NASA Built Saturn V Restoration Help

machzeropoint2

I recently acquired this absolutely beautiful model. It is a Saturn 5 model created by the Marshall Spaceflight Center's Graphic Engineering and Model Division. I believe the Smithsonian actually has a few of these on display. Mine is a little worse for the wear, It is my understanding that these were part of a traveling roadshow/ exhibit and were sent all over the country. I would like to restore it to its former glory, but it's a pretty intimidating project. The good news is I have most of the broken-off pieces. The clear plastic pieces present a unique challenge, and I'm unsure how to replicate them best. I worry trying to do the repairs myself, though hard to admit, may be beyond my current abilities. I wonder if anyone has any experience in the restoration of these models or can point me in the right direction. Open to any and all thoughts.

Smithsonian Example

Smithsonian Example 2

IMG_0321.jpgIMG_0323.jpgIMG_0324.jpgIMG_0322.jpg

It is ironic that the parts Elon wants to eliminate in real life to aid re-use is half the charm of the Saturns...the ullage rocket placements, the choreography of so many arms and umbilicals swinging away.

Starship launches will never be performance art as was the case with Saturn.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I actually had some luck reaching out to the Marshall model shop directly. They are unsure if they can actually help but they were certainly interested.

Ill keep the other two in mind though. I have actually been a fan of Scott Lowthers work for a while, I had no idea he was also a model guy.

That model is killer. The colors and decal details are great!

Can you get me some photos of each stage all around? Of particular interest are the markings on the first stage thrust assembly (between engines and fuel tank). I have collected a bunch of photos but due to the size of this ICBM it’s hard to keep orientation straight.

Like the fin IDs for example. I know they are A, B, C, and D but now I know they ascend anti-clockwise. Determining the location of A may be difficult but having the other decals properly oriented will be a big help!

IMG_0372.jpeg

Very interesting... a similar restoration project was taken on for a 7ft (1/48 scale) version for the Virginia Air and Space Museum by our model many years ago. It helped that one of our members was employed at the Langley Research Center Model Shop.
And eight years ago, I saw a rather forlorn example of the 7ft model at the Wallops Space Center Visitor's center that I'd asked about taking on for restoration but it never panned out... makes one wonder just how many of these artifacts are 'running around' these days!
;^)
Cheers and good luck!
Regards, Robert

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back