jpg

I made the D ring out of stainless wire from an oven rack I had left over from a custom dish rack I made. I cross drilled the holes and then turned down the screw a little. then welded the D ring in.
20151004_154122_zpsn9n73vp5.jpg

I drew up and cut out an MDF version of the guard so that I can see the sizing and test the cut.
20150927_203450_zps58mjh8eu.jpg

Then I cut them out of aluminum.
20150930_165356_zpsaboqklyj.jpg

20150930_192603_zpsyurncya6.jpg

The LED module screws into the blade holder. So, the internals will be attached to that. I 3d printed some pieces for the test and I think this will do nicely once I make the whole setup more compact. I only have one LED right now and no sound card. The speaker holes and the on switch may prove challenging.
20151010_181506_zps9kwtwgt3.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Shawn

View attachment 540169

cool! Not sure if this will help you
Thanks. But, no. This is the whole pic of the last pic in the first post. I is a pretty solid pic that helped and I had to compare as much as possible from other screen shots. The toys and the other fan-made saber art also clued me into details that I needed to look for... you know, did other people see something I didn't?

Ultimately, I've been happy with my choices. The ratio of dimensions and the overall feel when assembles is pretty wild. I have printed the hand guard strip inserts on my 3d printer but I haven't decided yet if I will use them or make a master and cast them. I'm doing the finish work on the outside of it now and it's going well.

-Shawn

Ahh... I missed that you had it posted up there already... whoops

A little time has gone by but here are my pics.

The innards with the basic puck and AA batteries. I used this for a single sided light up example.
SavageOpressSaber006_zps6ygjuhgi.jpg

SavageOpressSaber005_zpsx8sy4emv.jpg

SavageOpressSaber003_zpsyolmhps1.jpg

I've started 3d modeling it so the I could print one...

SavageOpressSaberAllColor_zpsj4vyvcsu.png

Last edited:
I so neeed this!! Can you print one yet??
I have only printed a couple of the components. That last pic is the model I rendered. But really, I thought that there would be more interest in this so what I did is all I may do on the model. I may make another aluminum one all decked out but this fell to the back burner in favor of other projects.

I'm actually working on my own, along with a complete Savage costume, so I've been following this build. Since I just started getting active posting on here, and this just came back up on the boards, I just wanted to say how great it looks. Mine is mostly going to be built from TCSS pieces, with a few modifications. But because of that, while mine is going to look pretty close, it's not going to be as good as this one! Great work!

I'm actually working on my own, along with a complete Savage costume, so I've been following this build. Since I just started getting active posting on here, and this just came back up on the boards, I just wanted to say how great it looks. Mine is mostly going to be built from TCSS pieces, with a few modifications. But because of that, while mine is going to look pretty close, it's not going to be as good as this one! Great work!
Thanks!
I really like the every single piece I've gotten from TCSS. If I could have used more of their parts to make this the way I wanted, I would have. I considered doing a Savage costume and was pretty inspired by the member Darth Serberus in Ireland that did a saber and costume. He got me through the mental block of how the handle stripes were attached. Good luck, I'm looking forward to seeing your version!

Thanks!
I really like the every single piece I've gotten from TCSS. If I could have used more of their parts to make this the way I wanted, I would have. I considered doing a Savage costume and was pretty inspired by the member Darth Serberus in Ireland that did a saber and costume. He got me through the mental block of how the handle stripes were attached. Good luck, I'm looking forward to seeing your version!
Thanks...yes, Darth Serberus's was also very helpful for me, too.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back